What's new

Nag hits a moving target in 3.2 seconds

And another interesting question ... What would happen if the missile is fired and the lock is broken for a fraction of second (if it goes behind a boulder or something ) and then reestablished ....is this supported by NAG ....can namica again send inputs to NAG (in its terminal flight stage)....

Also can the missile course be altered mid flight ? i.e lock was achived on one vehicle , but the launcher decides to target an another vehicle after launching the missile ?

Connection can be re-established if broken just for a fraction of second. If more than that, it would take more time to re-connect but the missile could have touched ground by then. Connection getting broken is not possible because the frequencies these work at are classified.

Yes, the missile course can be revised or updated midcourse. The missile itself doesn't lock on anything. It is just following the path set by NAMICA, so all changes need to be done on NAMICA. The revised path can then be sent to Nag.

This is the next milestone..... something like Javelin missile

javelin-missile.jpg

Hell fire has a semi active laser sensor in addition to a mmw sensor.

So it can home on to its target without any input from the carrier.

It is a true fire and forget missile.

Spike missile, although equipped with a IIR sensor too can guide itself on to a target without any assistance.

Now that is what i call a Fire and forget missile...... Hope DRDO can soon achieve this....

Now that is what i call a Fire and forget missile...... Hope DRDO can soon achieve this....

My imaginations are running wild ....and the below post is a result of that (couple with the fact that its midnight over here)....These one of the updates that i wish DRDO can think about...

I just had a thought..... Raytheon it seems devised a smart munition (bomb)...which when released ...disperses many bomblets...these bomblets themselves are so intelligent that it can track and identify enemy tanks and destroy them individually......
so effectively maybe one bomb can destroy as many as 10 enemy tanks with a great distance amongst them....

What if NAG can release these bomblets... ? a single NAG destroying many tanks ....that would be killer stuff ...something that would be unbeatable....

So any scientists lurking around...put some thoughts... :)

Kinetic it does matter , atleast in my POV....

what is the launcher (Namica) is not capable of achieving a lock on to the target on the move ? i.e it has to be stationary to achive a lock..

If that is the case then we may have a problem.

Actually its easier for NAMICA to lock on the target before launch because of its high sensitive long range systems than using other sensors. There are also certain advantages of LOBL.

If one NAMICA is not capable of locking due to hurdle in a direct line of sight than UAVs are there and other NAMICAs are available. They can communicate with each other. Whether its stationary or moving doesn't matter.

Actually its easier for NAMICA to lock on the target before launch because of its high sensitive long range systems than using other sensors. There are also certain advantages of LOBL.

If one NAMICA is not capable of locking due to hurdle in a direct line of sight than UAVs are there and other NAMICAs are available. They can communicate with each other. Whether its stationary or moving doesn't matter.

True ...but thats a workaround...and not a capability !

My imaginations are running wild ....and the below post is a result of that (couple with the fact that its midnight over here)....These one of the updates that i wish DRDO can think about...

I just had a thought..... Raytheon it seems devised a smart munition (bomb)...which when released ...disperses many bomblets...these bomblets themselves are so intelligent that it can track and identify enemy tanks and destroy them individually......
so effectively maybe one bomb can destroy as many as 10 enemy tanks with a great distance amongst them....

What if NAG can release these bomblets... ? a single NAG destroying many tanks ....that would be killer stuff ...something that would be unbeatable....

Which missile are you talking about? NLOS? I guess Indian army already shown interest in it.

It won't be possible on a missile like Nag since its too small, and as it is carry a small explosive.

Those bombs are big in size and dropped from aircrafts like bombers.

In a missile, things happen so fast that there just is not enough time to act. We can develop something like this, but it would be at least 20 times heavier than Nag, and would have to climb to altitude at least 7-8 times that of Nag, and each mini bomb in the missile will have to have its own active seeker. All this comes at a huge expense.

And then it has its disadvantages too. What if we only need to bust 2-3 tanks? What if the tanks are too far apart? What if the missile is shot down?

So Nag today is a cheaper and simpler solution. We can make more missiles for more tanks, at a much cheaper price.

So Nag today is a cheaper and simpler solution. We can make more missiles for more tanks, at a much cheaper price.

True ....but never say never i guess...the way technology is miniaturizing itself is amazing....maybe we can find a way....but this just a wish list , although i understand and agree with the problems you mentioned above....

But maybe somebody should give it a thought ...not in the form of NAG, maybe something else.....

True ....but never say never i guess...the way technology is miniaturizing itself is amazing....maybe we can find a way....but this just a wish list , although i understand and agree with the problems you mentioned above....

But maybe somebody should give it a thought ...not in the form of NAG, maybe something else.....

Yes, it will materialize someday. Someday making something like that would be feasible. But unfortunately its not today.

Actually, this is no more a wishlist.

Indian airforce and GOI has already set the things in motion (since 2008) in this direction. Indian airforce will be getting CBU-105 sensor fuzed weapons or cluster bombs.

These cluster bombs will be freefall, but since DRDO has already developed and tested successfully its LGB kit recently. It is only a matter of time before DRDO marries CBU-105 with LGB kit.

Moreever, DRDO can easily use strap-on motors to enhance its range and accuracy and I am 100% sure it will done in a couple of years.

Biggest advantage we need to consider is the weapon SFW we are getting will have a similar submunition like AGM-154 i.e. BLU-108.

These SFW will have 10 submunition each containing 4 smart Skeet warheads totalling 40 warheads capable of targetting multiple stationary as well as moving targets.

Anathema ,
The mid-course guidance thing you want is not present in Nag . :P

Infact namica has to provide the first digital snapshot for reference
Once its launched , it is onboard seeker which guides it .
Kinetic mentioned it .
if NAMICA - can't lock , NAG can't be fired .

Situation you are talking off ,
seeker goes blind like that - No option , seeker Fails Missile is dead .
Target hides - target wont know missile is approaching bcoz plume is only for 1-2 secs during Launch .
Some security is being planned for Helina where Lock-on is achieved after firing (LOAL) with mid-phase guidance and back-link . But all this only till Mid-phase .
For the terminal phase , it has in-built guidance to allign itself to attack top of the tank .

Kinetic - what is actually that FPA , is it meant to replace CCD/Cmos imager ? ?
mmW + FPA if actually are onboard /tested , NAG would be an hell of quantum jump .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom