What's new

Ministry Keen to Purchase 500 More Howitzer Guns from BAE Systems

My question is when India / DRDO can produce sophisticated artillery why not they produce light howitzer to save billions of $$$.

We cannot make Ultra LIGHT Guns like M 777

Only USA and Singapore make these LIGHT 155 MM guns which can be
carried by a Helicopter to the MOUNTAIN TOP

US Gun is LIGHTER than the SIngapore Gun

Any Indian poster falling for the soft trolling of the brick wall called maarkhoor is wasting their time. You can get a fossilized toad from 30 million years to understand our POV on India defence matters but can not get the house troll to say anything useful, EVER. Just ignore him.

What a stupid third class troll you are. We have the TOT for Dhanush from Bofors. Ultralight barrels however is the cats whiskers of artillery tech and we do not have it. All you wanted to do on this thread was to regurgitate your failure fatwa. Shove it where the sun don't shine.

Their industry is so advanced that even with tot, they wont be able to produce any of these howitizer.

Just like Pakistan can produce ballistic missiles but can't launch a 10 kg satellite to space.
Sir we are discussing Ultra light Howitzers please don't post off topic, if you still want to discuss that please open a new thread would like to share my thought on that.
Regards,

We cannot make Ultra LIGHT Guns like M 777

Only USA and Singapore make these LIGHT 155 MM guns which can be
carried by a Helicopter to the MOUNTAIN TOP

US Gun is LIGHTER than the SIngapore Gun
Dhanush i guess is close to 13.5tonnes while M777 is just under 4.2 tonnes and Mi-17V5 & chinooks both can carry it to forward high altitude/mountain top strategick postions for strategic bombing hence we need them 145 was just to start the order the orginal order for such light arty guns is close to 800+

Last edited:
looks more like if this deal goes thru there just might be follow on order for at least 25-50 more chinooks :coffee:

For Transporting 600 Guns ; we will need More Chinooks or MI 17 V 5

Dhanush i guess is close to 13.5tonnes while M777 is just under 2.5 tonnes and Mi-17V5 & chinooks both can carry it to forward high altitude/mountain top strategick postions for strategic bombing hence we need them 145 was just to start the order the orginal order for such light arty guns is close to 800+

M 777 is 4.2 tonnes
SINGAPORE S T Pegasus is 5.4 Tonnes

My question is when India / DRDO can produce sophisticated artillery why not they produce light howitzer to save billions of $$$.

There are quiet a few reasons for that- And I may not cover all but there are a few which comes to my mind-

#1- DRDO has no expertise in making ULHs-
#2- It is very good to have competition between two production lines- which cause prices to fall-
#3- Indian requirement is huge- [800(ULH)]+[~1000(Dhanush and Dhanush mk2)]+[814(Truck mounted guns)]+[~1000(SPH)]+[~1000(long range 52cal howitzer)] i.e. around 4500 155mm class Howitzer as Pakistan and China will help each other in war with India- Naturally all the requirements can't be met by DRDO alone-
#4- India is developing Marine brigades which will require ULHs so expect more orders-
#5- India plans to have at least 3 companies making advanced Howitzers in India may be even 4-
#6- India is developing Mountain strike groups which urgently requires ULH-
#7- Lots of people in India is jobless- M777 line will certainly get export orders from here-

OK got it so what about Dhanush :what: did they forge it at home or get it from Russia :D I f they can produce so called super duper Dhanush and its barrel at home then why not Ultra light Howitzers :big_boss:
I will tell you because they come to know that Dhanush is also a failure and Army need Howitzers urgently can't wait more.:wave:

You're kidding me right... People have already quoted you about Dhanush in the previous posts. Army has already placed order for 114 of them and some are already delivered to the Army more order will be placed in future. IA needs around 5k Guns

Last edited:
There are only 2 world class ULHs to be found in the world and the M777 is by FAR the world's most advacned and capable. Why should India invest vast sums in R&D trying to reinvent the wheel when it has a very attractive offer on the table?

It's like saying why does the US have the ability to produce the M4 but their special forces use Belgian FN SCAR and German HK-416?

looks more like if this deal goes thru there just might be follow on order for at least 25-50 more chinooks :coffee:
The CH-47Fs are not being bought purely to transport M777s- there is a HUGE requirement for more heavy lift helos especially in the North and NE for infrastructure devlopment.

Why should India invest vast sums in R&D trying to reinvent the wheel when it has a very attractive offer on the table?
Please tell this to DRDO also and stop wasting your time on Arjun, Tejas, Nishant and many more just prepare the shoping list.

Back
Top Bottom