What's new

[Must Read] A dispatch from Afghanistan: What the Taliban offensive in Kunduz reveals

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vanda Felbab-Brown is one of the giants of the Foreign Policy in the US -- an immigrant herself -- she graduated from both Harvard and MIT. Her analyses are always original and never pant the tiered old lines. She is in Afghanistan again and here is a piece written by here.

Two things stood out.

1. Even she accuses the ISI of helping the Taliban this time on Kunduz -- Vanda is very level headed on Pakistan and her saying so is very serious -- it is an indicative of where the policy wonks in the US might be headed

2. She does rebuke Afghan politicians -- she seems to say: yes Pakistan is bad but if you don't clean up your house you are going to collapse.

1. .........

The Taliban operation to take Kuduz was very well-planned and put together over a period of months, perhaps years. Foreign fighters from Central Asia, China, and Pakistan featured prominently among the mix of some 1,000 fighters, adding much heft to local militias that the Taliban mobilized against the militias of the dominant powerbrokers and the United States, as well as the government-sponsored Afghan Local Police. The support of Pakistan's Inter-services Intelligence for the Taliban, which the country has not been able to sever despite a decade of pressure from the United States and more recent engagement from China, significantly augmented the Taliban's capacities.

2. .........

Equally imperative is that Afghan politicians put aside their self-interested scheming and rally behind the country to enable the government to function, or they will push Afghanistan over the brink into paralysis, intensified insurgency, and outright civil war. In addition to restraining their political and monetary ambitions and their many powerplays in Kabul, they need to recognize that years of abusive, discriminatory, exclusionary governance; extensive corruption; and individual and ethnic patronage and nepotism were the crucial roots of the crisis in Kunduz and elsewhere. These have corroded the Afghan Army and permeate the Afghan Police and anti-Taliban militias. Beyond blaming Pakistan, Afghan politicians and powerbrokers need to take a hard look at their behavior over the recent days and over many years and realize they have much to do to clean their own house to avoid disastrous outcomes for Afghanistan. To satisfy these politicians, many from the north of the country and prominent long-term powerbrokers, President Ghani decided over the past few days to include them more in consultations and power-sharing. Many Afghan people welcome such more inclusive politics, arguing that while the very survival of the country might be at stake, grand governance and anti-corruption ambitions need to be shelved. That may be a necessary bargain, but it is a Faustian one. Not all corruption or nepotism can or will disappear. But unless outright rapacious, exclusionary, and deeply predatory governance is mitigated, the root causes of the insurgency will remain unaddressed and the state-building project will have disappeared into fiefdoms and lasting conflict. At that point, even negotiations with the Taliban will not bring peace.

It reveals Taliban actually survived the carpet bombing of 500kg bombs and thermal chargers etc. and continhe with secret buildup, until today, hence the surprise. At the same time it also raise question about the identity of people burried in mass graves! And who is there financer this time and where are the training camps?

I just see whole fiasco a cheap shot to build excuse for delivering F-16 to Afghanistan.

It reveals Taliban actually survived the carpet bombing of 500kg bombs and thermal chargers etc. and continhe with secret buildup, until today, hence the surprise. At the same time it also raise question about the identity of people burried in mass graves! And who is there financer this time and where are the training camps?

I just see whole fiasco a cheap shot to build excuse for delivering F-16 to Afghanistan.
This why the West failed in Afghanistan. You can't just bomb the Taliban and expect to see them weakened. Sure you'll kill some fighters but u won't affect their overall fighting capacity. In order to do that u need to take the country side like Pakistan has in Tirah Valley and SWAT.

Afganistan can only be at peace when its own people desires...One can not enforce peace from outside when people from own nation are fighting with each other..

You know when people accuse the ISI of being involved, my question is "where is the evidence?" You can't go around accusing people without evidence just because someone, might have said something. It just undermines your credibility, NOT the one you are accusing.

Someone like it or not, from Pakistan's pov it's simple, secure our interests we will secure yours.

You know when people accuse the ISI of being involved, my question is "where is the evidence?" You can't go around accusing people without evidence just because someone, might have said something. It just undermines your credibility, NOT the one you are accusing.
Evidence is not always needed to be right, if evidence was always needed then you would be acting like a kid that doesn't believe until it see's what he denies. If Taliban act differently in comparison to years ago then something changed, being more professional and or are getting information and denying that Pakistani don't have any connection with Taliban is simply denial of reality and you can't deny that inflitration is always a possibility and no organization is completelly free of spies for long term... Money talks and Pakistani isn't really a rich country nor is the pay that good except for higher officers yet again everything has a price.

Hi,

In this day and age you don't need an intelligence agency to plan your attack. Taliban are seasoned enough to have their own planners and planning to take down a city---.

The U S has been a good teacher----. Kunduz is a clear message to Afghanistan---come back to the peace talk table with Afghan Taliban-----. Just because Mullah Umar is dead---does not mean that the afghan Taliban are dead.

Somebody above asked for evidence
Lets see if I am feeling lucky.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Video is from original attempts to broker peace through Jirga in early 2000s.

Posting a dumb video of a tribal meet, out of context, is evidence that ISI was involved in Kunduz? What is wrong with you?
First thing that came up in Google Search. Maybe I am not that lucky.
And Indus, my post was really in support of my earlier post here, which you happily reported.
I guess, practically speaking, every single Western diplomat, journalist, Af-Pak watcher and so on, are completely clueless and wrong about Pakistan's support to Taliban and we must all take the word of Pakistani populace (commoners, not some one even more clueless like ex-dictators and ex-ISI chiefs) over them.

Back
Top Bottom