What's new

Modi's 'Mad Dog Posture' - Credible threat or a populist farce?

You're right, we had very little input on the matter. Apart from a few "red carpet welcomes" on his trips to China, we had no real way of ensuring his victory. Just a few hints here and there.

Of course, nobody wondered "Why the Hell is China giving Modi a red carpet welcome if he isn't even the leader of India yet?"

Luckily people don't tend to think too much about that, like why a leader of a state/province is getting a welcome that is reserved for a head of state? Isn't that strange?

Don't think about it too deeply. :D
How laughable. Suggesting the "red carpet" treatment given to Modi in the past was part of some elaborate plot by a Pakistani-China nexus to elect Modi to power so he can then cause the inevitable destruction of the Union of India.

The "red carpet treatment" had nothing to do with the fact he was then Chief Minister of one of India's richest states with one of the most investor-friendly policies in India, is it?

How laughable. Suggesting the "red carpet" treatment given to Modi in the past was part of some elaborate plot by a Pakistani-China nexus to elect Modi to power so he can then cause the inevitable destruction of the Union of India.

The "red carpet treatment" had nothing to do with the fact he was then Chief Minister of one of India's richest states with one of the most investor-friendly policies in India, is it?

I'm sure you heard the news of a so-called "Chinese incursion" while Xi Jinping was in India.

Indians try to spin it like there is a disconnect between the CPC and the PLA, but do you know who the leader of the PLA is? You guessed it, Xi Jinping. And the PLA leadership (the CMC) is entirely filled with Xi Jinping's supporters.

Anyone who tries to dispute Xi Jinping's authority over the PLA will end up like Xu Caihou, the previous second-in-command of the PLA. Expelled and imprisoned. No one there has any doubt that Xi Jinping is the ultimate authority over the PLA.

So you tell me. Who gave the order?

I'm sure you heard the news of a so-called "Chinese incursion" while Xi Jinping was in India.

Indians try to spin it like there is a disconnect between the CPC and the PLA, but do you know who the leader of the PLA is? You guessed it, Xi Jinping. And the PLA leadership (the CMC) is entirely filled with Xi Jinping's supporters.

Anyone who tries to dispute Xi Jinping's authority over the PLA will end up like Xu Caihou, the previous second-in-command of the PLA. Expelled and imprisoned.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericrmeyer/2014/09/23/who-sabotaged-xi-jinpings-india-visit/

The reason for this derailing was the intrusion, on the 18th of September, of 1000 PLA soldiers in Southern Ladakh, one of the two contested regions along the Sino-Indian border. The troops were bringing heavy equipment and claiming to build a “provisional road”. This was known in the end of the afternoon, just an hour before the banquet that Modi had called in the honor of his guest. Therefore, while 1500 Indian soldiers were dispatched on the spot, Modi asked Xi to get his troops away – Xi acquiesced.

Friday the 19th however, the Chinese troops were holding ground. They eventually retreated – but dispatched a small group of 35 men to pitch tents: when this was reported in Delhi, whatever confidence was subsiding in the visiting party evaporated.

Observers were at a loss to explain. The faux pas was deliberate, but to what aim? Xi was losing all what he had come to fetch. Modi as well. Both men’s objectives had been derailed. Who might be those opponents of a Sino-Chinese rapprochement?

Some of them were obviously within the Chinese high command. They might also be in the regime’s political circles, high cadres trying to weaken Xi Jinping. Since his accession to power in October 2012, Xi has started a relentless anti-corruption campaign, that has already felled thousands of heads among cadres, among which dozens at ministerial level.

First came the “authorized” rumors of impending elevations for two generals faithful to Xi Jinping: Liu Yuan, and Zhang Youxia, deemed to become vice president of the Central Military Commission and head of the military’s discipline commission. This last organ is taking care of corruption within the PLA, and of dereliction of duty –the misbehavior likely to have occurred in Ladakh during Xi’s Indian visit.

Second, on Sunday the 21st, the commanders of each arm were gathered in Beijing to address “inefficiencies” in the chain of military command. Mainly, they were instructed to ensure that “all PLA forces follow the instructions of President Xi.” This last meeting was followed the day after by a second conference, where the Party Secretary delivered the mission to “develop new types of command”, for more efficiency but also for reliability and faithfulness to the core leader.

Last edited:

Anyone who tries to dispute Xi Jinping's authority over the PLA will end up like Xu Caihou, the previous second-in-command of the PLA. Expelled and imprisoned.

I don't know enough about the shady workings of the Chinese state to give you an informed answer to that question sir. But to be honest it is irrelevant, if Xi Jinxing has the control of the military like you say and he is the one who gave the orders, fine, so be it. Just like the Pakistanis have been doing from the eve of Modi's inauguration (with the Herat attack in Afghanistan) to now, the Chinese are probing the Indian Govt to see where the new boundaries/red lines are. Fair enough, whatever, act like petulant children who don't have to answer to your people- that is up to your leadership, the Indian government can't be held accountable for such shenanigans.

One way or another China is better off having cordial ties with India, any imbecile can see that. If, however, you want to join your friends in Pakistan in a little fantasy world where you can push and push India and expect no response, I'm sure India will have an answer for you too.

Modi is already working on a "plan B"- that bear hug with Abe and summit with Obama said it all.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst would appear to be the signals coming out of the PMO in Delhi.

This is just this idiot's take on the matter.

Nawaz Sharif also holds authority of Army. How many of them listen to him? We have 1999 Kargil for that.

Different country. Different issues. :lol:

Check any international analysis of Xi Jinping's rise to power. Pick any one you like.

The vast majority of the Standing Committee and the CMC are filled with his supporters. There is no question that he has consolidated his power far better than any Chinese leader in recent history.

Have you heard of Bo Xilai? How about Zhou Yongkang, or Xu Caihou? No matter how powerful they are, they couldn't do anything. And now look where they are.

If you know what the Standing Committee is, or the CMC, or if you have heard of Xu Caihou, you will understand that Xi Jinping's hold over the Chinese Government and the PLA is incontestable. That's simply how the Chinese system works.

So when Indians cry that: "Someone in the PLA is trying to undermine Xi Jinping", that just points to the fact that anything the PLA did was under the full ambit and authority of Xi Jinping.

Anyone who tries to dispute Xi Jinping's authority over the PLA will end up like Xu Caihou, the previous second-in-command of the PLA. Expelled and imprisoned. No one there has any doubt that Xi Jinping is the ultimate authority over the PLA.

Hilal Urdu October 20140024.jpg

My question is this: How much does Modi himself buy into the "mad dog" image? Modi seems to be very pragmatic so far and border tensions between India and *both* China and Pakistan may well be reduced under his tenure. IMO, there's no way to be an economic pragmatist and a 'mad dog' at the same time as the latter implies no compromise (which is antithetical to economic growth).

I think the Chinese government is rightfully viewing Modi's term in office as the opportunity it is - to get some real business done with India and further re-enforce India's desire to be a true independent player rather than encourage India to become yet another American lackey.

Forbes is an Indian source?

I haven't read anything from Forbes today, I'm talking about the Indian reaction as seen on this forum, usually backed up with Indian articles and "analysis".

Just tell me, when the Standing Committee and the CMC are filled with Xi Jinping's supporters, how can anyone undermine him there without ending up like Xu Caihou?

It's impossible, that's just not how the system works.

In all honesty Modi will just self distruct bjp will destroy india, Pakistan itsel is enough for India but it would be foolish to step on the tail of the red dragon and knowing modi probably will.

Modi is basically your answer to Zaid Hamid,

Zaid Hamid is more honourable then modi plus hes abetter public speaker

Back
Top Bottom