What's new

Narendra Modi to Sail on Board INS Vikramaditya on june 14

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian_Navy_flotilla_Vikramaditya1.jpg

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will sail on INS Vikramaditya, the largest warship of the Indian Navy, off the coast of Goa on June 14.

The Prime Minister will dedicate the warship, India's second aircraft carrier after INS Virat, to the nation on that day, Navy sources said today.
The warship is already in the Arabian Sea. INS Vikramaditya is the newest and largest ship to join Indian Navy on November 16, 2013.

The ship was commissioned by the then Defence Minister A K Antony in Russia. Vikramaditya, the floating airfield, has an overall length of about 284 meters and a maximum beam of about 60 meters, stretching as much as three football fields put together. Standing about 20 storeys tall from keel to the highest point, the ship has a total of 22 decks.

With over 1,600 personnel on board, Vikramaditya is literally a 'floating city.'

Associated with this large population is a mammoth logistics requirement - nearly a lakh of eggs, 20,000 litres of milk and 16 tonnes of rice per month.

With her complete stock of provisions, she is capable of sustaining herself at sea for about 45 days

Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Sail on Board INS Vikramaditya | NDTV.com

Indian_Navy_flotilla_Vikramaditya1.jpg

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will sail on INS Vikramaditya, the largest warship of the Indian Navy, off the coast of Goa on June 14.

The Prime Minister will dedicate the warship, India's second aircraft carrier after INS Virat, to the nation on that day, Navy sources said today.
The warship is already in the Arabian Sea. INS Vikramaditya is the newest and largest ship to join Indian Navy on November 16, 2013.

The ship was commissioned by the then Defence Minister A K Antony in Russia. Vikramaditya, the floating airfield, has an overall length of about 284 meters and a maximum beam of about 60 meters, stretching as much as three football fields put together. Standing about 20 storeys tall from keel to the highest point, the ship has a total of 22 decks.

With over 1,600 personnel on board, Vikramaditya is literally a 'floating city.'

Associated with this large population is a mammoth logistics requirement - nearly a lakh of eggs, 20,000 litres of milk and 16 tonnes of rice per month.

With her complete stock of provisions, she is capable of sustaining herself at sea for about 45 days

Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Sail on Board INS Vikramaditya | NDTV.com
Hoping there will be a huge media contingent going for this and lots and lots of pictures and videos will come out. More than 4 months in Indian waters and we are STILL yet to see an Indian Navy MiG-29K/KUB take off and land on the Viky.

Would be a nice gesture, if he invites MMS as well, since it was a personal wish of him too.
That would be an excellent gesture!

Yeah..!! But if MMS accepts his invite , Mani Shankar Aiyer will come up with another deadly article titled

Hehe possible, but as Shashi Tharoor, we should consider MMS to be smarter than Mani Shankar Aiyer and far less blinded by party politics. MMS is not in power anymore, so as a former PM of "all Indians", it would only be a matter of respect if Modi gives him this chance.

Hoping there will be a huge media contingent going for this and lots and lots of pictures and videos will come out. More than 4 months in Indian waters and we are STILL yet to see an Indian Navy MiG-29K/KUB take off and land on the Viky.
Hope Defence Ministry take a cue out of Modi's PR machine and engage more with people :-):-)

Hope Defence Ministry take a cue out of Modi's PR machine and engage more with people :-):-)
Agreed but I'm not overly hopeful- much of the opaqueness is intentional because the Indian Military is very secretive- perhaps overly at times.

Agreed but I'm not overly hopeful- much of the opaqueness is intentional because the Indian Military is very secretive- perhaps overly at times.
But engaging with fans on FB like US Military won't harm anything :)

You known Indian MOD people they won't release pictures unless its extremely important.

Not only Viky, add the P-8, Chakra, etc.. to the list.

You known Indian MOD people they won't release pictures unless its extremely important.

The Indian MoD and the military suck at PR... they really do.

One of the reasons why we have problems like an shortage of officers.

But engaging with fans on FB like US Military won't harm anything

True the IA did just set up an official Twitter account last year. However I would say there was still a mindset in the Indian Mil that is very guarded and wants to keep everything away from public eyes. The IA recently reaffirmed a directive to all its ranks banning them from having any social media accounts -Twitter, Facebook etc. I know of a Lt last year who got into a LOT of trouble because he was posing with a civilian friend in his uniform who subsequently posted this pic on Facebook.

Similarly I've seen a blog where a family (from the UK) posted a pic of the EXTERIOR of the INS Shivlaik at some distance down in the waters of Goa and the Indian Mil phoned them up and told them to remove it along with other epics they had of Indian mil officers and bases (the husband is an officer in the RAF who had taken part in a year long course in India) even though none of the pics were of anything sensitive.

Not only Viky, add the P-8, Chakra, etc.. to the list.
I can understand the Chakra- the IN has every right to keep pics of its SSNs and SSBNs under wraps (how many pics have we had of the Arihant? One to date and that's low resolution at that). Similarly, the IAF is right to be tight-lipped when it comes to their top of the line AWACs. It is very rarely pictured and there have been 0 pictures of its interior since entering Indian service.

I will add it is a damn shame there hasn't been much coverage given to the likes of the P-8I and C-17.

I am not sure about it.
I believe Indian army has been so forever now,most of our officers dont give out their exact locations on FB,dont post their pics clicked inside their units which I think is a mark of a good soldier.
I have had arguments with admins of many Indian army FB pages (and Pak army FB pages) after admins refused to fade out the names of officers from their badges on pics published on their respective fb pages.
Look around on this forum you will see many Pakistanis flaunting their ISI connection ...and not many Indians do the same when it comes to RAW.
I prefer it this way..... :-)

. More than 4 months in Indian waters and we are STILL yet to see an Indian Navy MiG-29K/KUB take off and land on the Viky.

When you gave Vikramaditya a petname ...you should 've atleast given it an Indian name. :P

The Indian MoD and the military suck at PR... they really do.

One of the reasons why we have problems like an shortage of officers.
Lets see if increasing the salaries of soldiers at par with the market rates would help ease the situation or not.

Btw I dont think they should have given the exact date of this event too.

Hehe possible, but as Shashi Tharoor, we should consider MMS to be smarter than Mani Shankar Aiyer and far less blinded by party politics. MMS is not in power anymore, so as a former PM of "all Indians", it would only be a matter of respect if Modi gives him this chance.

There is a cost associated with bringing the top boss of India onboard as such. Modi will be holding key discussions that is not known outside with officials of INS Vikramaditya. That's what leaders usually do. This commemorating, dedicating etc is for media consumption.

The carrier will be on a red alert already. We don't need another man to come up and waste tax payers' money than the billions that he has already wasted in other areas.

Lets see if increasing the salaries of soldiers at par with the market rates would help ease the situation or not.

I think that trying to keep up with the private sector in terms of salaries is not going to work anyways.
Better to increase promotion chances, post service opportunities and privileges, quality of military life and advertisement.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom