What's new

Muslim couple, a Hindu daughter and a wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

EjazR

Reaction score
Muslim couple, a Hindu daughter and a wedding

Allahabad
It's a Hindu-Muslim story with perhaps few parallels. On Friday, a Muslim couple solemnised the marriage of their daughter Babita, born to Hindu parents, as per Hindu rituals in the Naini area here.

A purohit solemnised the marriage, the couple made seven rounds of the holy fire to solemnise their union, and to uphold the sanctity of the marriage, Ghulam Mohammad and Rashida Begum requested Dhyanchandra Kuswaha and his wife to perform the Kanya Daan. Being Muslims, they could not do it themselves.

It was another turn in a story that began 14 years ago, when Ghulam Mohammad and Rashida Begum adopted Babita. They had only two sons and desire for a daughter prompted them to adopt her. Her father Chander Yadav had died in 1994, and soon after, her mother Drupathi Devi also fell ill. Before Drupathi died, Ghulam and his wife adopted Babita and assured her of treating her as their own child.

By all accounts, they kept their promise and Babita was as pampered by them as their sons.

A few months ago, Rashida asked her husband to search for a suitable groom for Babita. However, they were in a dilemma — should Babita be married to a Muslim, or a Hindu? Finally, they decided that they would respect Babita’s faith and look for a Hindu boy for her.

The search for a groom wasn’t easy though. Wherever Ghulam, a contractor by profession, went, he had to face uneasy questions. Few Hindus appreciated the idea of associating their family with a girl was brought up in a Muslim family. Finally, Ganga Prasad Yadav, a resident of Barauli village, agreed to marry his son Babloo Yadav with Babita.

Ghulam’s family then carefully ensured that all proper Hindu rituals were observed at the wedding. There was an engagement, and marriage cards were distributed carrying a picture of Lord Ganesha. Ghulam was mentioned as Babita’s father in the card.

Over 2,000 people were invited to the wedding, which was solemnised in Ghulam’s own house, not a rented hall or a hotel. Everyone in his family participated enthusiastically.

When Ghulam and his wife performed the vidai, even his neighbours turned couldn’t stop their tears. Ghulam saw Babita off with all the necessary household items, like any Hindu father does for his daughter.

However, Ghulam doesn’t think that what he and his wife did was anything extraordinary. “It was the marriage of my daughter,” he said, “and I did what every father has been doing since ages.”

I know the story of a Pakistani family that took in a Hindu boy left stranded when his family migrated to India in 1947. They made sure he grew up knowing his religion and his culture, surrounding his room with idols and pictures of his deities and teaching them his hymns so he could learn to do his puujaa.

When he was old enough to notice it, he asked his adopted father why they prayed differently to each other. It was only then that the father explained to him that he was an adopted son and the father wanted to make sure living with a Muslim family didn't dilute his own faith, since their faith taught 'there is no compulsion in religion'.

An everyday story in the life of an everyday Pakistani, none the less inspiring than the one you posted. But our media don't make a big deal of it.

I don’t know ... what to say!

As a Muslim , it is the responsibility to preach and spread the teaching of Islam , which the didn’t, what type of love they showed to their beloved daughter , knowing what will happen to her on the Judgment day ....?

Rest of the story is very nice and emotional.....

Last edited:
I don’t know ... what to say!

As a Muslim , it is the responsibility to preach and spread the teaching of Islam , which the didn’t, what type of love they showed to their beloved daughter , knowing what will happen to her on the Judgment day ....?

Rest of the story is very nice and emotional.....
In my opinion the right thing to do was to let the child reach to the adult hood. Than invite her to embrace Islam. If she accepts, fine, otherwise let her practice her religion.

In my opinion the right thing to do was to let the child reach to the adult hood. Than invite her to embrace Islam. If she accepts, fine, otherwise let her practice her religion.
Fluff pieces in newspapers seldom tell the full story. Again this story has nothing to do with Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom