What's new

Mineral reserves of Pakistan

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan has extensive geological variety.Mountain ranges of various origins and types.
Very few datailed surveys of the country's landscape have been carried out for mineral exploration...
I remember,once neqar the PMA kakul a villager told me that he had found traces of Aluminium ore and took the samples to some government geology department,but they didnt pay much attention.

If this neglected sector of mineral exploration is invested in,can this be a viable way of getting rid of foreign debts? May be we can pay them back in material/Minerals and metals instead of cash?

I read many claims or enormous coal reserves,uranium reserves and many other ores and minerals discovered in Pakistan..How many of these claims are legitimate?

Do you know of any area near you which in your understanding has significant reserves of a mineral?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a pity Zardari isn't utilizing these resources. Or is he?

The areas where the minerals are located are in Balochistan.

Zardari and his cronies will get shot the moment they go there.

Balochistan mate, what a lovely, mineral rich province. Look what we are doing with it.

Yaar, you cannot blame Zardari for everything. Its not that these mineral reserves have turned up overnight. They have always been there.

If these reserves have not been exploited then apart from Zardari, all previous Pak governments should also be blamed.

If these reserves have not been exploited then apart from Zardari, all previous Pak governments should also be blamed.
Good point. In all honesty, I hope the government gets some private sector companies to mine them.

One should be very careful about the money flowing in. Citizens of Pakistan should strictly check gernails and politicians---including business class---

I hope that they do not rob you guys this time.....If they do this time, Balochistan has all the right to declare independence. Yeah, it was not so patriotic statement but Balochis have all the right to question---We do not need a single corruption scandal from any institution now! ENOUGH is ENOUGH!

I will fully support Baloch independence if we hear any corruption scandal on any resources. They did not get gas and other minerals--All of the other provinces got it--Enough is enough!!!

The whole of baluch insurgency by sardars is focused on annexing this wealth. Tehy dont want basic needs and even education to reach their subject out of fear of uprising..classic fedualism!

The whole of baluch insurgency by sardars is focused on annexing this wealth. Tehy dont want basic needs and even education to reach their subject out of fear of uprising..classic fedualism!

Yes, feudalism is a problem BUT you cannot blame everything on it. A very close family friend of ours have big stakes in Balochistan. The first step to get contracts is to 'feed' money to the feudal, politicians and I cannot say about gernails since I do not know about it but there must be some 'here and there' in that institution too.

Only two solutions to the problem:

1) Finish feudalism, corruption, shoot corrupt politicians, bureaucrat, gernails, STOP GIVING Agriculture LAND TO gernails, enforce law on everyone, education, infrastructure etc

2) If you cannot do that (you FAILED to give Balochis an equal opportunity in past 63 years) then they have all the right to declare independence.

Balochistan has suffered a lot under Pakistan and now is the time to take solid steps and give Balochistan an equal right in every field!!!!

Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation- Exploration

PMDC inherited a well established Mineral Wing at the time of its beginning. Late in seventies and throughout eighties there was a hectic work in mineral exploration. During this period PMDC carried out about two dozen exploration schemes on a variety of industrial minerals. It has equally rendered consultation services to cement industry and a host of small private investors. Being a federal agency it collaborates international agencies as a joint venture partner to explore mineral wealth of the country.

Some of the important mineral exploration schemes are given hereunder as:

NWFP

* Malakand Chromite Project
* Dir-Swat Talc & Fluorite Project
* Abrasive Minerals
* Lapidary Development Project

Balochistan

* Duddar Zinc/ Lead Project
* Koh-I-Sultan Sulphur Project
* Good Hope Area Coal Exploration

Sindh

* Lakhra Coal Exploration & Development Project
* Nagar Parker China Clay

Punjab

* Exploration of New Salt Areas, Salt Range
* Salt Solution Mining Project, Dulmial
* D. G. Khan Iron Ore Project
* Khushab Bauxite Project

Azad Kashmir

* Mohriwali Graphite Exploration Project

Northern Areas

* Indus Sand Gold Project
* Hunza Ruby Project
* Gold and Base Base metal Geochemical Exploration, Northern Areas.

Joint Ventures

* PMDC has a joint venture with Sarhad Development Authority of the NWF Provincial Government to exploit Rock Salt resources at Nari Poono, Distt. Kohat with its stake as 49%.
* PMDC is a major stake holder (50%) in Lakhra Coal Development Company (LCDC) with Government of Sindh (25%) and WAPDA (25%).
* PMDC has signed an MoU with Metallurgical Construction Corporation of China (MCC) to develop Duddar Lead/ Zinc Project.
* Exploration & Development if Soapstone in Kurram Agency, FATA. (PMDC's share is 30%)
* Exploration & Development of coal deposits in Kurram/Orakzai Agencies in FATA.(PMDC's share is 51%)

Projects Sponsored by FATA Development Authority and being executed by PMDC:

* Exploration & Resource estimation for Coal Sherani Area, F.K.D.I Khan.
* Exploration and Development of Copper in North Waziristan.

Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation

I believe that we should not rely on minerals and therefore not extract them until our economy is fully developed.Specially Minerals which are located in key strategic and disturbed locations.

I know that the Salt mines at Khewra are the 2nd biggest in the world after a salt mine in Poland.

"It attracts up to 40,000 visitors per year and is the second largest salt mine in the world. Situated in the foothills of the Salt Range, the Khewra Salt Mines are the oldest in the South Asia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khewra_Salt_Mines

Back
Top Bottom