What's new

MiG-29SMT Fulcrum upgrade, what will be performance improvements ??

Its one of the best AC for 3rd and 4th generations.......
But it cant be considered as 4.5th generation AC, coz its without AESA.

No offence, but i am sure that no version of Mig29 have AESA.
I would be tankful to u, if u post a source claiming AESA for mig 29.
Thankyou

There are lots of similarities between IN Mig-29K and Mig-35. As IN wanted a new batch of fighters for carrier based operation, Russia offered the Zhuk AE (AESA) for the new Mig-29K. But as of now there is no indictaion that Navy went for it. Its only on offer.

Sancho - I think the Russians didnt want the AESA to be offred with Mig 29, as that was their selling point for Mig 35, from a layman's POV the onlt difference on in IN Mig29Ks and Mig35 is the radar and the TVC.

I hope this was your question:)

Hi Dash, of course for Russia it is a key to sell Mig 35 to us, but that's not my point. I can't understand why our MoD choose it, because even N-LCA will have AESA radar, because it is based on the MK 2version. In IAF we will have more capable fighters alongside of Mig 29SMT and LCA like MMRCA and MKI, but for the IN carriers, Mig 29K will be the main fighter till the end of the decade. If russia is not able to offer us AESA radar, why didn't we try to get Elta 2052 for them?
If the Chinese will be able to build a carrier anytime soon, our Mig 29Ks could be fielded against their new J-15s, with longer range, possibly even AESA radars and heavier weapon loads. So will it be good enough against it?

sir, i think aesa radar on mig29 is only for navys new contracted 29 planes. and i think seniors members can help

No, Zhuk AE is not ready developed yet, that's why the Mig 29Ks will have only Zhuk ME, Zhuk AE (AESA) will only be available for Mig 35, or as later upgrades for the Mig 29Ks.

Hi Dash, of course for Russia it is a key to sell Mig 35 to us, but that's not my point. I can't understand why our MoD choose it, because even N-LCA will have AESA radar, because it is based on the MK 2version. In IAF we will have more capable fighters alongside of Mig 29SMT and LCA like MMRCA and MKI, but for the IN carriers, Mig 29K will be the main fighter till the end of the decade. If russia is not able to offer us AESA radar, why didn't we try to get Elta 2052 for them?
If the Chinese will be able to build a carrier anytime soon, our Mig 29Ks could be fielded against their new J-15s, with longer range, possibly even AESA radars and heavier weapon loads. So will it be good enough against it?

True the ELTA 2052 question has been bugging me also for quite long. But i guess we will never know.

I would loved to see 2052 as the core for MMR instead of 2032 but then it has its own complications with regards to cooling, size , etc.....

But the Russians don't have twin pylons for missiles yet (like the weapon config graphic shows too) and the twin pylons for bombs are for dumb bombs only, so not really useful. Be it the SMTs, or IN Ks, the Mig 29 is limited to 9 weapon stations only, with 3 of them possible for fuel tanks. Anyway, IAF will use them for interception mainly, so they will carry mainly missiles and will be re-fuelled in air if necessary.

Just noticed you had a query ,
Here you go
Have a closer look again

Photos zoomed in.... the adaptor is the APU-60-2 and it comes in non-interchangeable port and starboard versions.

day_04_49.jpg

day_05_10.jpg

Twin%20Pylon_01.jpg

Twin%20Pylon_02.jpg

Dual rail launcher on a Mig-21

th_88426_Monsundualrail_122_523lo.jpg

Just noticed you had a query ,

Interesting, but we were talking about the Mig 29/35 and so far not even the Flankers have such kind of pylons although it would be a nice addition.

Prateek, thanks for bringing back the info. New Mig-29s are a giant leap in the capabilities of IAF.

Back
Top Bottom