What's new

Mumbai Metro trial run successful

Just came back from mumbai.Now i feel kolkata is far better in terms of cleanliness and quality of roads, thanks to didi , than mumbai.Even local trains were packed during office hours.I had to leave 3 trains once due to them being overcrowed and the result was i reached office 1 hr late.But to my surprize office ppl knw abt it and they seemed to knw that i was not bullshting.lol.btw i am talking abt andheri,dadar,matunga,vt areas n not navi mumbai which i didnt visit.I am happy that mumbai will get metro soon coz then life of the ppl there will be easy.I feel ppl are more hardworking and dedicated in mumbai than kolkata.

congrats to India but i have 1 question for you how does chief misters or politicians cash into booming middle class ? just for you information These kinds of projects are always loss leaders and never ever generate revenue.

not really keeping profits aside govt dont hace to spend much on these things.its the private player who does it.govt just provides the necessary entities like land,tax slabs etc and award them contracts for a particular period.and govt regulates fares.this is the latest trend in india called PPP so its a win-win for all sides.govt dont need to spend and they get revenue.people get infra structure.private orgs get profits.india is planning to invest over a trillion dollars in this 5 year plan .and most of it is going to be through this process..

are you nuts ? U don't have any idea about this project.
Metro route will connect eastern part with western part of city. Metro will reduce traveling time to 30 minutes from 1 hour 45 minutes.

No nuts will be the guy answering question that were never asked

congrats to India but i have 1 question for you how does chief misters or politicians cash into booming middle class ? just for you information These kinds of projects are always loss leaders and never ever generate revenue.

Not really. Revenue depends on the Fare and number of commuters. Delhi Metro is doing well and is also paying back the loans.
Thats why they are planning new stages. A city with more than 20 lakh population needs to have a Metro.

not really keeping profits aside govt dont hace to spend much on these things.its the private player who does it.govt just provides the necessary entities like land,tax slabs etc and award them contracts for a particular period.and govt regulates fares.this is the latest trend in India called PPP so its a win-win for all sides.govt dont need to spend and they get revenue.people get infra structure.private orgs get profits.India is planning to invest over a trillion dollars in this 5 year plan .and most of it is going to be through this process..

Once again congratulations to India only country in the world which will make money out of this kind of project. But i didn't question if u can make money or not My question wasn't about this project is profitable or loss leader my question was '' how does chief misters or politicians cash into booming middle class ?''.As claimed by one member here but not answered by any Indian member.

Not really. Revenue depends on the Fare and number of commuters. Delhi Metro is doing well and is also paying back the loans.
Thats why they are planning new stages. A city with more than 20 lakh population needs to have a Metro.

As i said congratulation to India only country in the world where Mass transit will provide profit in rest of the world mass transit is either revenue neutral or loss leader.But in India case its obviously different so i believe what you say.

Once again congratulations to India only country in the world which will make money out of this kind of project. But i didn't question if u can make money or not My question wasn't about this project is profitable or loss leader my question was '' how does chief misters or politicians cash into booming middle class ?''.As claimed by one member here but not answered by any Indian member.

As i said congratulation to India only country in the world where Mass transit will provide profit in rest of the world mass transit is either revenue neutral or loss leader.But in India case its obviously different so i believe what you say.

What I meant was that such projects create huge amount of revenue generation and job creation. So this is good way to create some cash by state.

Well i am pretty sure many other metros are profit making.

Delhi Metro making Rs 2-cr operational profit per day: Sreedharan - Business Line

HYDERABAD, SEPT. 15:
The metro man, E. Sreedharan, today said Delhi Metro Rail Corporation is making an operational profit of Rs 2 crore per day.

“This was a great thing for a Government-owned corporation whose sole focus is to provide service to people. This profit is mainly due to completion of the project ahead of time and efficient management of the metro rail,” he explained.

Speaking at the Centre for Organisation Development, Sridharan said DMRC is now associated with more than 10 metro projects under various stages of conceptualisation.

Narrating the journey of the execution of the Delhi Metro project, he said it is now possible to bring down the overall time for execution of metro projects. “I am sure it is possible to do so as project developers gain Rs 2 crore for every day saved and lose Rs 2 crore for every day delayed,” he said.

He said when all four phases of the Delhi Metro project get executed it would have a total length of 420 km and become the fourth largest metro project in the world. When two phases were executed, it became the 13{+ }{+t}{+h} largest and with the third phase it would be the seventh largest metro project in the world.

Timely execution and the saving of two years and nine months in executing the first phase was a major achievement for the project.

Sreedharan, now an advisor with DMRC, said they were now associated with studies for more than 10 metro projects including those planned in Pune, Lucknow, Kanpur and Ahmedabad.

Referring to the PPP model for metros, he said, “It is yet to be tested as globally most metros are not profitable. The entire model is based on Government subsidies as it is meant for people’s transport. Hyderabad and Mumbai are based on the PPP mode and we need to see how they come up.”

The CoD today conferred the V. Krishnamurthy award for excellence on Sreedharan.

What I meant was that such projects create huge amount of revenue generation and job creation. So this is good way to create some cash by state.

Well i am pretty sure many other metros are profit making.

They create jobs yes but to best of my knowledge they dont create profits as they arent meant to do that but again i didn't study the Indian design so i will stay out of it.

Thing is, that most of the mass transits around the world are quite old and not planned properly. They have been built over centuries and routes/lines have been added as an after thought.

The new mass transits like say Delhi Metro, have been well planned, planned in advance, proper research and survey of ridership and growth in population has been taken into account and the lines have been planned accordingly. On top of that, Delhi Metro has been constructed well ahead of its schedule(no delays) thanks to good project management skills. Technology used are modern and efficient, rolling stocks are new and reliable, making the project profitable.

Delhi Metro making Rs 2-cr operational profit per day: Sreedharan - Business Line

BTW there are few other examples in the world.

“Internationally, of the 135 Metros worldwide, only four make an operating profit apart from Delhi, these are Hong Kong, Taipei, Singapore and Tokyo.

well if thats sarcasm then ppp is a successfull model world wide also advocated by U.N and world bank not just in india.
Public-private partnerships for infrastructure development in Asia and the Pacific, United Nations ESCAP
Public-Private Partnerships | World Bank Institute (WBI)
Public Private Partnerships in Infrastructure | World Bank | PPPIRC

coming to ur question i think i already answered it.i dont think either extremely rich or uttely poor uses this kind of facilities its the middle class which uses it.and as i said govts get both votes and money from them.the fares would be already mentioned in the contract such that people are not burdened and depending upon the demand and fares and the investments the private party gets back the money they invested with in a particular period and the money which comes after that is all profit which is shared by both the private player and the govt in proportion recorded in the contract.

No that is not really correct. This Metro or Sky-Bus will run on East-West Corridoors while the Local Trains run on North-South Corridors. The Sky-Bus will relieve pressure on road traffic as well as BEST services.

The Sky Bus was shelved - it was a great idea.

@Cheetah786 if you meant how middle class agrees to pay higher fare, usually its due to comfort and lack of alterative. For example auto/taxi in delhi will be more expensive and bus is slow and painful comparatively.

Last edited by a moderator:
They create jobs yes but to best of my knowledge they dont create profits as they arent meant to do that but again i didn't study the Indian design so i will stay out of it.

well private players wudnt be interested if the revenue is not generated..as i said all the recent development is taking place through this process only in india some examples would be hyderabad international airport and the latest world class airports of delhi and mumbai.

does kolkata metro generate profit. I will be surprised if it does. :)

Back
Top Bottom