Muhammad Yunus awarded Karl Kübel Prize

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Muhammad Yunus awarded Karl Kübel Prize​

FE ONLINE DESK | Published: October 03, 2022 18:29:49

Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus with the Karl Kübel Prize awarded by Karl Kübel Foundation for Child and Family on September 30 this year.
Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus with the Karl Kübel Prize awarded by Karl Kübel Foundation for Child and Family on September 30 this year.

German-based Karl Kübel Foundation for Child has honoured Nobel laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus with Karl Kübel Prize.
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the foundation last September 30, the foundation gave the award in recognition of Muhammad Yunus’s extraordinary and multifaceted commitment to families all over the world, Yunus Centre said in a press release on Monday.

The foundation celebrated its 50th anniversary this year in Bensheim of Germany with the jubilee motto, ‘Family counts’.

Dr Kerstin Humberg, deputy chairwoman of the board of the Karl Kübel Foundation, said that Yunus had also made it possible for the children and families of his female customers to lead a better life.

They praised the economist from Bangladesh as a great source of hope in times of global crises spanning from the CODIV-19 pandemic and global warming to new wars. "He is truly a game changer and hope creator".

"Each of us can positively influence the lives of others around us. Now and in the future, we are all setters of the course," said Humberg.

Pointing out parallels between philanthropist Karl Kübel and Muhammad Yunus, Humberg said, “Both pursued social goals through entrepreneurial means as early as the 1980s, deliberately focusing on 'helping people to help themselves.”

Yunus and Kübel were pioneers in entrepreneurial development cooperation, she said.

According to the press release, the Karl Kübel Foundation for Children and Families, founded in 1972 by entrepreneur Karl Kübel, works according to the principle of ‘helping people to help themselves and supports disadvantaged people in Germany and abroad.

German-based Karl Kübel Foundation for Child has honoured Nobel laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus with Karl Kübel Prize.
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the foundation last September 30, the foundation gave the award in recognition of Muhammad Yunus’s extraordinary and multifaceted commitment to families all over the world, Yunus Centre said in a press release on Monday.

The foundation celebrated its 50th anniversary this year in Bensheim of Germany with the jubilee motto, ‘Family counts’.

Dr Kerstin Humberg, deputy chairwoman of the board of the Karl Kübel Foundation, said that Yunus had also made it possible for the children and families of his female customers to lead a better life.

They praised the economist from Bangladesh as a great source of hope in times of global crises spanning from the CODIV-19 pandemic and global warming to new wars. "He is truly a game changer and hope creator".

"Each of us can positively influence the lives of others around us. Now and in the future, we are all setters of the course," said Humberg.

Pointing out parallels between philanthropist Karl Kübel and Muhammad Yunus, Humberg said, “Both pursued social goals through entrepreneurial means as early as the 1980s, deliberately focusing on 'helping people to help themselves.”

Yunus and Kübel were pioneers in entrepreneurial development cooperation, she said.

According to the press release, the Karl Kübel Foundation for Children and Families, founded in 1972 by entrepreneur Karl Kübel, works according to the principle of ‘helping people to help themselves and supports disadvantaged people in Germany and abroad.
This was in 1991 when one of my American co-worker mentioned to me about professor Yunus and his revolutionary microfinancing model. He asked me if I heard about him. I told him that I didn't. He went on to explain to me about his microfinancing model that has uplifted poor and underrepresented women in BD and its success rate of 98% repayment. I was impressed by this success and wished that this should be replicated in India. Since then this model has taken root in India serving about 130 million households and still growing at double digits. Prof. Yunus deserves praise for a model that serves impoverished society.

He went on to explain to me about his microfinancing model that has uplifted poor and underrepresented women in BD and its success rate of 98% repayment.
I have learned about his procedure of extending loans to rural housewives who would like to raise ducks, poultry, or fish in their household.

His Grameen Bank would ask for two things, at least. One is the family must have its own land on which the project would be built. Another main point is at least three other women must be involved in the daily operation.

These three are the women who would seek finances for their own projects in the future. There may be other requirements that I do not know.

Obviously, all of them would put in the labor to make the project successful. Once the venture is implemented successfully, the involved other women may also get loans for their projects in the future.

This is one way that the Grameen Bank activities spread throughout the country and then many parts of the world including India.

Whatever better living standard we find today in rural BD is because of the rural development examples set by Dr. Yunus. Many other private organizations followed his examples.

However, a day came when a jealous Hasina Bibi ousted Dr. Yunus from BD and started claiming all these good deeds were because of her BAL party activities.

In reality, Hasina and all her political and bureaucratic colleagues are thieves.

Last edited:
Felicitations.

However, just made think.

Why is it that our very best of the best are chosen to bestowed awards upon by these tom dick and harry, ten a penny organizations in the west. This guy Karl Kubel doesn't even seem like a that big a name. I'd never heard of him so I read on this guy on their official website

The highlight of the entire thing seems to be that he donated the proceeds from the sale of his company, some 36 million EUR to his charity organization.

Unless I missed something, he's no where near the stature of Dr Yunus himself, on whom his org is bestowing the award.

I am not one of those people who say that developing countries such as Pakistan should boycott hte common wealth and whatnot bcoz of the history but this feels very condescending, tbh.

@Nergal , bro, what are your thoughts?

I have learned about his procedure of extending loans to rural housewives who would like to raise ducks, poultry, or fish in their household.

His Grameen Bank would ask for two things, at least. One is the family must have its own land on which the project would be built. Another main point is at least three other women must be involved in the daily operation.

These three are the women who would seek finances for their own projects in the future. There may be other requirements that I do not know.

Obviously, all of them would put in the labor to make the project successful. Once the venture is implemented successfully, the involved other women may also get loans for their projects in the future.

This is one way that the Grameen Bank activities spread throughout the country and then many parts of the world including India.

Whatever better living standard we find today in rural BD is because of the rural development examples set by Dr. Yunus. Many other private organizations followed his examples.

However, a day came when a jealous Hasina Bibi ousted Dr. Yunus from BD and started claiming all these good deeds were because of her BAL party activities.

In reality, Hasina and all her political and bureaucratic colleagues are thieves.
Hasina babi should keep Prof. Yunus as her finance minister. He will be a major asset to her party.

Hasina babi should keep Prof. Yunus as her finance minister. He will be a major asset to her party.
It is not that Dr. Yunus wants to join that Devil of a woman named Hasina Bibi. She will hang him first for coming back to BD and then she will kill you for suggesting something irritable to her.

Hasina Bibi is an autocrat you will see her downfall in the next election. She forced Dr. Yunus to flee the country. She is jealous that Yunus received a Nobel Prize and no one suggested her to be the best candidate for such an award.

Last edited:
Felicitations.

However, just made think.

Why is it that our very best of the best are chosen to bestowed awards upon by these tom dick and harry, ten a penny organizations in the west. This guy Karl Kubel doesn't even seem like a that big a name. I'd never heard of him so I read on this guy on their official website

The highlight of the entire thing seems to be that he donated the proceeds from the sale of his company, some 36 million EUR to his charity organization.

Unless I missed something, he's no where near the stature of Dr Yunus himself, on whom his org is bestowing the award.

I am not one of those people who say that developing countries such as Pakistan should boycott hte common wealth and whatnot bcoz of the history but this feels very condescending, tbh.

@Nergal , bro, what are your thoughts?
Agree brother @villageidiot . I also never knew the name of this award!

About commonwealth I have nothing to say.

You see Imran Khan was ousted and China didn't move a muscle?

It's clear than China doesn't interfere in other countries internal matter.

So if now countries like Pakistan or Bangladesh boycott commonwealth, im afraid that they will face political turmoil!

So better go slow and take decision wisely. So yes I agree with you.

About Dr Younus, I personally can say that I don't like this man. He is highly overrated guy with high profile.

You are kidding right? Do you see BNP is on the street fighting BAL?

But be sure , BNP is now just foot soldiers to oust BAL!

But the real game isn't between BAL and BNP anymore. Its between Hasina and Younus!

There is a high possibility that soon ( before next election) Bangladesh will have a national unity govt, but in this case without military interfere it looks impossible.

So if a technocratic govt will be ruling Bangladesh for a decade, indeed head of govt will be youn ( 90% chance) with American backup)!

And you are asking Hasina to make Younus her lapdog , as if Younus is dying to be the lapdog of Hasina. He wants top position!

Last edited:
About Dr Younus, I personally can say that I don't like this man. He is highly overrated guy with high profile.

I read about his micro loans initiative a long time ago. Haven't read anything on him since. So, can't say I disagree. Also, didn't know his politics. Didn't read this thread, just saw the title and came to share my above thoughts. But, overrated or not, he does have a significant stature and is well known outside BD, I believe and here is a 'semi-rich white guy with a heart of gold' foundation acknowledging him like giving a pat of the back.

It'd be one thing if a body like the UN with equal representation from all the countries in the world gave an award to someone.

I don't know the solution to this except maybe a change in our collective psyche to stop putting everything white people on a pedestal. Sure, we can learn a lot from them but this award stuff, I regret to say, feel straight BS.

Thank you for sharing your view, brother. Glad to see I am not alone on this.

About commonwealth I have nothing to say.
I have no issues with the commonwealth. It's not the commonwealth that is holding us down. It's us.

I just mentioned it to state that I am not one of those people who just hate on everything about the west, don't acknowledge their own faults, blame their misery entirely on external factors like colonization etc.

You see Imran Khan was ousted and China didn't move a muscle?
Idk if its part of their doctrine not to explicitly interfere in the electoral politics of other nations or if they just didn't have any particular fondness of either Imran Khan or the others to intervene. I like to think it's the latter as any aspiring superpower would certainly be interested in the affairs of other nations, let alone one of it's closest allies and a potential headache (should the US win Pakistan over somehow).

But it is indeed strange how so far, china's track record is clean, from the little I know, at least.
I am not sure at all but didn't they have some problems in africa? maybe those were regarding racism of the chinese towards the locals and not of a political nature.

Last edited:

I misread it as Karl Marx prize. :lol:
The dude is anything but communist.

But it is indeed strange how so far, china's track record is clean, from the little I know, at least.
I am not sure at all but didn't they have some problems in africa? maybe those were regarding racism of the chinese towards the locals and not of a political nature.
To know about Chinese real intention, you have to know about its development partnership with some African countries. Many African countries have many metal mines and China needs access to these mines.

China provides loans and its companies build a few infrastructures. A time comes when that country has to start repaying the debts. Chinese companies, instead, buy the mining rights, extract metals, do the preliminary processing there and ship them to China for further processing.

I would not say China is doing something horrendous like the Westerners did in Africa. The Chinese interest centers on the commercial exploitation of African countries.

I am not really blaming China. Only stating the facts.

Why is it that our very best of the best are chosen to bestowed awards upon by these tom dick and harry, ten a penny organizations in the west.
Please ask your Mia Newaz Sharif to initiate a Newaz Award for those who earn money too beyond their means and decorate their daughters with gold from head to toe when getting married.

Mash'Allah, we are happy for him.

Back
Top Bottom