What's new

"Musharraf exemplifies a quality Indian politicians should emulate" - Karan Thapar

A super article - I would encourage more Pakistanis and Indians to read this article.

Pervez Musharraf, Shah e Mardan, Firman dar, Pakistani:pakistan:

Musharaf is a Army man who became Dictator after a coup he dislodged democratic government there is nothing much to learn from him. India and rest of Democratic world have so many leaders to emulate from.

I would not expect even Pakistani politicians to emulate him.

Last edited:
I follow Karan Thapar's interviews & articles fairly closely. What he has written is all well but glosses over the pertinent fact that Parvez comes from an socio political environment which is still in its formative stage. Also , he has the backing of the main (Political , if you can call it) party in Pak - the PA whose word is law.

He is not a Politician but a Dictator who is trying to change his feathers hence can say what he feels.He does not have to answer his electorate for the remarks / views he expresses.

Parvez exemplifies a typical military mind who shoots from the hip & has Strong opinions on most issues.

he has the backing of the main (Political , if you can call it) party in Pak - the PA whose word is law.

That is neither true nor relevant here. Are you looking for excuses to express your uneducated views about Pakistan and its Army? What does Musharraf facing down his critics in India have to do with the PA's political influence?

he has the backing of the main (Political , if you can call it) party in Pak - the PA whose word is law.

That is neither true nor relevant here. Are you looking for excuses to express your uneducated views about Pakistan and its Army? What does Musharraf facing down his critics in India have to do with the PA's political influence?

Apologies if my views seem ' uneducated' to you. I am like everyone else entitled to my views.. and I do not need an excuse to air them.

Too bad he's not in charge of our country anymore.
muse is correct, every Pakistani should read this, or everyone for that matter should read this article.
Very interesting, very well put, and this is also sour at the same time knowing that this man doesn't play any significant role in our politics right now, hopefully, that will change, as I heard he has been giving advice to the likes of Zardari and others.

I am like everyone else entitled to my views..

You are indeed entitled to your uneducated views, but atleast try to air them in the relevant thread if you can’t help it. It will spare us all a lot of derailing.

We have to accept that all political leaders are human and thus not without faults. Quaid was father of the nation and I respect him too much to compare him with any other Pakistani dead or alive. I would rate rest of the Pakistan’s leaders as under taking into account their intellect, ability and services to the nation.

Liaqat Ali Khan

Hussein Shaheed Suharwardy

Zulfikhar Ali Bhutto

Pervez Musharraf

Mohammad Ayub Khan

IMO all other were pigmies in comparison and not worth the mention.

I found Musharraf lot more forthright and able to accept criticism than Bhutto.
However I rate him behind ZAB because he went back on his promise to take off uniform and tried to get himself elected by the legislature whose mandate was about to expire.

Incidentally, only leader that I have met personally was ZA Bhutto after he had left Ayub Khan Cabinet and had just formed PPP. It was a chance meeting on a PIA Fokker flight out of Mohenjodaro airport in 1968. Even though down in the dumps, he was still a very confident person. A quality that I admire immensely.

This is however my personal view and don’t accept others to agree with me.

already posted under the heading "A General Point"
pls merge!

This Karan Thapar must have met no real leaders in his he thinks musharraf is an example people should follow.:crazy:

It doesnt matter as long as they are voted by the ppl of this country and once in every five yr they must come and ask for approval of ppl of this cointry in the elections.
World does not call us the largest democracy on the planet for nothing.

Rest of ur comments are just rhetorics.

I agree with you. The quality of your politicians represents the quality of your uneducated and poor masses indeed. What approval of the people? Your politicians come into office by ghunda gardi, corruption etc. Only a minor percentage may be an exception to this rule. Your kind of democracy, where thieves, murderers and thugs are elected to the highest offices, is indeed the kind of Indian democracy the world refers to. God save teh rest of the world from such a perverted democracy! Amen!

"Sadly, many of our politicians refuse to face their critics. Indeed, some can even run away from their friends! The problem is they’re not prepared to pit their arguments against challenges. So rarely, if ever, do we see them under pressure, fighting to prove their point, fending off counter-arguments and winning respect for standing their ground"

Karan Thaper clearly forgot that indian policians are answerable to only parliament & members of parliament, not to their critics outside.

Leaving aside usual noise interruption from other members ,the dabate we have on important bills and motions in parliament are very tough & lively.

Now about indian politicians going to pakistan & facing hostile crowd there with Z+ security with 200 men provided by host nation like to Musharraf in india,why not??

If a pakistani media house ever invite with a chartered plane, indian politicians like Lk Advani,modi or a Rahul Gandhi etc ,they would love to show case their states man like qualities in front of very hostile elite pakistani crowd.

Beg to differ on this one. Indian Polititions are equally answerable to the public and the media. Media is not termed as a pole of democracy for nothing. They have an important role to play. I have huge regards for Karan Thapar as a television interviewer he's one of the best. Musharraf also I admire. He mentions that you may not like wat he says but atleast he dares to speak it out in front of hostile audience. I have seen many Indian polititions shying awayfrom a public debate.

Very sad to see that Indian democracy has reached to such lows that their politicians are now given advice to learn from a military dictator. And not only a military dictator but a military dictator who's policies have brought his country to be considered as a failed state.

Very sad to see that Indian democracy has reached to such lows that their politicians are now given advice to learn from a military dictator. And not only a military dictator but a military dictator who's policies have brought his country to be considered as a failed state.

Please dont try to manipulate things out of context. It is clearly a personality trait being mentioned not the person or the policy.

The quality of our politicians is our problem.If you whose biased views seem to suggest that politicians in India can assume office by using force then you are greatly mistaken.The people who come into the office by 'gunda gardi' as you say are in reality the minor percentage and face severe penalties if ever exposed.Our democracy is OUR democracy,i don't see how it affects you

The last thing we need is war-monger coming to our country and telling us what our politicians should be like

Your last line is interesting, especially when you got people like Sonia Gandhi, Pranab Mukherjee, Manmohan Singh and the likes of others in your politics shouting very threatening words against Pakistan.
And you're calling Musharraf a war-monger?

Very interesting. :coffee:

Musharaf is a Army man who became Dictator after a coup he dislodged democratic government there is nothing much to learn from him

If you do not look in to the particulars, the above statement may appear to be accurate, however; it not the truth or rather it leaves out too much to be the truth.

Musharraf, an army man? Yes

Became a dictator after the coup? Unless dictator means means different things to you and to me, then yes. Pakistani society was never, in it's entire history, more free, than it was under Musharraf.

What dictator has ever tolerated the kinds of criticism Musharraf did? What kind of Dictator has ushered in a mushrooming of media?

Does any Indian or Idian politician have anything to learn from Musharraf, that is for honest, well meaning and kind spirited indians to decide - and of course Musharraf, history will judge, but for those Pakistanis who imagine mobs in the streets is what democracy is about, who imagine that democracy is about political dynasties, who think of political parties as inheritance and legacy to be distributed with in a single family and their cronies, and who cannot stomach the fact that a Fauji arose to speak honestly and plainly to the people of Pakistan and who raised Pakistan from a country near default to a country who economy doubled under his leadership and Pakistanis once again saw hope in the idea of Pakistan -- The ordinary people of Pakistan will not forever be your play things, will not for long be just so many numbers you can move to a voting poll by promising them a meal and patronge. And Pakistan will be free of the likes of these so called politicians who are but crooks and murderers and in veins treachery flows as if blood. For these the name, Musharraf, is a disinfectant to them - for us, the ordinary people fo Pakistan, we will remember, admire and love a honest, plain speaking, patriot who reminded us that Pakistan comes first, and I for one will always remember the day I felt free and a complet Pakistani, when, in a midnight speech, Musharrraf told Pakistanis the truth, "we have hit rock bottom" - for me optimism for reborn in the speech and I hope more Pakistanis will see through the anachronism that are Pakistani policial parties and politicians.

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom