vostok

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
m665736.jpg

R.I.P.

Mikhail Kalashnikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From 1949, Mikhail Kalashnikov lived and worked in Izhevsk, Udmurtia. He held a degree of Doctor of Technical Sciences (1971)[1][2] and is a member of 16 academies.[16]

Over the course of his career he evolved the basic design into a weapons family. The AKM (Russian: Автомат Калашникова Модернизированный – Kalashnikov modernized assault rifle), first appeared in 1963, was lighter and cheaper to manufacture owing to the use of a stamped steel receiver (in place of the AK47's milled steel receiver), and contained detail improvements such as a re-shaped stock and muzzle compensator. From the AKM he developed a squad automatic weapon variant, known as the RPK (Russian: Ручной пулемет Калашникова – Kalashnikov light machine gun), and the PK(Russian: Пулемет Калашникова – Kalashnikov machine gun), which used the more powerful 7.62×54R cartridge of the Mosin-Nagant rifle. The PK series is a general-purpose machine gun. It is cartridge belt-fed, not magazine-fed, as it is intended to provide heavy sustained fire from a tripod mount, or be used as a light, bipod-mounted weapon. The common characteristics of all these weapons are simple design, ruggedness and ease of maintenance in all operating conditions.

Approximately 100 million AK-47 assault rifles have been produced by 2009,[8] and about half of them are counterfeit, manufactured at a rate of about a million per year.[11][17] Izhmash, the official manufacturer of AK-47 in Russia, has patented the weapon only in 1997, and in 2006 accounted for only 10% of the world's production.[7] Kalashnikov himself claimed he was always motivated by service to his country rather than money,[6] and made no direct profit from weapon production.[18] He did however own 30% of a German company Marken Marketing International (MMI) run by his grandson Igor.[19] The company revamps trademarks and produces merchandise carrying the Kalashnikov name, such as vodka,[8] umbrellas and knives.[20][21] One of the items is a knife named for theAK-74.[19]

Weapon designs[edit]
During his career, Kalashnikov designed about 150 models of small weapons.[16] The most famous of them are

Awards[edit]
Incorporates information from the corresponding article in the Russian Wikipedia

"I created a weapon to defend the borders of my motherland. It's not my fault that it's being used where it shouldn't be. The politicians are more to blame for this."

"I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower."

Mikhail Kalashnikov, 10th November 1919 to 23th December 2013.

RIP kalashnikov

The heritage of Russia,
The tradition of China,
The strategy of America,
The power of terror,
& the terror of Taliban....
The AK-47 Kalashnikov...

Rest in peace sir....

This is one russian that leaves behind a huge legacy.

May He Rest in Peace.

He was a giant.

Back
Top Bottom