What's new

Morocco chooses the UH-64 Apache

it's easy. I guess you are Canadian and Nato Member? Turkey is NATO's buffer..

View attachment 483356
A leaking buffer!
BTW.. Turkey is a good friend of Iran.. Iraq is no threat, and Syria is in a civil war.. there are no threats there to NATO per se..Turkey was holding that flank against the USSR.. the whole idea is now obsolete my friend.. just ask Erdogan why he is dealing with Russia in a friendly manner.. So you can not really justify any need for the F-35.. since neither Iraq, Iran nor Syria have any potent air forces..Thus, I think that Morocco can justify the Apache procurement need better than Turkey's F-35.. at least it has a potent Algeria as a potential adversary, a Militia armed like regular armies in the south and Spain with some rifts sometimes..:lol:

A leaking buffer!
BTW.. Turkey is a good friend of Iran.. Iraq is no threat, and Syria is in a civil war.. there are no threats there to NATO per se..Turkey was holding that flank against the USSR.. the whole idea is now obsolete my friend.. just ask Erdogan why he is dealing with Russia in a friendly manner.. So you can not really justify any need for the F-35.. since neither Iraq, Iran nor Syria have any potent air forces..Thus, I think that Morocco can justify the Apache procurement need better than Turkey's F-35.. at least it has a potent Algeria as a potential adversary, a Militia armed like regular armies in the south and Spain with some rifts sometimes..:lol:

Germany, France etc is Iran's enemy? And Canada is Iran's enemy? Do you know where is Iran on map?

Last edited:
Germany, France etc is Iran's enemy?
That red line you showed on the map includes Iran.. doesn't it?
But let's stay on topic.. it is about the possible procurement of Apache Helicopters by Morocco.. and I am happy for the latter because it will multiply its forces..

That red line you showed on the map includes Iran.. doesn't it?
But let's stay on topic.. it is about the possible procurement of Apache Helicopters by Morocco.. and I am happy for the latter because it will multiply its forces..

I think you can ask people who know the region here whether apache is suitable for Morocco. Ah-1Z is suitable but not Apache. Btw This is Morocco's problem not our :)

Edit: Sorry i did not realize you were moroccan, i was think that you are canadian :D

Last edited:
I think you can ask people who know the region here whether apache is suitable for Morocco. Ah-1Z is suitable but not Apache. Btw This is Morocco's problem not our :)
It is not their problem.. they just know better what is the best for them..For the Viper, everyone was thinking it was a done deal.. than came the recent visit to Turkey concerning the T-129.. and now they seem to have settled their choice on the Apache..

Last edited:
It needs it for deterrence mostly, but for effectiveness if need be.. Morocco needs it.. it does not have any attack helicopters..just a few very old platforms..it needs a backbone for its attack helicopters strength.. it can then build a helicopter force around that..Maybe with Vipers and/or T-129 later.. but the need of the hour seems to be the Apache..

What kind effectiveness are you talking about? Twenty chopper if you have 3 going fights you have to split you squadron in 3 groups. Wher is the effectiveness? And that said fakng expensive, one chopper is coming for 72 million dollar each. 10 years later you need to upgrade and for what price againg millions for 20 apache? Clumsy heavy attack chopper, not really suitable for mountaines.

I think this choice was coming through strong US influence, it makes Morocco depend on US supplies for Spare Parts. In Case of War with Spain it's also the Question about Kill Switches.

What kind effectiveness are you talking about? Twenty chopper if you have 3 going fights you have to split you squadron in 3 groups. Wher is the effectiveness? And that said fakng expensive, one chopper is coming for 72 million dollar each. 10 years later you need to upgrade and for what price againg millions for 20 apache? Clumsy heavy attack chopper, not really suitable for mountaines.
It is just a first step to build a backbone of Attack helicopters.. either Vipers or T-129 will follow in due time.. I think it is a wise decision to start with the back bone and build around it..

Edit: Sorry i did not realize you were moroccan, i was think that you are canadian :D
Who told you I was Moroccan..I just studied the History of the Arab world.. and Morocco was a big part of it ..since it has around 5000 years of History..Did you study any history of the Arab world before commenting..

Last edited:
It is just a first step to build a backbone of Attack helicopters.. either Vipers or T-129 will follow in due time.. I think it is a wise decision to start with the back bone and build around it..

Who told you I was Moroccan..I just studied the History of the Arab world.. and Morocco was a big part of it ..since it has around 5000 years of History..Did you study any history of the Arab world before commenting..
are you canadian or moroccan?

I think this choice was coming through strong US influence, it makes Morocco depend on US supplies for Spare Parts. In Case of War with Spain it's also the Question about Kill Switches.
They will be no war btw MAR and SPA... MAR doesn't have the power neither the "excuse" to doso. Same for Spain...
Even if by X miracle MAR decide to annex every Spanish territories in MAR... they will still be no war...Sanctions yes...But war no...

As for Spare parts... Well it's the same condition for Every Defence equipment that is not made by "yourself"... You will have to stay "Friend" with the Buyer... Whatever it's the US/EU/RU/TR/CN... it's all the same...

You can't say..."They should have bought from us..." Nothing guarantee that you will not turn against them in the future etc...
Welcome to RealPolitik...

Therefore in the meantime... Countries should buy the best available equipement and dev their own little by little. So MAR decision was good... Apache is the best on this earth...

Last edited:
Great video and I'm glad to find out there are many aviation company's subsidiaries in Morocco. That means there is transfer of technology and know-how involved. Maybe I missed it in the video, but does Morocco have a national aviation company that utilizes or can utilize this know-how and ToT and what is it's name?

Great video and I'm glad to find out there are many aviation company's subsidiaries in Morocco. That means there is transfer of technology and know-how involved. Maybe I missed it in the video, but does Morocco have a national aviation company that utilizes or can utilize this know-how and ToT and what is it's name?
I only get news on Morocco from some Arabic websites.. For sure they have a Moroccan airline, they use Boing mostly..About a national aviation company I am not sure, but they most likely have one, otherwise, why manufacture spare parts , other parts and even engines with ToT..they might be for export, but no country do just that..So in all possibilities they are building their own aviation capacity....

I only get news on Morocco from some Arabic websites.. For sure they have a Moroccan airline, they use Boing mostly..About a national aviation company I am not sure, but they most likely have one, otherwise, why manufacture spare parts , other parts and even engines with ToT..they might be for export, but no country do just that..So in all possibilities they are building their own aviation capacity....
That's not what I wanted to hear (read) to be honest. I tried to search for this info but I didn't get any results in English. I don't understand French or Arabic so I am limited by that.

That's not what I wanted to hear (read) to be honest. I tried to search for this info but I didn't get any results in English. I don't understand French or Arabic so I am limited by that.

You did not search enough..There are hundreds of articles.. but this study might answer your question..

13B.
THE EMERGENCE OF THE AERONAUTICS CLUSTER

Royal Air Maroc/Pioneering maintenance activities:

The aeronautics industrial history started in Morocco with the creation of the national carrier Royal Air Maroc (RAM) in 1957. The state-owned company developed soon after its first aircraft maintenance activities at the Casablanca International Airport. This would soon become the embryo of a future aeronautics industry. By 1998, the US Federal Aviation Administration delivers RAM’s maintenance operations the Federal Aviation Regulations part 145 certification that governs repair station activities, and the personnel working in repair stations. The US strict federal accreditation brings immediate acknowledgment of the Moroccan airline expertise and positions Casablanca as an established worldwide hub for aircraft maintenance activities.

Maroc Aviation:

The other historical protagonist is Maroc Aviation, a subsidiary of the former Aerospatiale (a French aerospace manufacturer now part of Thales), present in Morocco since 1951 to
carry out maintenance of the instrumentation devices for the Moroccan Royal Air Force Hercules
C130 (Lockheed military transport aircraft) and Super Puma helicopters. Since 1993, the company is owned by EADS Sogerma and as such operates as an equipment supplier to Airbus. It also acts a subcontractor to other aircraft manufacturers.

Snecma Morocco Engine Services:

Snecma Morocco Engine Services (SMES) is founded in 1999 as a subsidiary owned 51% by Snecma and 49% by Royal Air Maroc. SMES is specialized in themaintenance and repair of commercial aircraft engines (CFM 56 engines powering the Boeing 737). SMES inherited the maintenance of engines from RAM.
With RAM, SMES and Maroc Aviation, Morocco has gained a technical expertise and internationally recognized know-how. The national aviation industrial cluster became compliant with the most stringent European and American standards of quality for both civil and military operations.

https://www.clustercollaboration.eu...onal_cooperation/morocco_aeronautics_2013.pdf

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom