What's new

Nasa’s Opportunity rover could be rolling on Martian clays

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LONDON: Nasa’s Opportunity rover appears to have reached another milestone in its amazing nine-year mission on Mars.

Scientists report the robot has been trundling over what they believe to be clay-bearing rocks on the edge of a wide bowl known as Endeavour Crater. Clays are water-altered minerals, but very different to the ones seen by the rover so far on its travels.

Those previous minerals were in contact with acidic water; clays are formed in the presence of neutral water.

“What drives us to investigate the problem of water on Mars is the fact that water is a necessary condition for life; but there’s water and there’s water,” said Prof Steve Squyres, Opportunity’s principal investigator from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

“We’ve been seeing sulphate minerals from day one with this rover. These sulphates form under very acid conditions. And even though water was present, if it’s that acid it would be very challenging as a place for life to take hold.

“However, if it’s not acid, if it’s the kind of water you can drink, it’s the kind of water that’s going to be more suitable for life; and that’s what the clays point to,” he said.

Prof Squyres was speaking here this week at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, the largest annual gathering of Earth and planetary scientists. He was updating the meeting on the most recent work of the robot which landed on Mars in 2004 to investigate its potential for microbial habitability in the past.

Since August 2011, it has been driving across the western rim of the 22km-wide Endeavour depression. Opportunity is trying to understand the sequence of rocks at the crater which is likely to have been punched out of the ground by an asteroid more than three billion years ago.

As part of that study it has been surveying a mound the science team refers to as Matijevic Hill in honour of the late Jake Matijevic, a senior rover engineer.

Two outcrops, within 100m of each other, have caught the attention. The first, dubbed “Whitewater Lake”, is the one that appears to be clay-bearing. “The nature of the rocks that we have found, that we think are the ones that contain the clays, are very soft,” explained Prof Squyres.

“They’re light-toned; they’re very fine-grained - so all the things that you would expect if clay minerals were present. They’re layered and their composition is consistent with clay minerals being present.”

The second outcrop is called “Kirkwood”. This comprises small spheres caught in a matrix. At first, the team thought they had stumbled upon more of the famous haematite (an iron-rich mineral) “blueberries” seen earlier in Opportunity’s mission. But Steve Squyres says these “newberries” seem to have a quite distinct composition.

The investigation of the two outcrops is still in its infancy. As well as using the rover’s X-ray spectrometer on Whitewater Lake and Kirkwood to determine the chemical elements present, and thus get a better idea of their mineralogical composition, the team needs to work out the order and position of the rock layers to tell them something of their relative ages. At the moment, it is not clear whether the two outcrops relate to a period from before or after the creation of Endeavour.

Nasa

I always wondered. If they opportunity and Curiosity had souls and intelligent mind what would they be thinking that are all alone on a barren world with no one to talk and no one to whisper to.

And will humanity will ever be to leave the boundaries of solar system considering that Voyager 1 is still in the realm of SOL and its been 30+ years since its launch. And how will it feel to step on a far away world and what will it look like. And even with the most powerful telescopes we have not been able to take a clear picture of Pluto.

IMO Humanity will not be able to atleast step out of solar system for next 1000 years. Because with so much spending on War and defense sector Space Programs are not getting there fare share.

And i always thought that what happen to Muslims who were so much advance in astronomy and cosmology and now we are no where to be seen. Do u know there are hundreds of stars in arabic name.

I salute to machines taking the first step for Humans and go boldly where no man has gone before.

I have an Idea we should make a sticky thread where people can talk about Universe.

IMO Humanity will not be able to atleast step out of solar system for next 1000 years. Because with so much spending on War and defense sector Space Programs are not getting there fare share.

lol, yea 1000 years if religious bigots get a hold on everything....100 years is much more likely. There are probes (Deep Space-1, GOCE) flying with ion engine right now across the solar system and bigger prototypes are already being built.
They would allow us to reach Mars in ~40 days as opposed to 6 months now.

dn12709-1_517.jpg

lol, yea 1000 years if religious bigots get a hold on everything....100 years is much more likely. There are probes (Deep Space-1, GOCE) flying with ion engine right now across the solar system and bigger prototypes are already being built.
They would allow us to reach Mars in ~40 days as opposed to 6 months now.

dn12709-1_517.jpg

Sorry ION drive is good option But it has its drawback. It is a combination of ION Fuel and electricity and it will take alot of time to accelerate the ship.You have to have a source that can fulfill long time Energy needs depending on the size of ship and also the fuel for ION drive is another matter just to let u know there is no Interstellar ION drive right now or i missed something. And right now top speed achieved is approx 32,000miles/hr not good for mission critical and certainly not good for Interstellar voyage.

I know 1000 years is exaggerated but current conditions support this claim. But its in the nature of Human to evolve.

Sorry ION drive is good option But it has its drawback. It is a combination of ION Fuel and electricity and it will take alot of time to accelerate the ship.You have to have a source that can fulfill long time Energy needs depending on the size of ship and also the fuel for ION drive is another matter just to let u know there is no Interstellar ION drive right now or i missed something. And right now top speed achieved is approx 32,000miles/hr not good for mission critical and certainly not good for Interstellar voyage.

I know 1000 years is exaggerated but current conditions support this claim. But its in the nature of Human to evolve.

Yes, i know ion drive isn't suitable for extra solar exploration. I just tried to use it as an example of how things wont be stuck on chemical rockets for a millenia.

As for the fuel part, it doesn't even compare to the guzzling of rockets. IIRC it's on the order of 10 times more efficient.

Modern ion thrusters are capable of propelling a spacecraft up to 90,000 meters per second (over 200,000 miles per hour (mph). To put that into perspective, the space shuttle is capable of a top speed of around 18,000 mph. The tradeoff for this high top speed is low thrust (or low acceleration). Thrust is the force that the thruster applies to the spacecraft. Modern ion thrusters can deliver up to 0.5 Newtons (0.1 pounds) of thrust, which is equivalent to the force you would feel by holding nine U.S. quarters in your hand. To compensate for low thrust, the ion thruster must be operated for a long time for the spacecraft to reach its top speed. Ion thrusters use inert gas for propellant, eliminating the risk of explosions associated with chemical propulsion. The usual propellant is xenon, but other gases such as krypton and argon may be used.

NASA - Ion Propulsion

but yeah, interstellar drive is something that's still in the realms of sci-fi for now, sadly. Although, the theory of Star Trek style propulsion was already made, it's called the Alcubierre drive after some Spaniard.

NASA Actually Working on Faster-than-Light Warp Drive | TIME.com

works on principle of contracting space infront and expanding it at the back of the ship. technically the ship is standing still, thus not violating any laws, but the pace of contraction and expansion results in the ship moving faster then light relative to a stationary object.

Yes, i know ion drive isn't suitable for extra solar exploration. I just tried to use it as an example of how things wont be stuck on chemical rockets for a millenia.

As for the fuel part, it doesn't even compare to the guzzling of rockets. IIRC it's on the order of 10 times more efficient.

NASA - Ion Propulsion

but yeah, interstellar drive is something that's still in the realms of sci-fi for now, sadly. Although, the theory of Star Trek style propulsion was already made, it's called the Alcubierre drive after some Spaniard.

NASA Actually Working on Faster-than-Light Warp Drive | TIME.com

works on principle of contracting space infront and expanding it at the back of the ship. technically the ship is standing still, thus not violating any laws, but the pace of contraction and expansion results in the ship moving faster then light relative to a stationary object.

No doubt it is far far better than the rockets which are used today. And thanks for providing some new information on this subject.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom