What's new

Mother sells baby boy to buy mobile phone, jeans and tops

Mother sold 17 month-old son for Rs. 5000 to buy jeans, mobile phone
PTI
Jajpur (Odisha), October 03, 2012

First Published: 21:42 IST(3/10/2012)
Last Updated: 22:01 IST(3/10/2012)
Investigation into the sale of a baby boy by his mother in Odisha's Jajpur district has revealed curious details - the money was used to buy a mobile phone and a pair of jeans among other things. "Rakhi Patra of Mundamala village who sold her 17 month-old son for Rs. 5000 purchased a new mobile phone, a pair of jeans, few new tops (to go with the jeans) and memory cards for her mobile with the money," Jajpur superintendent of police Deepak Kumar said today.The investigations were conducted when a division bench of Orissa high court took suo moto cognisance of media reports on the sale and directed the police to recover the baby and hand him over to his mother.

Rejecting the mother's claim that she sold the child to meet the legal expenses of her jailed husband, Kumar said her new acquisitions were evidence of the fact that she did not sell her baby boy due to poverty.

“She has confessed before us that she had purchased all these items from the money out of the sale of her baby for Rs. 5000,” he said adding the goods were seized from her.

The woman refused to take back her son after police handed her the boy after recovering him from Cuttack on Tuesday. “We had handed over the baby but to our utter dismay, the mother refused to take him to her custody in the presence of the general public. Later, we handed him over to Child Welfare Committee.”

Rakhi, who is 20 years old and a daily wage earner had in association with a rickshaw puller sold her son to Babula Behera on September 17 in Cuttack.

Police rescued the baby boy from Nuapatana village yesterday following the order of High Court division bench comprising Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and Justice B K Mishra on Friday.

Mother sold 17 month-old son for Rs 5000 to buy jeans, mobile phone - Hindustan Times

Man that happens in our Country too but only out of Poverty n they hope that their children can be adopted by a wealth family to secure their future, but i have never heard or ever imagined something like this can ever happen in the World.:hitwall:

Mom, Jessica Marie Beers, Tried To Sell Son, 5, For $2,000 (VIDEO)

Doesn't happen anywhere? :azn:

I only hope that the children who do get sold without anyone noticing, get better parents.

Hey Dumbo:cheesy:, read my post carefully then come back with yr precious comments.

:azn:

Man that happens in our Country too but only out of Poverty n they hope that their children can be adopted by a wealth family to secure their future, but i have never heard or ever imagined something like this can ever happen in the World.

You said that you can't imagine something like this happening anywhere in the world, except out of sheer poverty. One woman did it for drugs. Is that poverty for you?

EzioAltaïr;3466628 said:
:azn:

You said that you can't imagine something like this happening anywhere in the world, except out of sheer poverty. One woman did it for drugs. Is that poverty for you?

Sorry my Bad, but there is a very big difference b/w drugs whom yr addicted n 4 just a pair of Pants n mobile phone.These r just luxury items or at best r facilities, well i think the real reason could be something else as she refused to accept her child too.
I think as she is just 20yrs old n a married women whose husband is in jail LOL i suspect that she will be in illicit affairs with someone n he would have said to her that they can run away n start a 'new life' but this child could be a problem so get rid off it and she did n now refuse to take back.She is a lonely women husband is in jail n she is doing ayashi jeans n new mobile phone:lol:. well this is heard to digest to me. I think she has made up her mind to start a 'new life' jeans n mobile r just excuses.

Sorry my Bad, but there is a very big difference b/w drugs whom yr addicted n 4 just a pair of Pants n mobile phone.These r just luxury items or at best r facilities, well i think the real reason could be something else as she refused to accept her child too.
I think as she is just 20yrs old n a married women whose husband is in jail LOL i suspect that she will be in illicit affairs with someone n he would have said to her that they can run away n start a 'new life' but this child could be a problem so get rid off it and she did n now refuse to take back.She is a lonely women husband is in jail n she is doing ayashi jeans n new mobile phone:lol:. well this is heard to digest to me. I think she has made up her mind to start a 'new life' jeans n mobile r just excuses.

I think drugs are worse than pants, yeah, but anyway, both of them are fools, suffice to say that.

EzioAltaïr;3466711 said:
Even though I already cited a source showing quite clearly that selfish mothers are not endemic to India? :rofl:

Don't wrory its just a typical troll, I can post news from US about the same thing.

This type of materialistic moral bankruptcy is a hallmark of Western civilization.

If you loose your own societal/cultural values and blindly westernize, this sort of stuff always happens. In many western countries they have "baby crib" entrances on hospitals, places where you can leave your child without being seen, no questions asked. They do this to prevent unwanted babies being tossed into dumpsters and then crying and starving to a slow, painful death.

I think it took more than 5000rs to raise that kid to 17 months. Horrible return on investment. Not to mention the pain and suffering expense.

This type of materialistic moral bankruptcy is a hallmark of Western civilization.

If you loose your own societal/cultural values and blindly westernize, this sort of stuff always happens. In many western countries they have "baby crib" entrances on hospitals, places where you can leave your child without being seen, no questions asked. They do this to prevent unwanted babies being tossed into dumpsters and then crying and starving to a slow, painful death.

Why blame everything over west.Materialism is present in all Human civilization.It is some that defines us.

Whats wrong with it? I consider it a humane practice that should be practiced by all countries.

She is a poor women and the child is most probably with a rickshaw puller she wont marry. It is not uncommon to sell your baby in that part of India (by common I mean I hear every year one such case, govt starts enquiry and usually its due to dire poverty), the shocking bit is she used the money for phone and jeans.

Nothing to do with westernization.

indian members told me that they have higher per capita income. Still that happened?

Back
Top Bottom