What's new

Musharraf's political career launch speech (apology, promises and clean slate)

ECP registers Musharraf’s political party​

ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan on Tuesday registered former military ruler General (r) Pervez Musharraf’s All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) after a delay of over one year owing to legal challenges.

Musharraf had launched the APML in October last year in United Kingdom. He had recently announced that his party will participate in 2013 general elections.

ECP registers Musharraf

You really think after "staging" the LAL masjid incident , and Plunging Pakistan into a war that was never ours (but now is ) , Musharaf remains an innocent?

Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan has decided to register the political party of former military dictator Pervez Musharraf in response to an application, commission officials said on Tuesday.

After being registered, the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) would be able to participate in the next general elections, due in 2013.

Musharraf, who stepped down in August 2008 after the general elections won by his political foes, had gone into self-imposed exile, living mostly in London. He launched the party from the UK in October last year.

He has named March 12, 2012, as his date of return to Pakistan, where he is an accused in a court case into the assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, who was killed in December 2007 while he was in power.

Article continues below

Musharraf's party reportedly promises peace, employment and justice.

gulfnews : Musharraf's party now official after registration

WASHINGTON, DC: Twenty minutes before the event featuring former Pakistani president General (retd) Pervez Musharraf was due to begin, organizers at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars began redirecting people to move to an overflowing room – such was the rush to get a seat.

Fresh from his appearance at the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, General (retd) Musharraf walked in flanked by his aides and a few security officials and was introduced by WWCIS head and former Congresswoman Jane Harman.

Musharraf began his talk with a history lesson, maintaining the military narrative and its focus on India when he relayed the series of events that began from 1947. Musharraf said that militant groups spearheaded the fight against the Soviets in Afghanistan because the elite of Afghanistan had abandoned the country. Musharraf outlined the rise of militant groups in the late 80s and 90s of groups like Lashkare-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammad to fight against India in Kashmir.

Musharraf took the opportunity to explain his actions in 2005 “I was trying to wean the Pashtuns away from the Taliban, we were trying to organize local jirgas.” Musharraf said that he was accused of playing a double game, whereas he was trying to wean away those who did not want to support the Taliban.

Musharraf said that he regretted missing the fleeting opportunity of achieving an agreement on issues with Kashmir. He said that they were close to an agreement on Sir Creek, Siachen and Kashmir, but that fleeting moment passed.

Musharraf also talked at length of the US-Pak relationship and the trust deficit. He said that it pained him to see the state of affairs. He said that Pakistan has to explain its reasons for not conducting an operation in North Waziristan, whereas the US must be mindful of the sensitivities. Musharraf also mentioned the drone strikes, citing the indiscriminate civilian casualties as a point of concern.

When pressed on the issue of perhaps having done things differently, he said “whatever I did, I need to repeat it” if back in power. The only regret he has, he said, was on cutting a deal with BB and implementing the NRO, “Benazir violated the agreement with me to not return before the elections.”

When quizzed about whether he knew about Osama Bin Laden’s presence in Abbotabad since he was also COAS at the time that OBL allegedly moved there, Musharraf said that he was not aware, “whether anyone believes it or not”. He also said that he did not find the high walls of the Abbotabad compound to be unusual, and said that it was negligence, and not incompetence that led to no one knowing about OBL’s presence in the area.

Musharraf also criticized the “leadership vacuum”. Both the major political parties, he said, were not delivering. Citing his approval ratings of over 80 percent in early 2007 that suffered due to certain elements, adding that they were the events surrounding the judiciary – “I will not explain why I did what I did” – and the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. He said that he wouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel as he knew what worked, referring to his time when he assumed power in Pakistan in 1999 when the country was at the brink of default, but “performed admirably” after he took over.

Speaking to this correspondent after the event, the former President said that he would be returning to Pakistan on 23rd March 2012. Dubbing the case against him in the Benazir Bhutto murder case as politically motivated, Musharraf said he was willing to face it, including more political cases that he expected to come up once he returned. He said that there was a leadership vacuum in Pakistan and that his party would gain momentum once he returned.

link

i personally think (its impossible i know but) if musharraf and imran khan become allies and take over the country then pakistan and its people might see the good and peaceful days..

musharraf is good with keeping up the foriegn relation, and imran khan is good with the people of Pakistan...
if they somehow manage to put their personal issues aside and start working together then we might see a change, soon..

What could be more the major biggest blunder by musharraf in his own words on media that military rule is never successful to run a nation.
He made comedy of himself and other military personnel working at that time.

Not what I am saying that is what mr. musharraf said. As of today's latest mr. musharraf disowns all his decisions after nou-geyarah

EX-PRESIDENT PERVEZ MUSHARRAF TO RETURN TO COUNTRY ON 23-MAR-2012

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps, though nothing ventured, nothing.....

...gained.

My assessment of the good general's suddenly resurging patriotism is no more than a cynical ploy to regain power using tried-and-true ways to mislead the people of Pakistan in the same vein as the other political elite have done repeatedly.

Well, of course he wants to be in power - he thinks he can make it right - just like Nawaz, Zardari and the playboy of the Western world - -

Well, of course he wants to be in power - he thinks he can make it right - just like Nawaz, Zardari and the playboy of the Western world - -

Oh he knows nothing will change, just like the other national heroes you have mentioned do too. He just needs to sell the idea that he will make it right. There is a distinction between the two.

Back
Top Bottom