What's new

Narendra Modi Cabinet reshuffle LIVE updates: Nirmala Sitharaman becomes new defence minister

Nirmala Sitharaman is new defence minister

Nirmala Sitharaman. who earlier held the independent charge of the commerce and industry ministry, has become the first independent woman defence minister of India.

Good. She is a no nonsense taskmaster.

But she is a refined technocrat; not a military/intelligence/strategy thinker. She was a superb commerce minister for industries and all but defence?

They need to get someone from the environment and no one else is better suited than Gen. VK Singh to become the defence minister. He will be in his element and he knows the ins and outs of the defence especially in the border regions.

I don't understand why doesn't PM Modi make him the defence minister.

Man why they removed Piyush Goyal from his ministry, the man was working so good in renewable power sector

I agree;

Suresh Prabhu and Piyush Goel were doing a fantastic job. Just because of one mishap (that too after the perpetrator being caught in Nepal by the police), doesn't mean he was a bad minister.

But she is a refined technocrat; not a military/intelligence/strategy thinker. She was a superb commerce minister for industries and all but defence?

They need to get someone from the environment and no one else is better suited than Gen. VK Singh to become the defence minister. He will be in his element and he knows the ins and outs of the defence especially in the border regions.

I agree;

Suresh Prabhu and Piyush Goel were doing a fantastic job. Just because of one mishap (that too after the perpetrator being caught in Nepal by the police), doesn't mean he was a bad minister.
Appointing an ex-army chief as DM would've been a idiotic move...it would lead to a power struggle in the government!
Nirmala sitharaman is a safe choice...no nonsense beaurocrat! That's what ministry for defence need now...to streamline the modernization!!

Mrs.niramala sitharaman as a defnece minister is more shocker to me than north korea conducted nuclear test !!

I agree;

VK singh would be a bad choice. He is too much of a loose canon.
But their are literally hundreds of ex defence guys who can do the job of a defense minister.
Maybe make them minister of state at the start to ease them into the job.
From a personal anecdote I can tell u that the bureaucrats in defense are so lacking in knowledge that they don't know the difference between a Corp and a division. And these are the guys who take all of the important decisions.

Modi has not taken the sort of bold decisions I wanted from him.
Why not make Sreedharan the infrastructure minister ?
A guy who knows the in and out of working in India , impeccably honest and a proven doer.
Also a minister for handling the growing population ? A separate minister is need to start a campaign to reduce the population growth rate to below the replacement rate.

Modi has not taken the sort of bold decisions I wanted from him.
Why not make Sreedharan the infrastructure minister ?
A guy who knows the in and out of working in India , impeccably honest and a proven doer.
Also a minister for handling the growing population ? A separate minister is need to start a campaign to reduce the population growth rate to below the replacement rate.

I was thinking why not make sreedharan railway minister , only he can run an elephant like railways , he has decades of experience and knows how to deal with lower officers who will do as they please no matter which govt comes into power at delhi

he is a bit controversial , can't keep a lid on his mouth

he is a bit controversial , can't keep a lid on his mouth

Controversy is Burkha Dutt's illegitimate child, dude.

Gen. Singh is a decorated Army Officer. He is also the only commando to have reached the rank of general in India.

He has bled for the country and stood strong against our enemies.

A defence minister is supposed to be fierce and ferocious in his speech.

Not like that clown Anthony.

PM Modi can just ask Gen. Singh not to interact with the media until told and let him actually do something for the troops on ground.

Appointing Sitharaman for this post is like appointing a Chartered accountant to make a car.

Let's see how she does.
Simple she do not know anything about defence even if someone ask which rifle army's standard assault rifle ans is only smile, so don't be excited all politicians are same and all depend on corrupt military General or nukarshah

She looks pretty,but I fear another st antony is in making.

Back
Top Bottom