What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
News coming in some US official got killed
US issued travel advisory

Mumbai attacks continuation of 1993 blasts

NEW DELHI,: Opposition leader L.K. Advani on Thursday asked people to be calm and maintain communal harmony in the wake of the horrific terror
attacks in Mumbai.

Advani also told reporters that he planned to visit Mumbai shortly, perhaps later Thursday or Friday, along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"It is a challenge in which the whole country must remain clam and resolute and try to overcome it unitedly," the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader said, holding a clinched fist.

Advani's comments came a day after terrorists sneaked into Mumbai overnight and struck at seven places in India's most audacious terror attack, leaving at least 101 people dead and 250 injured. On Thursday, some terrorists too lay dead while others had taken hold of hostages.

Advani said security experts had told him that an operation of this kind "will need a preparation of at least two months".

"This appears to be a continuation of the (19)93 terror attacks," he said, referring to Mumbai's first terror onslaught in January of that year that followed the razing of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya in December 1992.

"I had earlier thought of going (to Mumbai) in the morning but I was told that the state government wishes that such visits will only be helpful once the operations are over. In the meanwhile, I have spoken to PM... The PM said I go along with him and I agreed.

"So far as tackling terrorism is concerned, both the central and state governments have a lot to answer for. But today is not the occasion for me to dwell on that."

Advani paid his condolences to the police officers killed fighting terrorists in Mumbai.

finally politicians are talking sense

"So far as tackling terrorism is concerned, both the central and state governments have a lot to answer for. But today is not the occasion for me to dwell on that."

I was surprised at the pace the events were taking place last nite,never saw anything like that

Mostly cowardly acts like planting bomb or suicide attacks are used by these people but this was almost a invasion!

CNN-IBN reporting that 20 to 25 'naval commandos' engaged the terrorists at the Trident early in the morning and this enabled around 300 guests to escape. One commando died in this operation.

Mumbai situation being dealt as ‘war-time emergency’: Sriprakash Jaiswal

NEW DELHI: The government on Thursday equated the Mumbai terror attacks to a "war" thrust upon the nation
and vowed to give a "befitting" reply to
the perpetrators.

"We are considering the terrorists attack in Mumbai as a war and dealing the situation like war-time emergency," union minister of state for home Sriprakash Jaiswal told reporters in the capital.

Jaiswal said all necessary action was being taken to get to the bottom of the incident and arrest the perpetrators of the heinous crime.

"We want to assure people that a befitting reply will be given to the terrorists," he said.

"The Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) himself has been monitoring the situation since last night and is constantly in touch with the Chief Minister (Vilasrao Deshmukh)," he said.

Jaiswal said apart from the 200 National Security Guard commandos, those from Navy and Army were also deployed in Mumbai.

"Firing at a few places is still continuing and we hope that everything will be over very soon," he said.

Asked about who were behind the terror attacks, the Minister said it was too early to say anything at present.

Having failed to make any fresh attacks in US / UK, India is found to be an easy place to carry out such attacks which give immense publicity value to the perpetrators.

This will, I hope shake the Govts ( both state & central ) out of their complacency & formulate a national policy on security which would if necessary over ride regional / religious barriers and issues puting the nation before everything else.

Having failed to make any fresh attacks in US / UK, India is found to be an easy place to carry out such attacks which give immense publicity value to the perpetrators.

This will, I hope shake the Govts ( both state & central ) out of their complacency & formulate a national policy on security which would if necessary over ride regional / religious barriers and issues puting the nation before everything else.

Quote from newsmedia -

"They are successful and we have failed," said the police officer with the agency. He said these attacks show that "the terrorists want to show that India is an unsafe place to do business in. The way they have focused on foreigners, they want to make Mumbai unattractive for foreign nationals."

One of the notifiable thing is that some terrorist have been captured alive hence information is coming out fast soon it will be clear whether Neo's hint is true or not.

Although its not the right time to ask but one has to think that isn't it the failure of the Indian security/intelligence agencies.

A substantial number of people armed with weapons enter the financial hub and carry out this act where and what were the intelligence agencies doing.

Also is it going to be the repetition of what happened after parliament attack? Are we going to see another standoff between India and Pakistan?

I mean terrorist attacks happened both in India-Pakistan but i never saw this type of thing and also keeping in mind that its Mumbai not Srinagar

[

Last edited by a moderator:
Although its not the right time to ask but one has to think that isn't it the failure of the Indian security/intelligence agencies.

A substantial number of people armed with weapons enter the financial hub and carry out this act where and what were the intelligence agencies doing.

Also is it going to be the repetition of what happened after parliament attack? Are we going to see another standoff between India and Pakistan?

Of course it is a failure , a big one @ that - AK-47 , grenades , possible bazokas - how did all this come in.

Plus , I don't think a military standoff makes much sense , we have to eliminate the local support , all these youngsters did not come from Pak I think.

If we must destroy cross border targets , it can be done without using the military.

Mumbai has become a favourite target for terrorists.

This is the 15th terror attack on the financial capital of India since the year 1993 and this makes the city the highest victim of terror strikes.

An IB dossier states that Mumbai is the most vulnerable to terror strikes while Delhi [Images] and Hyderabad are second and third respectively. It was not as though that there was no warning that Mumbai would be struck again.

After accomplishing operation Bangalore, Ahmedabad [Images] and Delhi, there was a specific warning by the Intelligence Bureau that Mumbai would be next on the hit list.

Commissioner of Police, Mumbai city, Hassan Gafoor had said during a press conference that the interrogation conducted on the Indian Mujahideen [Images] cadres in September too had revealed that there was a plan to attack Mumbai next.

Although it is too early to comment as to who could have carried out the blasts, the IB says that it was surely an act of terror considering the fact that AK-47 rifles were used and the attack was serial in nature. The Supreme Court of India in the S K Shukla vs State of Uttar Pradesh [Images] case in the year 2003 had classified both the Ak-47 and AK-56 as weapons of mass destruction and also observed that using it ( apart from security agencies) would be an act of terror.

Although Mumbai was waiting to be attacked, the manner in which the strikes were carried out has completely foxed both the police and intelligence bureau officials. The IB says that the guns were used to carry out a terror strike intentionally as it was expected that such an operation would catch security agencies off guard.

The IB says that terror outfits have been constantly improvising the manner in which they undertake attacks in order to fox investigating and security agencies.

The IB however adds that it is too early to pin point as to who could have carried out the attack. Mumbai has been a favourite destination for terrorists since it is the financial capital of the country and any attack on this place will automatically shake the economy of the country.

Mumbai was warned about terror

According to CNNIBN the boys have punjabi accent, and the boats captured with explosives, have Karachi based papers......dont know wats goin on.....

Do our Pakistani counterparts think that we were behind marriot blasts????

This is just a thought, plz dont fume...............

Terrorist lunatics can think like that...........

^ dont know but in the end people like u and me end up becoming victims of these secret wars(if its true) :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom