What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting article in the context of rise of terrorism in Pakistan;

Understanding Pakistan’s response to Mumbai

More than half-a-century ago, two of Pakistan’s most eminent judges drew this bleak lesson from a wave of violence that had led the country into the first of its many experiences of martial law: “As long as we rely upon the hammer when a file is needed and press Islam into service to solve situations it was never intended to solve,” wrote Justice Muhammad Munir and Justice Mohammad Rustam Kayani, “frustration and disappointment must dog our steps.”

Pakistan’s establishment didn’t listen then — and does not seem to be listening now. Ever since the Lashkar-e-Taiba’s attack on Mumbai, commentators have been struggling to explain just why Pakistan appears so reluctant to act decisively against the perpetrators. Some have focussed on the Lashkar’s patronage by the Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate; others on the Pakistani military’s hopes of weakening President Asif Ali Zardari. All these explanations have merit but miss a critical element: the slow transformation of the Pakistani state itself into an instrument of the jihadist agenda.

Link: The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Understanding Pakistan’s response to Mumbai

this is the biggest worry of US and india. good article.:enjoy:

Ah yes, this has been said for ages now, "Pakistani nukes will fall into the hand of radicals" "Pakistan will become a failed state" "Pakistan will be taken over by jihadist mullahs" etc.

Let me make one thing clear, not in your sorry Indian dreams will Pakistan ever become what you and your nation are longing for so that you can finally, after decades and decades of hatred, point a big finger at Pakistan and "prove" to the world that India had it right from the very moment these two nations were formed.

Your American way of looking at the situation resembles my point about Indians not having much self-esteem and easily being manipulated into believing anything anti-Pakistan that is being thrown against them.

tomorrow our gov is supposed to give a reply to the so called dossier which india gave us. lets see

so far we havent heard anything from GoP. man they are maintainin some secrecy. i guess gilani scared everyone

pakistan was created in the name of islam. therefore these kind of religious movements will keep on happenin. also y does the world freak out when someone talks about jihad. that fatwa didnt say anything wrong. if india attacks pakistan watelse are we supposed to do?? watch geo tv??
also wat if i say calling militants patriotic might have made indians think once again.

u talk about islam and the world says u r extremist. but if u drink wine have sex everyday and enjoy night clubs, u being a muslim are considered as moderate. WTF

pakistan was created in the name of islam. therefore these kind of religious movements will keep on happenin. also y does the world freak out when someone talks about jihad. that fatwa didnt say anything wrong. if india attacks pakistan watelse are we supposed to do?? watch geo tv??
also wat if i say calling militants patriotic might have made indians think once again.

u talk about islam and the world says u r extremist. but if u drink wine have sex everyday and enjoy night clubs, u being a muslim are considered as moderate. WTF

Why blame Islam for all your problems or make it an excuse. Islam will be known by the acts of people who practice it so it is the duty and the responsibility of all who practice Islam that Islam is viewed as any other Holy religion.

The vices suggested by you are part of the western culture and let be happy doing it we should not judge them at the same time should practice our culture.

I don’t see any contradiction here.

Malaysia is also a modern Muslim state like Pakistan if not more why no one has any problems with Malaysia. Please don’t hijack Islam for your personal reasons and bring a bad name to Muslims all over the world

I could punch a lot of holes in this guy Zaid Hamid's theory or conjecture about what happened. He seems to be filling in the gaps between concrete facts with his own theories which support his argument.
But there is always the question of what if, there are loose ends to the Mumbai massacre.

Anyways, glad to see that BJP was beaten in Delhi and Rajasthan., and voted back in MP because of their development track record, not because of communal politics.

I could punch a lot of holes in this guy Zaid Hamid's theory or conjecture about what happened. He seems to be filling in the gaps between concrete facts with his own theories which support his argument.....

Could you punch a couple for me please?

India boosts arms modernisation after Mumbai ReutersPublished: January 29, 2009

By Bappa Majumdar

India is speeding a nearly $1 billion (704 million pounds) domestic weapons development programme to modernise its armed forces, the defence research department said on Thursday, following renewed tensions with Pakistan over the attacks in Mumbai.

The plans include inducting 124 main battle tanks for the Indian army by December, the first of a batch of locally-made combat aircraft for the navy also by the end of the year, and unmaned aerial vehicles to boost border surveillance.

"There is a certain push now to complete projects on time and deliver the goods for low intensity battles or to counter bigger security threats in the region," Suranjan Pal, a spokesman of the government-run Defence Research and Development Organisation, said.

Tensions between India and Pakistan mounted after the attacks in Mumbai in November, which New Delhi said were carried out by Pakistani nationals and must have had support from Pakistani state agencies.

Today in Asia & PacificThailand to allow UN access to 66 refugeesCivilians evacuated from Sri Lanka war zoneAfghan officials seek delay in presidential electionsSince the Mumbai attacks, local media has highlighted the many antiquated weapons system that India has, from artillery to tanks, and poor surveillance capabilities.

"India's military capability had been shrinking as modernisation efforts were moving very slowly, but now there is more interest being shown," C. Uday Bhaskar, a strategic affairs expert, said.

The modernisation plans include developing the Agni-5 missile, capable of carrying a nuclear warhead and hitting targets 5,000 km (3,100 miles) away, and torpedoes and planes for the navy.

India is also one of the world's biggest arms importers, but government officials and experts said the priority was to boost indigenous capacity and reduce reliance on foreign suppliers.

"Foreign countries are generally not interested in sharing critical technology with us, so we are pushing more for indigenous development," Pal said.

The DRDO has often been criticised in the past by experts for delays on key projects, including the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) and an Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AWACS).

The naval version of the LCA will enter service in December this year while the air force will get 20 planes next year. The aircraft is a supersonic, all-weather fighter which has been under development for more than two decades.

(Editing by Alistair Scrutton and Sanjeev Miglani)

Mumbai attack plans 'made outside Pakistan'

Thu, 29 Jan 2009 19:04:26 GMT
Gunmen stormed multiple locations, including the Taj Mahal Hotel, in Mumbai in November.

A recent Islamabad probe suggests that elements and agencies inside Pakistan were not involved in planning the Mumbai terror attacks.

"An initial probe conducted by a three-member team set up by the Interior Ministry has concluded that the 26/11 attacks were planned outside Pakistan," Dawn News quoted sources as saying on Thursday.

The Pakistani team also stated in its report that "no leads" had been found in Pakistan but did not elaborate on whether the probe had been able to determine where the attacks had been planned.

The British intelligence service MI5, however, had affirmed earlier that it had uncovered links between the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks and UK nationals.

"We have looked at individuals' communications, where they have been and so on and found they have got connections with most countries including the UK...," said MI5 Director General Jonathan Evans in early January.

Pakistan's Interior Ministry is expected to review the report on the initial probe on Thursday in a high-level meeting. The ministry will submit a final report to the government by Saturday

On January 5, India provided Pakistan with data from satellite phones used by the attackers as well as what it describes as the "confession of a surviving gunman".

The issue that Pakistan was probing into the issue was made public by Pakistani Interior Ministry Chief Rehman Malik on January 17 when findings from India began to undergo serious examination.

Washington, New Delhi, and London hold Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a Pakistan-based militant group responsible for the Mumbai attacks - which killed at least 179 people, including the nine militants. Pakistan has rejected the involvement of its government in the attacks, saying that "non-state actors" were involved in the incident.

source Press TV

Indians Wont be happy at all after this "They want to Hear What they Want Hear, They will Not Digest this at all".

Even after British claims as

The British intelligence service MI5, however, had affirmed earlier that it had uncovered links between the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks and UK nationals.

"We have looked at individuals' communications, where they have been and so on and found they have got connections with most countries including the UK...," said MI5 Director General Jonathan Evans in early January.

So how can You blame Pakistani Govt, Those UK Nationals Can be of Pakistani Origin but all the Pakistanis are not Responsible for the acts of few.

Please give me a link to that quote... and I will give you a link to Gordon Brown's quote in a joint press conference with Zardari where he has said that "95% of UK's terror plots have been traced back to Pakistan"...

Please give me a link to that quote... and I will give you a link to Gordon Brown's quote in a joint press conference with Zardari where he has said that "95% of UK's terror plots have been traced back to Pakistan"...
So?

That has nothing to do with non-Pakistanis being planners of the Mumbai attack.

there you go! back to square one. I guess, pranab has to get talking again and hillary clinton should do some 'condi rice', then when the arm is twisted enough, pak might accept the truth.:tsk:

This thread is about Pakistan rejecting India's dossier and that is what we ought to talk about...

my response was to falcon's comments about UK's Intelligence Chief and possible UK responses to the initial media reports that the attackers were British...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom