What's new

Modi and South Asia

enigma123

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Given the spectacular performance of the BJP in the Indian elections, Modi is set to become the next prime minister of the world's largest democracy. I wanted to start to this thread to get a feel of what others think the implications for South Asia will be as Modi assumes this important role. As the largest country (in population as well as economy and military capabilities), what changes can we expect in India's foreign policies towards its neighbors?

1. Will SAARC be in the agenda for the new government? Or is it too late for the regional organization?
2. What will be India's approach to Pakistan and China? Modi has promised a more assertive foreign policy. Does this signal a renewed militarization of India?
3. What could be possible changes in India's policies towards its smaller neighbors, namely Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Nepal?

Looking forward to hearing all of your opinions.

PS:PLEASE refrain from name-calling and stereotyping. It'd be great to hear educated opinions, not emotional rants. Thank you.

Foreign policy will remain like that was in UPA regime.Core changes that there is a chance for merging trade policy with foreign policy.Now all he cares about Economy.About in military aspects you can see large private investements in defence production.Because Narendra Modi always support Private-Public business.Increasing militarization may happen.BD immigrants may face huge difficulties if they use illegal method.Similarly you can see and overall aggressive foreign policy but will peaceful.
I can see an exponetial growth in SL -India relations because Jayalalitha cant influence SL not any more.
Relation with Nepal will also increase.

Given the spectacular performance of the BJP in the Indian elections, Modi is set to become the next prime minister of the world's largest democracy. I wanted to start to this thread to get a feel of what others think the implications for South Asia will be as Modi assumes this important role. As the largest country (in population as well as economy and military capabilities), what changes can we expect in India's foreign policies towards its neighbors?

1. Will SAARC be in the agenda for the new government? Or is it too late for the regional organization?
2. What will be India's approach to Pakistan and China? Modi has promised a more assertive foreign policy. Does this signal a renewed militarization of India?
3. What could be possible changes in India's policies towards its smaller neighbors, namely Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Nepal?

PS:PLEASE refrain from name-calling and stereotyping. It'd be great to hear educated opinions, not emotional rants. Thank you.

SAARC is a of no benefit for South Asia. IMO. Modi will try more business with China, with Pakistan it will depends how Pakistan acts. Hasina is there is Bangladesh, things will go fine and we move forward to solve chitmahal issue. For Nepal or Sri Lanka, no idea.

A terrorist approach is expect. However im expect a war to take place or a possible assassination of this mug.

If anything Modi will be pushing for improved ties with the East and especially Japan and China from an economic front.

As for Pakistan if they play ball it could go well for them but if they chose to continue inflicting violence on India then they are not going to get away with it as easily under Modi is my opinion.

Foreign policy will remain like that was in UPA regime.Core changes that there is a chance for merging trade policy with foreign policy.Now all he cares about Economy.About in military aspects you can see large private investements in defence production.Because Narendra Modi always support Private-Public business.Increasing militarization may happen.BD immigrants may face huge difficulties if they use illegal method.Similarly you can see and overall aggressive foreign policy but will peaceful.
I can see an exponetial growth in SL -India relations because Jayalalitha cant influence SL not any more.
Relation with Nepal will also increase.

So what you're implying is that economic diplomacy will play a bigger role in India's foreign policy under the BJP? In essence, India will be on the path towards a military-industrial complex, similar to that of the US?

SAARC is a of no benefit for South Asia. IMO. Modi will try more business with China, with Pakistan it will depends how Pakistan acts. Hasina is there is Bangladesh, things will go fine and we move forward to solve chitmahal issue. For Nepal or Sri Lanka, no idea.

Hah! Why do you think SAARC is no benefit for South Asia? Wouldn't you think further economic integration would be a win-win for all South Asian states? I've always argued that SAARC has failed due to the Indo-Pak tensions and the dispropionate size of India when compared with its neighbors.

A terrorist approach is expect. However im expect a war to take place or a possible assassination of this mug.

Huh? I am a little taken aback by this. I don't see any of this happening.

As for Pakistan if they play ball it could go well for them but if they chose to continue inflicting violence on India then they are not going to get away with it as easily under Modi is my opinion.

Yeah just like India wouldn't get away from supporting so called Baloch rebels and militants from Afghanistan.

If anything Modi will be pushing for improved ties with the East and especially Japan and China from an economic front.

What policies could India adopt towards Pakistan? Given the civilian government there is attempting to reach out to the Indian administration, don't you think it'd be a golden opportunity to mend ties? Or am I being too optimistic here?

Huh? I am a little taken aback by this. I don't see any of this happening.
we do have some plans for him lets hope they do materialize soon. But one thing is for sure that this terrorist in our neighborhood wont be tolerated by our nation for long.

we do have some plans for him lets hope they do materialize soon. But one thing is for sure that this terrorist in our neighborhood wont be tolerated by our nation for long.

That sounds a little too extreme. In today's day and age, don't you think it's more conducive to add more nuance to the situation?

Hah! Why do you think SAARC is no benefit for South Asia? Wouldn't you think further economic integration would be a win-win for all South Asian states? I've always argued that SAARC has failed due to the Indo-Pak tensions and the dispropionate size of India when compared with its neighbors.

SAARC is a failure because of India-Pakistan problems and Indian economy is too huge causing the fear of Indian dominance in rest of the members of SAARC.

India's foreign policy won't change drastically with the change of government. We have a stable system where foreign policy is by and large independent of the party/person in power. There many be some subtle changes but don't expect anything drastically different from the previous government. Although with the clear majority on his back, Modi would not be blackmailed by regional parties, so that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom