What's new

Multiple threads on the same subject

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
We have a wonderful facility of being able to check if the subject intended to be posted already exists. Yet , one comes across threads with identical or near identical titles and content on the same subject. This happens on an average two - three times in a day.

This is annoying and must be consuming band width. Having responded to one another pops up.

Since of late , the mods have become more in number ( or so it seems) and proactive too it must be catching their eye.

Would it relevant to reward creating duplicate threads with a mild infraction - maybe not as severe as one for trolling etc.

This could help in sensitizing posters on the need to check before they create new threads .

We have a wonderful facility of being able to check if the subject intended to be posted already exists. Yet , one comes across threads with identical or near identical titles and content on the same subject. This happens on an average two - three times in a day.

This is annoying and must be consuming band width. Having responded to one another pops up.

Since of late , the mods have become more in number ( or so it seems) and proactive too it must be catching their eye.

Would it relevant to reward creating duplicate threads with a mild infraction - maybe not as severe as one for trolling etc.

This could help in sensitizing posters on the need to check before they create new threads .

It doesn't always bother me, because the threads will often have a different "atmosphere", even tho they are about the same subject.

If you ask me, I merge threads as soon as I see them. But sometimes there are threads that do not catch my eyes and after I see them I either close one of them or merge it together. For such matters you could PM me and I will do it as soon as I read the PM.

It depends actually, sometimes the members post from different news sources and the title is slightly different to each other so the similar threads option may not work there however if I see a topic has widely been discussed/closed and later the new thread is created just for trolling purposes I have deleted + infraction given to that member.

It will vary from person/thread to person/thread as the Senior members will most likely not going to create similar threads intentionally and if they have created it, I treat it as mistake but if the Juniors will do the same mistake it will vary depending upon the nature of thread and the intentions behind it. For most of the times I will just treat it as mistake

If you ask me, I merge threads as soon as I see them. But sometimes there are threads that do not catch my eyes and after I see them I either close one of them or merge it together. For such matters you could PM me and I will do it as soon as I read the PM.

It depends actually, sometimes the members post from different news sources and the title is slightly different to each other so the similar threads option may not work there however if I see a topic has widely been discussed/closed and later the new thread is created just for trolling purposes I have deleted + infraction given to that member.

It will vary from person/thread to person/thread as the Senior members will most likely not going to create similar threads intentionally and if they have created it, I treat it as mistake but if the Juniors will do the same mistake it will vary depending upon the nature of thread and the intentions behind it. For most of the times I will just treat it as mistake

Zakii you guys have enough trouble as it is dealing with all the trolls on this forum adding another burden to your jobs will do no one any good. Just leave it at least people are conversing right that is the whole point of a forum.

it remains a major issue as people blindly post their topics without using/checking if the topic has been started by others. indians and newbees are the main problem.

We are really trying to control this. We introduced the similar threads feature and are merging threads wherever possible.

But ultimately we need the collaborative efforts of our member base to bring an end to this.

Whenever there is HOT news... I try to search on that by going to http://www.defence.pk/forums/search.php?search_type=1

Note full address not just ./search.php

This is a large forum, if there is a breaking news item - chances are 10 other people beat you to it in posting it here.

some new members become "serial thread openers"
Some opening as much as 12 threads a day without taking part in the discussion
This issue must betakled too...may be a limit on how many threads one can open in a day?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom