United States
Dz03GWMWkAAcW4l.jpg

GDznNEL.jpg

rvdqva1.jpg

IAF

l3ECjAn.jpg

I2e5wPL.png

IN

Little Tejas is under going an evolution.

How do canards help in overall functionality of the plane can anyone kindly explain

How do canards help in overall functionality of the plane can anyone kindly explain
Canards decrease stall speed, decrease take off distance and make it more maneuverable but sacrifice by adding weight, drag and reducing top speed. Canards also increase RCS.
Will need to add a more powerful power plant to overcome the negative impacts, internal fuel has to be increased to overcome the range loss from drag.
GE414 engine is the intended powerplant but now the additional thrust will be compensating for the other factors.

From what I have read in testing Tejas has excessive vibrations when firing its gun which is why the gun has not received FOC clearance. If issue is related to design, canards could maybe fix that too.

Now the interesting part is when will it make its first flight?

lets hope its endurance is larger this time so it can do more then a hour flight.

@pakistanipower notice its now fatter like F16s C/D in its fuselage with more internal fuel capacity. I told u, that Teja has mere 1 hr internal fuel capacity with a range of mere 600km.

lets hope its endurance is larger this time so it can do more then a hour flight.

@pakistanipower notice its now fatter like F16s C/D in its fuselage with more internal fuel capacity. I told u, that Teja has mere 1 hr internal fuel capacity with a range of mere 600km.

I think as long as the angle of attack is greater than 1000 kms, we should be good this time!

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/mala...ing-the-lca-tejas.596167/page-3#post-11115061

loiter time is just one hr........ angle of attack is just 600 km........do the maths!

@randomradio @kmc_chacko @Peshwa @VCheng @Vibrio @anant_s @Robinhood Pandey @Water Car Engineer @Joe Shearer @Skull and Bones @jbgt90

Canards decrease stall speed, decrease take off distance and make it more maneuverable but sacrifice by adding weight, drag and reducing top speed. Canards also increase RCS.
Will need to add a more powerful power plant to overcome the negative impacts, internal fuel has to be increased to overcome the range loss from drag.
GE414 engine is the intended powerplant but now the additional thrust will be compensating for the other factors.

From what I have read in testing Tejas has excessive vibrations when firing its gun which is why the gun has not received FOC clearance. If issue is related to design, canards could maybe fix that too.

Now the interesting part is when will it make its first flight?
This is complete redesign best case 2023 with induction 2026-27

This is complete redesign best case 2023 with induction 2026-27
Hi @ziaulislam
Actually to be honest, LCA MK2 is indeed a new plane altogther! It no longer is in light weight category and in fact comes in medium weight. Both the airforce and the naval version are completely redesigned with additional control surfaces. This redesign is very deep as it has undergone structural changes- for instance the fuselage has been widened to accomodate the new F414 engine making way for some 800+kgs of additional fuel. The fuel capacity will now increase beyond 3300kgs. This will make MK2 slightly bigger than the Mirage 2000. The main requirement from the IAF is that they want 6.5t payload capacity in LCA MK2. LCA MK2 will also incorporate a lot of lessons learnt via the LCA MK1 (FOC), LCA MK1A program- notably in the field of maintenance. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, LCA with canards was actually tried in wind tunnel facilities here in bangalore in early-mid 90s. It seems ADA has brought back the concept of canards because with a much more powerful engine and a lengthened airframe, they can accommodate the actuators for canards without degrading the performance of the jet.
The canards that you see in LCA are not the normal canards- they are close coupled canards similar to rafale and grippen. The close coupled canard sit very close to the main wing, slight above it. This allows canard to energize the flow over the wing- notably the wing root. When you energize the flow over a wing- you are essentially enhancing the normal lift of the main wing. The effect is more pronounced at higher AoAs. So at higher AoA, there is still sufficient lift available and the aircraft doesnt stall. This will effectively allow the LCA MK2 to pull higher AoAs than it's competitors as now canards will delay the stall. On the flipside it increases overall drag and requires a much more complicated flight control system. Speaking of digital flight control systems, it is one area where India has acquired sufficient expertise over past 3 decades.
What is also astonishing is that 6.5t payload will be distributed on 11 weapon stations with dual rack ejector for BVR. For me this is a very very serious capability enhancement (from 3.8-4t payload in MK1A to 6.5t in MK2).
Finally as for the time frames, it wont take as much time as it took them to graduate to LCA MK1A level because they have standardized on a lot of things and they are planning to construct 4 TDs after which serial production will directly start. There wont be any LSP stage in LCA MK2.

Last edited:
Good design changes. But I am worried about the induction timeline.

Also, the Indian Navy has not committed any real solid numbers for the naval variant.

They have still expressed keenness to actually have twin-engined medium sized jets off the carriers (either Super Hornets or Rafale-Ms). Navy would not go for a 4.5th generation single engine jet.

Aircraft carriers are not supposed to do a point-defence or interdiction role that Tejas will undertake. The are meant to do area denial over the seas and rain hell on enemy warships.

Back
Top Bottom