What's new

Modi and South Asia

What policies could India adopt towards Pakistan? Given the civilian government there is attempting to reach out to the Indian administration, don't you think it'd be a golden opportunity to mend ties? Or am I being too optimistic here?
Given the true power lies with the PA it is irrelevant what the civilian govt is doing really.

Yeah just like India wouldn't get away from supporting so called Baloch rebels and militants from Afghanistan.
Bro, come on. There isn't a single shred of credible proof for this!

That's what happens when there is a lack of strong civilian institutions. The army becomes too powerful.
Indeed, so your point about the civilian leadership reaching out to India whilst not too long ago the PA COAS said Kashmir was the "jugular vein" of Pakistan shows how meaningless the govt's actions are. Nothing to dramatic will change on this front IMHO. Just like in 1999 when Nawaz Sharif couldn't control the PA from conducting Kargil, NS has little authority over them now.

SAARC is a failure because of India-Pakistan problems and Indian economy is too huge causing the fear of Indian dominance in rest of the members of SAARC.

I guess it was never meant to be. :/ so much potential together yet so many differences/fears to overcome.

we do have some plans for him lets hope they do materialize soon. But one thing is for sure that this terrorist in our neighborhood wont be tolerated by our nation for long.

Your nation tolerated surrender of 93000 soldiers quite well, that's one thing your nation excels at!

India's foreign policy won't change drastically with the change of government. We have a stable system where foreign policy is by and large independent of the party/person in power. There many be some subtle changes but don't expect anything drastically different from the previous government. Although with the clear majority on his back, Modi would not be blackmailed by regional parties, so that's a good thing.

Interesting perspective. I don't have a very in-depth knowledge on the Indian bureaucracy. It seems to be highly professionalized, as per your comment. Won't you speculate that with the majority in the Lower House, the BJP could influence foreign policy-making mechanisms ?

Indeed, so your point about the civilian leadership reaching out to India whilst not too long ago the PA COAS said Kashmir was the "jugular vein" of Pakistan shows how meaningless the govt's actions are. Nothing to dramatic will change on this front IMHO. Just like in 1999 when Nawaz Sharif couldn't control the PA from conducting Kargil, NS has little authority over them now.

Indeed. It can only spell disaster for the region if a country's security is perceived as being wrested solely on threats from a neighbor....

Modi needs to attract more FDI and ramp up investment in electricity, ports etc. He can build a manufacturing base the same way he did in Guj by seeking out Chinese investment and technical skills to complete projects on time the way the Chinese have done.

Once we lift the economy to levels of 7% growth we can spend more on defence which will have the world leaders being rolled out the red carpet to win big ticket deals.

Modi needs to attract more FDI and ramp up investment in electricity, ports etc. He can build a manufacturing base the same way he did in Guj by seeking out Chinese investment and technical skills to complete projects on time the way the Chinese have done.

Once we lift the economy to levels of 7% growth we can spend more on defence which will have the world leaders being rolled out the red carpet to win big ticket deals.

So, what are the implications of all that for the rest of South Asia?

Indeed. It can only spell disaster for the region if a country's security is perceived as being wrested solely on threats from a neighbor....
Well this is how it has been since the 50s with Pakistan. I don't see anything changing for a while, nothing short of a revolution is going to alter things there.

Keep defence spending pegged at 1.8-2% of GDP and as the economy grows so will the defence budget year on year no need to directly increase the proportion of GDP spent on defence. India has more pressing matters at hand and even today's budget is sufficient as long as it is properly allocated and spent effectively.

Well seen as a lot of countries in South Asia (Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives, Sri Lanka and to an extent Bangladesh) rely on India for security. The stronger India grows the safer they too will be.

Well scene as a lot of countries in South Asia (Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives, Sri Lanka and to an extent Bangladesh) rely on India for security. The stronger India grows the safer they too will be.

Let me add some nuance to this. Most of India's neighbors have experienced a rise in influence from China. What do you make of the increasing tensions in influence between India and China in South Asia?

i meant internationally in the first place. We r a regional power as well. And r powerful enough for this mug.

Regional power, yes. But with internal instability, wouldn't you agree that Pakistan is better off paying more attention to state consolidation?

Well this is how it has been since the 50s with Pakistan. I don't see anything changing for a while, nothing short of a revolution is going to alter things there.

No incremental changes? Or is it too late?

Any Pakistani perspectives?

Regional power, yes. But with internal instability, wouldn't you agree that Pakistan is better off paying more attention to state consolidation?
yup but slowly we r again gaining upper hand. But as Modi sits in our neighborhood he is most likely to be a destabilizing factor for the region in coming days. Hence he must not be tolerated.

Personally i would love to put put a bullet b/w his eyes or will make a horrible example out of him.

Modi will try to improve relations with Pakistan especially when it comes to trade (NS govt has said he will grant India MFN status but let's see!...) but improving of ties all depends 'if' there is a similar scale attack on India such as 26/11, which could lead to some form of assertive action by Modi.

I would like to see Nepal become a Hindu country like it was before the Sangh is working on this with others like the Shiv Sena in Nepal. India should monitor China in Nepal more closer and bring Nepal even closer to Bharat as we share more in religious and cultural ties.

Let me add some nuance to this. Most of India's neighbors have experienced a rise in influence from China. What do you make of the increasing tensions in influence between India and China in South Asia?
lol, are you righting some paper on international relations in the South Asian context bro?

Anyway, to your question. Yes the rise of China in what has long been "India's backyard" may be a concern to India somewhat it doesn't naturally have to be antagonistic to India. As long as these inroads are economic and "soft power" and not military based then India will let such things be. And a lot of this depends on how Indo-China relations evolve. For a while they have been pretty cordial but perhaps under Modi the two nations will get closer as has been speculated. However both India and China are growing nations with global and regional aspirations and aren't going to be overly happy with the other meddling in their neighbourhood. In the same way India might take issues with some of China's forays into the Sub Continent and the Indian Ocean region,China hasn't exactly been happy with India's look east policy especially India's growing ties with the likes of Vietnam and Japan. India also has good ties with the entire Pacific Rim- Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Australia, Vietnam, Indonesia etc and is growing the ties which may not sit well with the Chinese long-term.

No incremental changes? Or is it too late?
Any Pakistani perspectives?

Well that is plain for all to see, has there been anything to indicate the military leadership is taking its rightful subservient role to the civilian elected govt? None that I can point to.

Back
Top Bottom