MoD gives nod to 7 stealth frigates worth Rs 13,000 crore

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: TNN

P-17A-concept-1-w.jpg

The defence ministry on Friday approved a Rs 13,000 crore weapons and sensors package for the seven new stealth frigates being constructed by defence shipyards for the Navy as well as accorded the initial approval for the Rs 7,200 crore project to indigenously manufacture 244 air defence guns for the IAF.

The defence acquisitions council (DAC), chaired by defence minister Manohar Parrikar, also discussed the new defence procurement procedure (DPP), which will have a pronounced thrust on the ‘Make in India’ endeavour as well as the “strategic partnerships” provision for private sector companies.

“Another DAC meeting is likely to be held this month to clear the final policy,” said a source.The Rs 13,000 crore package for stealth frigates will be undertaken on a “single vendor and repeat order basis”. Basically, this means the frigates will be equipped with long-range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) systems, jointly developed by DRDO and Israeli Aerospace Industries, which are already fitted on the three Kolkata-class destroyers. The package will also include BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles, Ajanta electronic warfare systems and Humsa-NG radars.
The over Rs 50,000 crore contract for construction of seven ‘Project-17A’ stealth frigates – four at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai and three in Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers in Kolkata – was inked in February 2015 after clearance from the Cabinet Committee on Security, as first reported by TOI.

I think you should go through the entire article before posting it...

The defence ministry on Friday approved a Rs 13,000 crore weapons and sensors package for the seven new stealth frigates being constructed by defence shipyards for the Navy...

The number of P-17As will be increased to 9 for sure, talk has already begun. Russian Talwar-class FFGs will also eventually reach a count of 9, with the last 3 most probably built in India by a private-sector shipyard.

Add 3 existing Shivalik-class frigates. Total of 21 modern frigates.

3 new Russian frigates also coming. 10 new frigates in total...

Are you sure about the 3 frigates from Russia?

The number of P-17As will be increased to 9 for sure, talk has already begun. Russian Talwar-class FFGs will also eventually reach a count of 9, with the last 3 most probably built in India by a private-sector shipyard.

Add 3 existing Shivalik-class frigates. Total of 21 modern frigates.

i dont think the article say anything about ordering t Ships but weapons and ect package for them... 13k crore for 7 stealth ship is pretty lame... i think MoD already said to go ahead with the project

This deal was cleared in early 2015, I'm not sure what this news specifically relates to but it seems very out of date. The deal as it stands is a 2 year planning and procurement period (2015-17) with production starting in 2017 and a 60 month build period per P-17A so deliveries starting 2022 and 1 P-17A delivered every 12 months thereafter.

don't forget the US navy free navigation stuff

How about China uses Indian ocean resources under partnership with India and lets India to the same in SCS? And tell Uncle SAM to pack up?
( By Indian Ocean here we only mean the northern part which mainly concerns India).

This deal was cleared in early 2015, I'm not sure what this news specifically relates to but it seems very out of date. The deal as it stands is a 2 year planning and procurement period (2015-17) with production starting in 2017 and a 60 month build period per P-17A so deliveries starting 2022 and 1 P-17A delivered every 12 months thereafter.

i think its only about the Weapon and other packages for the P-17a...

Back
Top Bottom