What's new

MoD sits on tender for new submarines

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
The Defence Acquisition Council last year cleared the acceptance of necessity for this deal, which will lapse in August.

submarines-365_1339866884.jpg

The current lot of Scorpene submarines are being built in Mumbai.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has delayed the order for six additional (second lot) submarines to be bought for the Indian Navy. The decision comes at a time when the submarine fleet is getting depleted. The Defence Acquisition Council last year cleared the acceptance of necessity (AoN) for this Rs 50,000 cr deal, which will lapse in August, before which the tender has to be floated. The contract is for six submarines under Project 75 (I), which are a follow-on of the first six submarines currently being built in the Mumbai-based Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL) by French company DCNS.

All six submarines under the P-75 (I) contract are supposed to have the AIP (air independent propulsion) system onboard. The AIP is a technology which allows a conventional diesel submarine to operate without the need to surface and helps it to remain submerged for a longer period of time.

Four global vendors are in the fray: Navantia of Spain, Rosoboronexport of Russia, DCNS of France and HDW of Germany. India has been operating Kilo-class submarines of Russian origin and German HDWs and has them in its inventory. The Spanish and Russian submarines do not have the AIP system onboard, which is why, according to sources, Russia is trying to have this clause removed from the tender requirements.

Retired Vice Admiral B.S. Randhawa told this newspaper, "Two lines of different designs of submarines were supposed to run concurrently and then an evolutionary design of our own, but there has been a delay and this will affect force levels which are coming down. As AIP only helps in underwater patrols, its efficiency depends on the distance from the operating base and also on the expending stores of a submarine has to be taken into account as the storage capacity is very limited."

Already grappling with a shortage of submarines, the Indian Navy is currently left with just 14 submarines comprising 10 Kilo-class and four 209-German HDWs, out of which one Kilo-class (INS Sindhurakshak) has left for Russia for overhaul and modernisation.

Under the original six-submarine order, called Project-75 (worth Rs 18,798 cr), French firm DCNS is building the Scorpene at MDL. The project is already facing time and cost overruns. The order was signed in October 2005. The first submarine would be delivered in June 2015 and the last one in the second half of 2018, the Defence Minister said in Parliament last year. The government also sanctioned an additional amount of Rs 4,764.00 cr for the project.

Delay in the scheduled delivery was due to initial teething problems, absorption of technology, augmentation of MDL infrastructure, etc., Parliament was informed.

For P-75 (I), along with MDL, there will be participation from the Vishakhapatnam-based Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL), which will have a private Indian partnership. Hindustan Shipyard Limited was taken over by the MoD in 2009 to build the indigenous Arihant-class nuclear submarines. L&T is already collaborating with the navy, DRDO and HSL in manufacturing the indigenous nuclear submarines. Out of the six, two will be bought from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), three will be made in MDL and one at HSL.

MoD sits on tender for new submarines

.... total how many submarines(nuke+ conventional) that IN going to induct.....

good news.... total how many submarines(nuke+ conventional) that IN going to induct.....

What's the good news????? the plans were of 6 Scorpenes + 3 follow on (not sure) [delayed, inductions only after 2015]
6 P-75I + 3-4 Arihant class + 2 Akula class (21 subs) but now MOD is delaying the tender for P-75I's, MOD is still thinking about second Akula lease & Arihant has still to go for sea trials, this will hurt IN sub arm dearly, with both Pakistan & China on Submarine buying spree, we are falling behind with each passing year.

What's the good news????? the plans were of 6 Scorpenes + 3 follow on (not sure) [delayed, inductions only after 2015]
6 P-75I + 3-4 Arihant class + 2 Akula class (21 subs) but now MOD is delaying the tender for P-75I's, MOD is still thinking about second Akula lease & Arihant has still to go for sea trials, this will hurt IN sub arm dearly, with both Pakistan & China on Submarine buying spree, we are falling behind with each passing year.

im in airport on the way to US, haven't read article fully bro...

After the Scorpene debacle I am not surprised the bureaucrats at MOD are sitting on this file.

The easiest solution would be to build 6 more scorpenes after the first 6 are finally completed. That way no new skills (and the long process of trial and error) will have to be learned.

Scrap the P75-I Tender. Go for 3 More Scorpenes(Only for Numbers) with DRDO AIP as to be used in S5 and S6, as there is already the existing Infrastructure at MDL and It would be Idle after 2013 when all the 6 Submarines would be fabricated.

Buy the Blueprint for Russian Export Version Amur Class with VLS.

And Then We should Design our own Submarine with DRDO AIP and VLS and build upto 12 in 2 Lines on both the coast.

The Bigger Fish is the SSN. We should try to make SSN as the primary Subs for the IN. Diesel Electric Subs are good for Coastal Protection. For a Blue Water Navy, We need atleast 12-15 SSN.

Antony is lazy and do nothing minister, he needs thrashing before he start work. :hitwall: :sick: :tdown:

We need another Gen. VK Singh to push the things.
:enjoy:

I think PN might be going with U-214P and may be 5-7 in numbers.

Pakistan is off topic to this thread. :tdown:

Pak don't have money to buy anything, you can only go for chinese stuff that too on loan but you have to compromise on quality.

Antony is lazy and do nothing minister, he needs thrashing before he start work. :hitwall: :sick: :tdown:

We need another Gen. VK Singh to push the things.
:enjoy:

Pakistan is off topic to this thread. :tdown:

Pak don't have money to buy anything, you can only go for chinese stuff that too on loan but you have to compromise on quality.

Anthony is a madam chamcha, she commands, he performs.
Nothing moves without her assent.
Italians control indians, its a shame.
If the kickback is right,, she would give her nod.
Already she is sitting on piles of euros n USDs.

Pak don't have money to buy anything, you can only go for chinese stuff that too on loan but you have to compromise on quality.[/COLOR]

Don't make me start... I can troll beter than you

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom