What's new

Musharraf vows never to visit India again

Reaction score
Country
India
Musharraf vows never to visit India again

NEW DELHI — Pakistan's former military ruler Pervez Musharraf has vowed never to visit to India again after being denied a visa by the Indian government, a report said Friday.

"I have no words to explain my disappointment," Musharraf was quoted as telling The Indian Express newspaper by telephone from his home in Dubai.

"Your government has dashed my hopes. I think it shows a lack of confidence on the part of India to face me," he said, according to the paper's website.

The former president, who was born in New Delhi before the partition of the sub-continent, had been invited to India by private organisations to attend seminars and meet the media.

"I don't plan to come to India ever again," Musharraf said, citing the visa refusal as an affront to his "honour and dignity."

Indian government officials have confirmed the visa request was denied, but declined to elaborate on the reasons.

India press reports earlier this week said the decision stemmed from India's belief that Musharraf was responsible for a large-scale militant incursion in Kashmir in 1999 that brought India and Pakistan to the brink of war.

Musharraf was army chief of staff at the time of what became known as the Kargil conflict. Several months later he led a bloodless coup that finally saw him proclaimed Pakistan's president in 2001.

He stepped down in 2008 and is now attempting a political comeback.

AFP: Musharraf vows never to visit India again

Can't disagree with his reasons. He can say whatever he wants to say about whatever subjects he was planning to discuss in India. In today's connected world with web videos, video conferences and social networks the location of your address is kind of immaterial anyway.

^^^The guy is playing cheap shots for publicity, we should not take him serious. He should come back and live in his country with his own people, if he has to win their hearts.

India press reports earlier this week said the decision stemmed from India's belief that Musharraf was responsible for a large-scale militant incursion in Kashmir in 1999 that brought India and Pakistan to the brink of war.

I am hoping that wasn't the reason for denial of visa. We did invite him even after Kargil for the Agra summit. And I think it was IAF chief AY Tipnis that refused to salute him at the tarmac when he arrived.

Actually in hindsight, it does seem a little childish on our part to deny him a visa. Whats the worse that he could have done? We might have used his visit to our advantage somehow.

hardly worthy of a new thread.

the reasons are bizarre, why Indian state has woken up to the fact that he played a part in Kargil. He has made few visits already
I think the Indian media and organizations can contact him via video conferencing

He should have realized that before pulling his publicity stunt..

democracy, freedom and tolerance is when you let someone visit in regardless of their views.

Bigotry is when a religion motivated party of thugs influences everything from national political decisions to visa cases.

Last edited:
I am hoping that wasn't the reason for denial of visa. We did invite him even after Kargil for the Agra summit.

Apparently it was, from media reports at least. Unfortunately no one will buy this as the real reason because he has been to India both as President and as a private citizen after Kargil. Most people will believe that the GoI feared that Musharraf/Pakistan would get more out of this visit than the GoI would, to put it mildly. That perception alone weakens the would-be hosts' position.

india should have invited him,he already questioned and answered lot in his last visit.
last time he already said that more kargil will happen so kargil here is not issue.may be to show some favor to somebody in pakistan.thats assumption only

hardly worthy of a new thread.

the reasons are bizarre, why Indian state has woken up to the fact that he played a part in Kargil. He has made few visits already
I think the Indian media and organizations can contact him via video conferencing

All guess work/media speculations so far. Obviously we don't know the real reasons. Till date I haven't seen any official statement on this matter.

Apparently it was, from media reports at least. Unfortunately no one will buy this as the real reason because he has been to India both as President and as a private citizen after Kargil. Most people will believe that the GoI feared that Musharraf/Pakistan would get more out of this visit than the GoI would, to put it mildly. That perception alone weakens the would-be hosts' position.

As I said, I hope not, since the govt. hasn't come out with an official statement.

Musharraf applied for a visa along with a band of his party men.It seems like India didn't want to host an opposition leader and his party men in its territory and create a diplomatic row over it. He could very well do it sitting in neutral UK.

Good job Mushy don't you ever lolz hell with them.

Arre yaar ye to ruuth gya. :lol:
Koi ni mana lenge..:angel:

Frankly, I see its more to do with political relations with Pakistan.
Remember how he literally made Zardari a mad man and Nawaz being thrown out of country.
I personally think he wasn't very bad, if he had been a real dictator then these both guys wouldn't have been alive today.

common that is bad.. the poor guy needed to come to india to give some dhamaka speeches.. try to get publicity. and try to win next pakistani election.. loll.. good riddance.

Back
Top Bottom