What's new

Ministry Keen to Purchase 500 More Howitzer Guns from BAE Systems

No reasn to get excited. This deal has been on the cards for many years and nothing hs even been signed yet. It would be at least 2 years before the first gun is even built.
Well actually the very fact this option is being pursued is a reason to celebrate. The UPA was looking for a traditional direct import of 145 through a FMS from the US. The new GoI is pushing for something VERY different- 145 off the self with 500 to be made in India not only are the numbers FAR more attractive but shifting the, now closed, BAE M777 production line to India is a real coup.

This explains what Modi was doing talking to BAE's senior executives in the UK.

This also shows that the GoI is serious about giving teeth to the MSC instead of simply sanctioning it and expecting the IA to find resources from somewhere (like the last GoI had done).

What about Dhunush & DRDO155 mm which they developed locally, even TATA and few other companies already developed Howitzers.

Different classes of arty that are not direct competitors but complimentary to one another. The M777 is by FAR the world's most advanced ultra light weight howitzer in the world and are a real game changer for the Indian army.

You can't do this with a Dhanush/FH-77:

ORD_M777_Canadian_Under_CH-47_lg.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

(^note the IAF has just ordered the above helicopter- the CH-47F)

The Dhanush is set to start entering IA service very soon with firther orders expected. The IA's arty arm has been criminally neglected for the past 2-3 decades and there are about 4-5 different procurements/devlopments running simultaneously with a requirement of >6,000 guns and a budget of around $3-4BN to be spent on arty alone by 2019.

Why do we want to waste billion $ on imported howitzer.

BAE howitzer is light and fit for mountain warfare but we sholdnt waste money on artillery guns
Are you joking? The IA hasn't inducted a SINGLE new arty gun in my lifetime or most of India's population (with the national mean age being 27) and you are asking why the army is "wasting" money on arty?

Also I expect an order for at least 20 more chinooks directly for the army to support deployment of these Guns and operationalization of the Mountain Strike corps
The MSC alone needs 2-3 SQNs (20-25) worth of CH-47F, for supporting the BRO there is a requirment for a further 1 SQN, for the Northern Command a further 2-3 SQNs are required and for all other duties (Southern command and in the future ANC) 1-2 SQNs by 2025. More orders are certeinly on the way for the CH-47.

Very Good news ; these extra Guns are for China Border

Since this would allow us to completely withdraw the M46 Guns from China border and deploy them against the Lungis

I did NOT understand the Word LUNGI for Two Seconds But WHEN I realised
what LUNGI Means ; I fell DOWN from the Chair ; laughing :D

645 ultra light Howitzer Guns will make sure any Kargil like adventure turned in to one way ticket to hell

They Got AWAY very Lightly in Kargil

Not just Artilerry BUT
Next time there will be Sukhois and Brahmos and Smerch and Prithvis and T 90 Tanks
ALL will join together in dispatching them to HELL

Why not you produce such ultra light Howitzer at home for make In India :D
Bhaijaan indian metallurgy dept is so gone case that they dont even exist.....and also gun barrel metallurgy is so complicated that it involves multiple forging tech...that india is yet to learn it is same like single crystal turbine blade....

Bhaijaan indian metallurgy dept is so gone case that they dont even exist.....and also gun barrel metallurgy is so complicated that it involves multiple forging tech...that india is yet to learn it is same like singe crystal blade....
OK got it so what about Dhanush :what: did they forge it at home or get it from Russia :D I f they can produce so called super duper Dhanush and its barrel at home then why not Ultra light Howitzers :big_boss:
I will tell you because they come to know that Dhanush is also a failure and Army need Howitzers urgently can't wait more.:wave:

Last edited:
OK got it so what about Dhanush :what: did they forge it at home or get it from Russia.. :D I f the can produce so called super duper Dhanush and its barrel at home then why not Ultra light Howitzers :big_boss:
I will tell you because to come to know they can't Dhanush is also a failure and Army need Howitzers urgently can't weight more.:wave:
Ultralight!!!!! Barrel forging is very tough it requires very close monitoring..... And dhanush is not ultralight, its way to big , bro we are happy with failures!!!! But we still kick enemy balls

OK got it so what about Dhanush :what: did they forge it at home or get it from Russia :D I f they can produce so called super duper Dhanush and its barrel at home then why not Ultra light Howitzers :big_boss:
I will tell you because they come to know that Dhanush is also a failure and Army need Howitzers urgently can't wait more.:wave:
I've explained to you how the Dhanush/FH-77B is an entiely DIFFERENT product to the M777, comparing the two is futile- the two are not direct competitors, they are not mutually exclusive procurments- it is not a case of either or, got it?

Can the Dhanush do this:

howitzer-chinook-a.jpg

A big fat NO- end of story.

Dhanush AND M777 are being procured along with MGS and SPG arty. The Dhanush has passed the Indian Army's rigerous feild trails and is on the cusp of being inducted, do not try and spin your nonsense here.

+ where does Russia come into the picture with Swedish FH-77B guns upgraded with Indian FCS??

What a troll you are. We have the TOT for Dhanush from Bofors. Ultralight barrels however is the cats whiskers of artillery tech and we do not have it. All you wanted to do on this thread was to regurgitate your failure fatwa despite the explanation provided. Shove it.

Last edited:
@MaarKhoor

Dhanush is a Heavy GUN ; It is PLACED on Land Behind the MOUNTAIN

With M777 ; We will be TAKING the GUN to the MOUNTAIN TOPS

Now IMAGINE firing a Shell from TOP of a Mountain PEAK

Then the Shell will LAND deep in your TERRITORY
Your Roads ; Cantonments ; Fuel Depots ; AMMUNITION dumps all will
BE TAKEN OUT easily and QUICKLY

I've explained to you how the Dhanush/FH-77B is an entiely DIFFERENT product to the M777, comparing the two is futile- the two are not direct competitors, they are not mutually exclusive procurments- it is not a case of either or, got it?

Can the Dhanush do this:

howitzer-chinook-a.jpg

A big fat NO- end of story.

Dhanush AND M777 are being procured along with MGS and SPG arty. The Dhanush has passed the Indian Army's rigerous feild trails and is on the cusp of being inducted, do not try and spin your nonsense here.

+ where does Russia come into the picture with Swedish FH-77B guns upgraded with Indian FCS??
My question is when India / DRDO can produce sophisticated artillery why not they produce light howitzer to save billions of $$$.

Back
Top Bottom