What's new

Middle East faces oil challenges as Russia and Latin America to be next shale oil stars - BP

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
16 January, 11:41
MidEast faces oil challenges as Russia and LatAm to be next shale oil stars - BP
460376223_52029abcb4_o.jpg

© Flickr.com/futureatlas.com/сс-by

BP predicts shale production will take off in Russia and Latin America within two decades. Russia and South America to contribute about 1 million bpd of shale oil each by 2035 and that oil from tight rock formations will account for 7 percent of global supplies in 2035, BP's chief economist, Christof Ruhl, told reporters.

Middle Eastern oil producers face a mountain of challenges in the next two decades as Russia and South America strive to replicate the U.S. shale oil boom, while demand jumps in the region's domestic markets.

Oil company BP said in its influential annual outlook issued on Wednesday that Middle East energy use will grow by 77 percent by 2035, double the increase in production, meaning as little as 65 percent of oil output will be available for export, down from 72 percent.

This could put additional pressure on government budgets of countries such as Saudi Arabiathat depend on oil export revenue, at the same time as supply from shale oil and other non-conventional sources meets the bulk of global demand growth.

BP expects Russia and South America to join the United States in tapping shale oil over the next two decades, indicating the shale boom that has transformed the U.S. energy market can, to some extent, be repeated in other countries.

"The second-biggest coming in over time is Russia and then South America, and in South America Colombia and Argentina," BP's chief economist, Christof Ruhl, said at a news briefing, referring to sources of shale oil growth outside the United States.

BP's prediction that countries other than the United States will partly re-create its shale oil boom contrasts with other long-term energy forecasts. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, for example, assumes shale production will have no impact outside North America.

The United States will become energy self-sufficient by 2035, BP said, a more concrete forecast than previously, as the shale boom allows it to surpass a previous 1970 peak in oil output and as gas supply rises. North America will become self-sufficient even earlier, in 2018.

The Middle East remains the world's largest oil exporting region and also becomes the largest consumer of oil and other fuel liquids per capita, surpassing North America, by 2035 consuming over three times the amount per person than the global average, BP said.

Low, often subsidised prices for gasoline and electricity give Middle East residents little incentive to switch to fuel-efficient cars from gas-guzzlers, or cut their use of air conditioning in one of the world's hottest climates.

At the same time, countries' efforts to develop their economies beyond oil are leading them into energy-intensive industries such as aluminium smelting.

Voice of Russia, Reuters

Excellent! We can finally hope to see oil prices crashing. Rs 20 a liter of petrol would be nice. The Middle East has been holding the world to ransom for far too long.

Wait till free energy is discovered. That would be the real game changer for the human race! And the time ain't too far off for that to happen.

Do you know Natural consequences of Shale Oil extraction ?? How much water is wasted . Not to mention in a couple of years they have to move on to next spot .

Saudi Arabia alone has $700bn in reserves and by the time others enter the game, Saudi Arabia will have trillions of dollars as reserve...So thats not the problem. The only problem is how would Arab countries invest their massive oil wealth?

Saudi Arabia alone has $700bn in reserves and by the time others enter the game, Saudi Arabia will have trillions of dollars as reserve...So thats not the problem. The only problem is how would Arab countries invest their massive oil wealth?

We got shale oil homie :D no biggy :D

We got shale oil homie :D no biggy :D

but still, diversify Saudi economy so you can really benefit from oil revenues.

Learn from UAE, 75% of their economy is now non-oil sector...

Do the same for KSA and then it'll be awesome :D

And btw, when in Gulf Arab Union going online? What happened to the 'single currency' thingy?

You thought right friend. Our economy has been growing by leaps and bounds over the years, as we speak. Right now, KSA's economy is no longer dictated by oil prices but at the same time we should push hardly enough toward developing heavier and heavier industries in addition to the industries we've got in hand.

Saudi growth no longer dictated by oil prices | GulfNews.com

I don't think the non-oil sectors of the UAE makes %75 if its economy. Maybe you were referring to Dubai or something.
but still, diversify Saudi economy so you can really benefit from oil revenues.

Learn from UAE, 75% of their economy is now non-oil sector...

Do the same for KSA and then it'll be awesome :D

And btw, when in Gulf Arab Union going online? What happened to the 'single currency' thingy?

As for the Gulf Union, currency, and the unified armed forces, the GCC is taking them in steps one by one at a time starting from a unified armed forces and so on.

You thought right friend. Our economy has been growing by leaps and bounds over the years, as we speak. Right now, KSA's economy is no longer dictated by oil prices but at the same time we should push hardly enough toward developing heavier and heavier industries in addition to the industries we've got in hand.

Saudi growth no longer dictated by oil prices | GulfNews.com

I don't think the non-oil sectors of the UAE makes %75 if its economy. Maybe you were referring to Dubai or something.

As for the Gulf Union, currency, and the unified armed forces, the GCC is taking them in steps one by one at a time starting from a unified armed forces and so on.

:yay:

Let our enemies have daydreams for all I care.

There are no enemies in this. Only successful competitors will last, survival for the fittest.

I am talking about the troll brigade here and their nonsense predictions.

Water ressources will be the future battlefield as well. We and the ME are in a vulnerable position there.

Last edited:
I hope Russia will not produce shale oil. At least, until invented a safe and harmless method of extraction.

I am talking about the troll brigade here and their nonsense predictions.

Water ressources will be the future battlefield as well. We and the ME are in a vulnerable position there.

I am noob at desalination technology.

What is the feasbility of Saudi settling up several desalination plants powered by nuclear reactors and/or solar power?

Saudi has the funds so if it is feasible then that would be the way to go.

I am noob at desalination technology.

What is the feasbility of Saudi settling up several desalination plants powered by nuclear reactors and/or solar power?

Saudi has the funds so if it is feasible then that would be the way to go.

Possible. In fact I predict that every ME country (major one) will adopt this. Since water is scarce in all ME countries. Let alone many places in the world.

Rainwater harvesting could also be a solution. There falls about 150 to 250 billion cubic meters of rainfall in the Kingdom annually. That's a big amount. But the problem is that it is not collected. Much is wasted and the farmers have wasted a lot of water on the nearly 500.000 farms in KSA for decades. Lastly people are not aware of the need to protect the environment so they are wasteful. Like all developing nations and even those that are already fully developed.

There are about 300 dams in KSA, many in the mountainous areas, but more should be built for the purpose of collecting water or distributing it.

Al-Rasheed said every year there is 150 billion to 250 billion cubic meters of rainfall in the Kingdom, while the amount of desalinated water the public consumes annually is 3 billion.

Anyway it will become a problem for many countries across the world. Many conflicts are already indirectly being fought for water and other resources.

Since the world's population is increasing rapidly it adds to the problems. Irrigation of lands and wars/conflicts add to the problems as well.

Back
Top Bottom