Move to export cement bags to India fails

idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Jasim Uddin Haroon

The country's first move to export cement bags to India has ultimately failed following a resistance from Khasi tribe in Meghalaya in India, leading to huge financial losses by a local company, sources said.

Shovon Woven Bag Manufacturing Company, the country's leading cement bag maker, signed an agreement with Kolkata-based Calcom Cement in India to supply 36 million pieces of bags worth US$ 7.0 million a year.

The local company had shipped 300,000 pieces of cement bags to India a couple of months back. But the goods were sent back by the Indian authority saying tribal leaders are opposing Bangladesh's goods.

Narayanganj-based Shovon Bag Manufacturing Company was later forced to sell the bags as scrap.

When contacted, Mr. Ziaul Hoque Shovon, a director of the local company told the FE: "We're not interested to share this with journalists."

He said: "We're not exporting bags to India," he said.

Officials said the company incurred financial losses worth nearly 60,000 dollars in the first consignment following the cancellation of the shipment.

However, managing director of Calcom Cement visited Dhaka recently to discus the issue.

"Both the sides have failed to reach any solution on the deal," said a senior official of the local company.

In the meantime, Shovon Bag is now planning to lodge a complaint to a body monitoring Dhaka-Delhi trades.

Earlier, Calcom approved the samples of 9,000 pieces.

Analysts said this export could diversify Bangladesh's export basket and subsequently reduce the trade gap that exists between the two nations, which is highly tilted in favour of India.

Bangladesh imports goods from India worth over $ 2.0 billion and exports around $250 million a year.

WTH the tribal leaders got to do with cement contracts ? It should be the problems of Calcom. This BD guy must be a rookie in business world. He should not sign any contract like that.

WTH the tribal leaders got to do with cement contracts ? It should be the problems of Calcom. This BD guy must be a rookie in business world. He should not sign any contract like that.

They are talking about cement bags not cement:lol:

The tribals are opposing because they have their own Cement Bag Manufacturing facilities and expect Indian companies to buy from them, most probably at a higher rate than their Bangladeshi counterpart.

They are talking about cement bags not cement:lol:

Do I have to chew down everything ? Think like a grown up for a moment if you have the faculty for that.

I have done bunch of contracts in my line of work. That includes IT services, retail merchandise/services, consulting. Parties sometimes try to back out from deals using some really weird excuses. A good business man would anticipate those slimy tactics, be versed in International contracts or have competent counsel for same. This BD guy got what he deserved, for playing games he shouldn't be playing.

I think BD company had done the contract by the book. Problem is when indian company violate contract it come down to the issue how you enforce it. India use its power and bureaucracy to muzzle you out. By the time one get money back its too late and too much loss.

I am sure Shovon Woven Bag no realied that doing business in india is a losing proposition like many other before them. Thats whay even we could export many time more out export remains in only few hundered million dollars.

I don't think trade with India will lead to anywhere. Case in point, India refused to give duty free access to potential BD exportable goods. BD should just cancel the upcoming transit deal and visit by PM Singh. Best to only deal with water and border issue with India. It would be more worthwhile to purse trade deal with other Asian nations.

Do I have to chew down everything ? Think like a grown up for a moment if you have the faculty for that.

I have done bunch of contracts in my line of work. That includes IT services, retail merchandise/services, consulting. Parties sometimes try to back out from deals using some really weird excuses. A good business man would anticipate those slimy tactics, be versed in International contracts or have competent counsel for same. This BD guy got what he deserved, for playing games he shouldn't be playing.

You may have done millions of contracts in your life.

But there is something called 'breach of contract'.

What has the Khasis to do with jute?

Such silly excuse as tribal are objecting is totally bogus and it is silly to even print such news which are pathetic bleats.

For all one knows, the cement bags were substandard and so rejected. Never heard of such a silly excuse as tribal objections.

In fact, the Bengal Jute industry, which is the centre of the Jute industry and production is as good as not being there since they have been under lock out and trade unions problems for a long time and so the only option is Bangladesh finished jute products to include cement bags.

With strict environmental rules, plastic bags for cement, food-grains are on the way out.

In fact, if this is true, then the BD media should go hammer and tongs over the issue

You may have done millions of contracts in your life.

But there is something called 'breach of contract'.

What has the Khasis to do with jute?

Such silly excuse as tribal are objecting is totally bogus and it is silly to even print such news which are pathetic bleats.

For all one knows, the cement bags were substandard and so rejected. Never heard of such a silly excuse as tribal objections.

In fact, the Bengal Jute industry, which is the centre of the Jute industry and production is as good as not being there since they have been under lock out and trade unions problems for a long time and so the only option is Bangladesh finished jute products to include cement bags.

With strict environmental rules, plastic bags for cement, food-grains are on the way out.

In fact, if this is true, then the BD media should go hammer and tongs over the issue

You gotta read the article before tapping away on mere wild speculation.

Indians are capable of these ridiculous acts. Its not very uncommon for a shipment to get stuck at the border while some regulatory agency looks at samples for weeks or months.

Thats why my response was he didn't go in knowing the issues about exporting to India. He got what he deserved.

You gotta read the article before tapping away on mere wild speculation.

Indians are capable of these ridiculous acts. Its not very uncommon for a shipment to get stuck at the border while some regulatory agency looks at samples for weeks or months.

Thats why my response was he didn't go in knowing the issues about exporting to India. He got what he deserved.

Oh wow!

So clever of you to obfuscate and deflect.

Of course Indians are capable of ridiculous acts and there is no International court for arbitration?

Surprising India has many a time gone there! But then, it must have been ridiculous as you say. India should have lay down and enjoyed it as you suggest Bangladesh should do!

And you call yourself a businessman- the engine to Bangladesh's economic surge!

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom