What's new

Monks in Myanmar have drafted a law that would make illegal marriage betwee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anees

Reaction score
Monks in Myanmar have drafted a law that would make illegal marriage between a Buddhi

The discrimination is part of a wider story on ethnic tension that has seen violent clashes between majority Buddhists and minority Muslims.

The trouble is testing the ability of Myanmar's leaders to hold the country together, as it transitions to civilian rule.

Myanmar, which is also known as Burma, is about 90 per cent Buddhist, a religion characterised by inclusiveness and tolerance.

But lately, those central elements of Buddhist teachings have been overtaken by a desire to protect Buddhism from Islam.

Monk Ashin Wirathu has been blamed in part for fanning religious violence that flared first in western Myanmar's Rakhine state last year between Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims, and has since boiled over elsewhere.

He has been described as "Burma's Bin Laden" due to his extremist anti-Muslim teachings, which he delivers in lectures like this around the countryside.

"They have the belief that the world should have Islamic faith," he said.

"So it's not only Buddhism, they attack, invade all other religions in the world.

"Shouldn't we use violence and hardship on those who practice against us? Also shouldn't we retaliate against those who are bad to us?"

In Meiktila in central Myanmar, when fighting broke out in March, both Muslims and Buddhists lost their homes and businesses after parts of the city were torched.

But the loss of life and property was overwhelmingly Muslim.

Now parts of town are closed off and in ruins, a few flags marking Buddhist homes lost in the vast destruction around a mosque.

Monk U Wi Thadda sheltered Muslims from the rampaging mob during those dark days a few months ago.

He is now working with Islamic leaders to try to restore trust between the two communities.

"I teach all people, whether from Buddhism or Islam, to interact with one another based on trust whenever they come together," he said.

But Islamic leader U San Win Shein says the relationship remains tense.

"We lived like family, relatives with Buddhist people, we lived like siblings but since this happened they have fear and worry in their minds," he said.

"They don't have trust anymore and I can see that they do not have same warm feelings as before."

Muslims displaced in the fighting are staying out of town in camps which the ABC was were unable to access.

About 5,000 people remain in camps, because their houses were burnt down in the violence.

Only Muslims have so far been prosecuted over the violence. One man has been jailed for killing a Buddhist monk with a sword and setting the body on fire.

Yet no one has yet been held to account for burning down a Muslim school, killing 28 children and several teachers.

Myanmar authorities say it is only a matter of time before Buddhist offenders are also held to account, but lawyer Thein Than Oo is concerned that there is little will to do so.

"There is no-one taking action over the murder of the children and many other people," he said.

"Let's say they're not even actively unofficially investigating the situation."

The fighting has now flared in four states and in all but one it has been contained to a single town.

In some cases local residents claim that strangers have come from outside, hell bent on causing trouble

Myanmar's monks draft law banning marriage between a Buddhist and a Muslim - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Not a good decision,extremists cannot be defeated by another extremists policies.

thanks to Muslim worlds rhetorics this issue has went from being ethnic issue to religious one with now even ethnic Burmese facing prosecution

Followers of a religion have the right to defend their religion. Where did you get the idea that checking expansion of foreign religions is the same as Nalanda and Bamian.

Lets not push it too far. You want a debate on religions?? I m ready.

Unfortunately your lofty emotions are not shared by others of your faith. Even a peaceful religion like Buddhism is acting against them.

Just a warning, religious discussions are banned on these forums. Failure to comply with these rules can result in an IP ban.

Calling for genocide, yeah, well done indeed. Now go back to your friend hitler.

How is disallowing inter-religious marriages genocide? Does Islam allow their females to marry males of other religion without the guy becoming a muslim first?

Just a warning, religious discussions are banned on these forums. Failure to comply with these rules can result in an IP ban.

Thanks for telling me... Pls tell that to the other fellow too.

their countries their rules .

The people mocking this don't see their religion also says something same but it's kosher as its their religion :D

Yea as if their are no muslim vaginas in 5 percent population . All Penises :rofl:

Speaking against injustice is only human, "their country, their rules" is what got 6 million Jews killed.

Speaking against injustice is only human, "their country, their rules" is what got 6 million Jews killed.

All religions have restrictions on marriage. It is only that they were not being followed strictly.

How is disallowing inter-religious marriages genocide? Does Islam allow their females to marry males of other religion without the guy becoming a muslim first?

Thanks for telling me... Pls tell that to the other fellow too.

You don't seem to get it, it's not just the banning of interfaith marriage the article talks about, these same monks have called for the death of muslims. Their words have killed children.

Anyone who call their actions as good deserves no respect.

As for telling him, he's been around much longer than you and I, he already knows the rules. If he chooses not to follow them, then he'll be dealt with by the mods. Since you're new, I thought I'd warn you.

By the way, I see the reactions of Indian Hindus, and how they are supporting genocide being commited on Muslims in Burma. This just shows their true colours.

So indians supporting this?-
I hope the law is followed by every Buddhist in the world-
So no more Budhis for hindus aswell- Enjoy-

if some one is supporting a genocide- he himself should be doing the introspection-

apparently apart from that law a genocide is going on there aswell- its not a secret-

Why get too agitated on it? Isnt Asian history full of genocidal episodes ... we also know who the perpetrators were .

As I said, introspection is painful, but essential if you want to grow up. Cowboy fantasies are good only till you dont get shot.

Well their country, their rule. People there should settle this rohingya's issue without violence.

100 or so people have died in Myanmar, and more than 100,000 have died in Syria, which ones a genocide?
Whichever side the evil yindoos support !!!!

The thing we should be asking right now is, what are these people doing on this site at the first place? shouldn't they be permanently banned?

Supporting genocide of Muslim on a Pakistani site is just inescuable, and a simple temporary ban wont do, we need a permanent ban for these members.

How come you are the spokesperson for Muslims around the world. Its Burma's internal matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom