What's new

Nag hits a moving target in 3.2 seconds

One more question ?

Was the missile carrier moving or was it stationary before launching a missile on the moving target ?

All the youtube vids shows missile carrier as stationary ... any ideas ?

Well , Missile carrier generally don't really lead the Charge anywhere.

They only complement the remaining forces , you don't need them to fire on the move.

They will either break the Back of the Enemy advance or Crack the shell of their defence either way , They don't need to be able to fire on the move to do that.

What i am more interested in is whether or not they can ripple launch.

Can you explain a bit more ? I am a novice.

also i read this a long time ago , that the seeker has a camera inside it for comparison during terminal flight stage. What is the use and how does it help ?
There is no camera inside the seeker. The IR seeker is sometimes called a camera because IR is very near the visible spectrum of light and devices based on IR work similarly to cameras.
also how does it compare against other ATGM's ? javelin, spike , etc ?

The Nag is comparable to the Spike, Javelin and Hellfire. It too is a missile that attacks from the top like the hellfire. The ranges are comparable to the short range versions of Spike.

One more question ?

Was the missile carrier moving or was it stationary before launching a missile on the moving target ?

The missile carrier can be moving or stationary. It doesn't make a difference to the missile.

Well , Missile carrier generally don't really lead the Charge anywhere.

They only complement the remaining forces , you don't need them to fire on the move.

They will either break the Back of the Enemy advance or Crack the shell of their defence either way , They don't need to be able to fire on the move to do that.

What i am more interested in is whether or not they can ripple launch.

I dont agree with that.. the reason being..missile carrier will themselves be targeted by enemy ATGM's.... i mean we wont be the only ones having ATGM's..
So if a enemy vehicle is causing destruction in my camp, its pretty much sure that there will be attacks against it.

Aiming if stationary would mean that it would be a sitting duck for enemy spotters to take a shot...

Also how will ripple launch help ? For a ripple launch to have real effect - you need the ability to lock on to multiple targets OR you need the ability to Lock on after lauch....i dont believe we have either of those..... So untill we sort out these issues , ripple will not be effective....

My two cents.

The missile carrier can be moving or stationary. It doesn't make a difference to the missile.

True .... i was more interested if there is a capability in the missle carrier to lock on to a enemy vehicle on the move while itself being on the move ?

There is no difference to missile since once a lock is achieved a missile can be on its way i belive...

This brings me to another question....do we have to maintain the lock after we fire the missile ...or its truly a fire and forget missile (i.e we scout after firing)

Can you explain a bit more ? I am a novice.

also i read this a long time ago , that the seeker has a camera inside it for comparison during terminal flight stage. What is the use and how does it help ?

also how does it compare against other ATGM's ? javelin, spike , etc ?

Apologies , i am new to nag and all the related development.

I think you heard about CCD and CMOS sensors, FPA is also some kind of imaging sensor but more complex and high tech than CCD and CMOS.

Focal plane array (FPA) is a technology usually used for wide range of imaging devices but commonly it refers to two dimensional arrays that detects IR spectrum. The image generated by the FPA is very sensitive and clear thus with proper algorithm it allows to differentiate between tank and other vehicles or objects.

Development and production of FPA requires high end technologies including some exotic materials those are very difficult to develop.

Nag is a heavier carrier based ATGM unlike Javelin or Spike which are man portable. It also carriers more explosives and kinetic energy thus much more firepower.

True .... i was more interested if there is a capability in the missle carrier to lock on to a enemy vehicle on the move while itself being on the move ?

There is no difference to missile since once a lock is achieved a missile can be on its way i belive...

This brings me to another question....do we have to maintain the lock after we fire the missile ...or its truly a fire and forget missile (i.e we scout after firing)

The seeker on the missile is a passive seeker, which means that it doesn't itself lock on to something, it follows the path described by the launcher.

The launcher is the one that locks on and has to maintain it till the missile hits the target.

The missile is fire and forget in the way that once the missile is fired the computers take on and the missile doesn't need manual input to guide it.

Nag needs lock-on before launch (LOBL), so it doesn't matter that Namica is stationary or in motion.

The HELINA version would be a little different. In HELINA, the missile can be launched without a lock on and when the missile starts its descent midway, it sends back IR images to the controller on the helicopter. Then the controller can mark the target, after which the missile follows the path set by the controller.

But the missile can not work without the inputs from the launch vehicle or launch helicopter.

The missile is fire and forget in the way that once the missile is fired the computers take on and the missile doesn't need manual input to guide it.

Thanks.....Hmmmm not exactly what i thought ......

How does Javelin , spike , hellfire compare in this arena ? DO they need the constant input from the launcher or can they scout after firing ?

One more question ?

As jagjit mentioned it doesn't matter if the carrier is moving or stationary. Thats one huge advantage of 'fire and forget' principal and carrier based IIR seeking missiles.

Nag needs lock-on before launch (LOBL), so it doesn't matter that Namica is stationary or in motion.

Question is not about NAG...question is about Namica whether it can achive a lock on a moving target while itself being on move ....

And another interesting question ... What would happen if the missile is fired and the lock is broken for a fraction of second (if it goes behind a boulder or something ) and then reestablished ....is this supported by NAG ....can namica again send inputs to NAG (in its terminal flight stage)....

Also can the missile course be altered mid flight ? i.e lock was achived on one vehicle , but the launcher decides to target an another vehicle after launching the missile ?

Thanks.....Hmmmm not exactly what i thought ......

How does Javelin , spike , hellfire compare in this arena ? DO they need the constant input from the launcher or can they scout after firing ?

Hell fire has a semi active laser sensor in addition to a mmw sensor.

So it can home on to its target without any input from the carrier.

It is a true fire and forget missile.

Spike missile, although equipped with a IIR sensor too can guide itself on to a target without any assistance.

As jagjit mentioned it doesn't matter if the carrier is moving or stationary. Thats one huge advantage of 'fire and forget' principal and carrier based IIR seeking missiles.

Kinetic it does matter , atleast in my POV....

what is the launcher (Namica) is not capable of achieving a lock on to the target on the move ? i.e it has to be stationary to achive a lock..

If that is the case then we may have a problem.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom