What's new

Muslims are not minorities, Parsis are: Najma Heptullah

illusion8

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Minority affairs minister Najma Heptullah on Tuesday said Muslims were not minorities by any stretch of the imagination and instead Parsis with their dwindling population qualified for the tag.

On her first day in office, Heptullah appeared determined to reorient the ministry by playing down its role in welfare of Muslims and dismissing the policies espoused by the UPA government.

"Muslims are not minorities. Parsis are. We have to see how we can help them so that their numbers don't diminish," she told reporters when asked how her government proposed to take Muslim welfare forward.

With more questions about the community being lobbed at her, Heptullah snapped back, "This is not the ministry for Muslim affairs, this is the ministry for minority affairs."

The remarks from the experienced politician, who is the grand-niece of freedom fighter Abul Kalam Azad and has played the major part of her political innings in Congress, appeared in line with BJP's point of view. There was speculation in the run-up to government formation that Prime Minister Narendra Modi may disband the minority affairs ministry or merge it with a bigger ministry like social justice, a reason why the appointment of a minister came as a surprise.

However, a change of approach may be in store. Given that most of the ministry's policies are specifically targeted at Muslims, Heptullah steered clear of giving her views on the policies or what she planned to do. "Till I get guidance from the PM, I will not draw a roadmap for my ministry," she said.

Muslims are not minorities, Parsis are: Najma Heptullah - The Times of India

I agree with her. @Tshering22

Very good statement by Madam heptullah .

This minority majority concept was created by jinn-a & ML to get leverage and pursue his career as politician(after early failures)

sadly his counterparts(congis) continued it .

I can expect this happening while bjp is in power but congress not even in hell they survive on minority appeasement.

If you want to create an national identity then get rid of minority label. India is moving in the right direction in this regard. There are many problems and hurdles though.

This is very pragmatic approach. Not sure if India is ready for it yet.
@Jaanbaz - A National identity is essential. I will be known as an Indian only in Ottawa or Hong Kong, not as a Hindu or a Jain etc. :)

As for dividing people, I won't blame Congress alone for that. We divide ourselves. Congress just cultivated it. It's time we buck up.

NEW DELHI: Minority affairs minister Najma Heptullah on Tuesday said Muslims were not minorities by any stretch of the imagination and instead Parsis with their dwindling population qualified for the tag.

On her first day in office, Heptullah appeared determined to reorient the ministry by playing down its role in welfare of Muslims and dismissing the policies espoused by the UPA government.

"Muslims are not minorities. Parsis are. We have to see how we can help them so that their numbers don't diminish," she told reporters when asked how her government proposed to take Muslim welfare forward.

With more questions about the community being lobbed at her, Heptullah snapped back, "This is not the ministry for Muslim affairs, this is the ministry for minority affairs."

The remarks from the experienced politician, who is the grand-niece of freedom fighter Abul Kalam Azad and has played the major part of her political innings in Congress, appeared in line with BJP's point of view. There was speculation in the run-up to government formation that Prime Minister Narendra Modi may disband the minority affairs ministry or merge it with a bigger ministry like social justice, a reason why the appointment of a minister came as a surprise.

However, a change of approach may be in store. Given that most of the ministry's policies are specifically targeted at Muslims, Heptullah steered clear of giving her views on the policies or what she planned to do. "Till I get guidance from the PM, I will not draw a roadmap for my ministry," she said.

Muslims are not minorities, Parsis are: Najma Heptullah - The Times of India

I agree with her. @Tshering22

The population of Parsis is disappearing in India, it would be like losing a millennium old heritage. It should be saved.

:laugh:
The population of Parsis is disappearing in India, it would be like losing a millennium old heritage. It should be saved.

Tume Indian punjabis ki fiqar nai hai. Now bhaiyas are pretending to be sikhs in east Punjab.

Going by the birth rates of Muslims and the illegal immigration they dont deserve a minority tag.

The new indian government is dominated by UP bhayya ministers I have read somewhere. All the linguistic minorities need protection from bhayyas in india.

Tumhe west Punjab ki fiqar honi jahan se Punjabi culture ghayab ho raha hai kyonki sabko mughalzada banne ka shauk hai, halke doggy. :omghaha::omghaha:

Pakjabis have been owned by the bhaiya culture, they consider it their pride to speak in our language and discard their own.
The new indian government is dominated by UP bhayya ministers I have read somewhere. All the linguistic minorities need protection from bhayyas in india.

Even Pakistan needs to be saved from the bhaiya culture and languauge which they have copied and exhibit with pride.

would you like to share the source where you read about it?

Back
Top Bottom