What's new

Modi may become a Richard Nixon-like statesman, says China daily

ito

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Likening Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China with that of the ice-breaking visit by former US President Richard Nixon in 1972, an article in the state-run newspaper on Friday said he has the capacity to resolve major contradictions between the two Asian giants.

“Modi is considered as a state leader with strategic insights. He may become a Nixon-style statesman because of his pragmatism and capacity to resolve major contradictions between China and India and to tackle the common challenges of development,” an article in the Global Times said.

The article titled “Modi’s Nixonian pragmatism refreshes ties” by Y A Liu Zongy, assistant research fellow of Shanghai Institutes for International Studies said.

Nixon’s visit to China in 1972 had opened up US-China relations after which US investments and technology started flowing into the Communist nation, which opted for a widespread economic reforms.

Nixon’s visit was considered an important step in formally normalising relations between the US and China. It marked the first time that a US president had visited the country. The visit ended 25 years of separation between the two sides.

Modi may become a Richard Nixon-like statesman, says China daily | The Indian Express

Then he should do it.

No point in "could be" if it's all business as usual later on.

The onus is usually on the larger power. What can poor India do? Its might China that must be generous. :sarcastic:

China is still a developing country. :D

It has to be reciprocated well from the other side too. Border incursions by PLA while your President is visiting India doesn't help the cause! :)

Except I don't believe there were any incursions.

Like your own Defence minister said, there are "differing views of the LAC" and sometimes one side will cross into an area that another believes is on their side of the LAC.

The only ones who go crazy about it though, are you guys. Which is weird because when you make such a big deal out of it, it makes it look as if your sovereignty is being violated and you can't do anything about it. Why would you want to give that impression? It's completely self-defeating, and puts pressure on both Xi and Modi to avoid looking weak by compromising on anything.

China is still a developing country. :D

Aw come on, you GDP is five times ours, your budget is more than our GDP - was anyway till last year, surely there is no comparison. You must be generous. The Nixon has to come from your side.

As for furor on incursions, that's mostly media, Indian media survives on hype and blowing things out of proportion for TRP.

Aw come on, you GDP is five times ours, your budget is more than our GDP - was anyway till last year, surely there is no comparison. You must be generous. The Nixon has to come from your side.

As for furor on incursions, that's mostly media, Indian media survives on hype and blowing things out of proportion for TRP.

For Nixon to do what he did, required a massive paradigm shift in the world, which was the Sino-Soviet split.

He was there at the right time, but I don't see any big paradigm shifts like that in the world today.

we are developing contry! this is ture. we are poor ,we are not advanced.

For Nixon to do what he did, required a massive paradigm shift in the world, which was the Sino-Soviet split.

He was there at the right time, but I don't see any big paradigm shifts like that in the world today.

1. Nixon comparison is a fallacy, but then again its your chinese newspaper who is doing it.

2. There is a US-Sino split going on right now, Or do you think Denial is a river in Egypt ?

Americans have already labeled him as the Next Ronald Reagan

I wonder which american president will he be compared to
George W Bush anyone

Then he should do it.

No point in "could be" if it's all business as usual later on.

I actually think its other way around. As Nixon visit gave China what it is today . So Chinese can do the same . You are factory of the world . India need to master mass production technology which China can provide .

Americans have already labeled him as the Next Ronald Reagan

I wonder which american president will he be compared to
George W Bush anyone

Abraham Lincoln :-) Modi will be known as father of modern high tech India for sure .

It's a two edge sword . One - Soviet Union , Two - Profit for American's companies .This is the main reason Nixon opened up the doors for ToT and shifting their industrial base to China due to cheap labor. Today India is what China was 30 years ago .

Did Nixon butchered innocents when he was in power .?

Modi compared to Nixon? GTFO!

Hitler is his only comparison, considering the millions of muslims he butchered.
10-2-15_Chinese-Imams-Forced-to-Dance.jpg

dancing-imams-1.jpg
dancing-imams-1.jpg

------------------------------

:lol:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom