What's new

Micro stories - small news bits too small to have their own thread

Nintendo's new smartphone. J/K still a cool concept though.

29b1e4fc-s.jpg

@SvenSvensonov come back! This thread sucks without you - this forum sucks without you! And damn if you weren't one of PDF's best members. Come back!!!

Anyone object to me reviving this thread? I'll try to update it, but I can't say I'll be as frequent as Sven. Anyone interested?

Oh, It's Half-Life, Running On A Watch

1353859217176366662.gif

Yeah yeah, we know Doom runs on everything from calculators to ATMs, but that’s Doom. There’s something about seeing Half-Life running somewhere crazy—like some guy’s watch—that makes it more impressive.

Using the SDLash app, you can boot and play Half-Life (or, I guess, any older game using the Source engine) on an Android Wear watch. While it’s far from perfect—the game is hard to control and crashes—that doesn’t change the fact you can play Half-Life from your watch.

Note that this is an original LG G Watch; bigger Wear devices, at least those with square screens, might make things a little easier.

I'm reviving this thread:-)

Watch This Boeing 777 Land In A 75 MPH Windstorm

1358016563041788742.gif

Extreme crosswind landings can be terrifying, and yesterday, pilots in the Netherlands were thrown into the crucible when the worst storm in 100 years rocked Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport with winds up to 75 miles per hour. This incredible video shows a KLM 777-300ER pitching and rolling until the last possible second.

While yesterday’s weather at Schiphol Airport was the worst on record, there have been other notably ugly days. This video from May 2015 shows another angle, beginning with a 747 finding the runway’s centerline at the last moment before touchdown:

Crosswind landings are among the most difficult situations that pilots must overcome. The delicate ballet of control inputs is a test of both skill and confidence. Beyond being a true testament to pilots’ skills, however, they also make for great videos!

Anyone object to me reviving this thread? I'll try to update it, but I can't say I'll be as frequent as Sven. Anyone interested?
I have some interesting things to share, will do-if i get the time to.

Mechanical Wrist Will Take Robotic Surgery to Places As-Yet Inoperable

1358945980499343912.gif

Robotic surgery has become a relatively commonplace, with 1.7 million robotic procedures occurring between 2007 and 2013. This new tiny robotic wrist, however, will take the procedure into the head, face and neck.

The Engineer reports that this flexible wrist is the latest advance in needlescopic surgery, which uses tiny robotic components—typically needle-sized, hence the name—to carry out surgery with minimum patient impact. All the devices required to perform such surgery are inserted through an incision just 5-10 millimeters long, causing less pain and ultimately only requiring surgical tape to fasten back up.

Sadly, needlescopic surgery has so far lacked devices with articulation, making it hard to cut or remove tissue. Instead, a sharp ring or heated wire—along with some back-and-forth motion, like a saw—has been used to remove tissue. This new mechanical wrist, developed by researchers from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, solves that problem. The Engineer explains how it was made:

Cutting minute slots down the side of the rigid nitinol tube made it more flexible; running a slender wire down the middle of the tube and attaching it to the tip beyond the slits gave a mechanism to bend it, by just pulling the wire. This will bend the tip by up to 90°, and because of nitinol’s memory properties, it spring back when tension is released.

The advance should allow needlescopic surgery to enter as-yet uncharted territory in the neck, face and head—as well as helping surgeons “perform operations that are not feasible at present.,” according to surgeon Duke Herrell, who’s helped to develop the tool. Fancy having this creep up your neck in an operating theater?

This Is What Super continent Pangaea Looks Like Mapped With Modern Borders
imagine traveling from China to Antarctica, crossing through Canada, Brazil and India – without setting foot in any water. Unfortunately, you’ve missed your chance long ago as the supercontinent of Pangea no longer exists.

But thanks to the illustrative talents of Massimo Pietrobon, you can see how Pangea may have looked before the epic landmass started ripping itself apart 200 million years ago to form the continents and countries of the world today.

file.jpeg

Image Credit: Massimo Pietrobon

Surrounded by a superocean called Panthalassa, the bulk of Pangea was in the southern hemisphere, unlike how the continents are spread out now.

Evidence for Pangea has been found in similar fossils recently discovered in South Africa, India and Australia, such as the therapsid Lystrosaurus and similar rock forms seen between the eastern coast of South America and the western coast of Africa.
This Is What Supercontinent Pangea Looks Like Mapped With Modern Borders | IFLScience

In Africa, Cats Are Riding Rhinos

1359467634487849319.gif

This is the first video ever capture of a cat riding a rhino. And man, it does not look like an easy ride. It’s basically a real life Timon and Pumbaa.

The cat in question is a genet, a relative of the mongoose that has a long snout, large ears, a cat-like body and long tail, but shorter legs. Their fur is spotted like that of a leopard. They’re agile creatures that can run, jump and climb, and do so to catch insects and small reptiles and mammals. They live across Africa.

Genets have been captured riding on large mamals — typically water buffaloes — before. This endangered black rhino is much rarer, so seeing a genet aboard one is an even more exceptional event.

1359467634661039975.jpg

Photo: Bernard Dupont

What’s it doing there? Wildlife ACT speculates that the genet was either using the rhino as a vantage point to spot small game, taking advantage of the insects disturbed by the rhinos feeding or perhaps eating ticks and parasites off its hide.

It appears as if the genets presence startled the rhino, causing it to try to shake the hitchhiker, then flee.

This Tree Can Grow Over 40 Different Kinds Of Fruit

tree-of-40-fruit.jpg

The enchanted-looking tree above harbors a wondrous secret.

Using an ancient technique called “chip grafting,” artist and Syracuse University professor Sam Van Aken has carefully nurtured trees that can bear over 40 different types of stone fruits, including peaches, nectarines, apricots and almonds.

The process is one of patience: Over several years, Van Aken splices branches with buds of various varieties into a base branch called the “working tree.”

By springtime, the “Tree of 40 Fruit” sprouts pink and purple blossoms. In the summer, the tree begins to bear fruit of all kinds.

“Part of the idea behind the Tree of 40 Fruit was to plant them in locations that people would stumble upon them,” said Van Aken speaking to National Geographic in the video below. “And once they happened upon one of these trees, they would start to question ‘Why are the leaves shaped differently?’ ‘Why are they different colors?’”

Dozens of these trees have been planted around the U.S. You can find out here if a Tree of 40 Fruit is near you.

This Tree Can Grow Over 40 Different Kinds Of Fruit | IFLScience

This is in fact quite interesting, a technique used where i come from too. It's used to grow better species of a certain fruit in an already grown tree....Quite interesting.
@Akheilos ......

What if you shot a gun in space?

space-gun-360x240.jpg

Given how cool it sounds — well, not literally, since there's no sound in space— to shoot a gun in space, it's a wonder there aren't more movies featuring space cowboy cops with real guns instead of laser pistols. Such films could even have some basis in fact, because shooting a gun in space would certainly work, though not quite like it does on Earth.

In addition to there being no sound in space, there is also no oxygen, which is required to create and sustain any kind of fire. Modern guns, however, have their own internal oxidizers, chemicals that ignite the gunpowder and fire the bullet. This internal process allows a gun to fire no matter where you are when you pull the trigger [source: Wolchover].

But here's where it gets interesting — and film-worthy. Perhaps you've heard of Newton's third law, which says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction [source: NASA]. What this means is that if you were floating in space and fired a gun, the recoil of the gun — that force that pushes against your shoulder on Earth, but which your feet and gravity help to stop — would push you backward, though you wouldn't really feel it. You'd only notice that while the bullet was moving in one direction, you'd be moving away from it in the opposite direction [source:Harris].

And what about that bullet? Bullets shot in space wouldn't really travel any faster than they would on Earth, though they could travel farther. On Earth, gravity eventually pulls the bullet down, even if it doesn't hit anything — or anyone. In space, where there is no gravity, your bullet could keep moving forever as long as it doesn't hit something — like an asteroid or a planet.

Of course, if your aim is really good (or if you're really unlucky), you could end up shooting yourself. How? If you're in orbit around a planet — meaning you're being held by a weak gravitational field — and you shoot straight ahead, the bullet will stay in orbit, come around the planet and shoot you in the back [source:Wolchover].

Not an honorable way for a movie to play out — but it might be fun in a dark comedy.

This is quite interesting, especially the last part, @Gufi ........

This Tree Can Grow Over 40 Different Kinds Of Fruit

tree-of-40-fruit.jpg

The enchanted-looking tree above harbors a wondrous secret.

Using an ancient technique called “chip grafting,” artist and Syracuse University professor Sam Van Aken has carefully nurtured trees that can bear over 40 different types of stone fruits, including peaches, nectarines, apricots and almonds.

The process is one of patience: Over several years, Van Aken splices branches with buds of various varieties into a base branch called the “working tree.”

By springtime, the “Tree of 40 Fruit” sprouts pink and purple blossoms. In the summer, the tree begins to bear fruit of all kinds.

“Part of the idea behind the Tree of 40 Fruit was to plant them in locations that people would stumble upon them,” said Van Aken speaking to National Geographic in the video below. “And once they happened upon one of these trees, they would start to question ‘Why are the leaves shaped differently?’ ‘Why are they different colors?’”

Dozens of these trees have been planted around the U.S. You can find out here if a Tree of 40 Fruit is near you.

This Tree Can Grow Over 40 Different Kinds Of Fruit | IFLScience

This is in fact quite interesting, a technique used where i come from too. It's used to grow better species of a certain fruit in an already grown tree....Quite interesting.
@Akheilos ......

What if you shot a gun in space?

space-gun-360x240.jpg

Given how cool it sounds — well, not literally, since there's no sound in space— to shoot a gun in space, it's a wonder there aren't more movies featuring space cowboy cops with real guns instead of laser pistols. Such films could even have some basis in fact, because shooting a gun in space would certainly work, though not quite like it does on Earth.

In addition to there being no sound in space, there is also no oxygen, which is required to create and sustain any kind of fire. Modern guns, however, have their own internal oxidizers, chemicals that ignite the gunpowder and fire the bullet. This internal process allows a gun to fire no matter where you are when you pull the trigger [source: Wolchover].

But here's where it gets interesting — and film-worthy. Perhaps you've heard of Newton's third law, which says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction [source: NASA]. What this means is that if you were floating in space and fired a gun, the recoil of the gun — that force that pushes against your shoulder on Earth, but which your feet and gravity help to stop — would push you backward, though you wouldn't really feel it. You'd only notice that while the bullet was moving in one direction, you'd be moving away from it in the opposite direction [source:Harris].

And what about that bullet? Bullets shot in space wouldn't really travel any faster than they would on Earth, though they could travel farther. On Earth, gravity eventually pulls the bullet down, even if it doesn't hit anything — or anyone. In space, where there is no gravity, your bullet could keep moving forever as long as it doesn't hit something — like an asteroid or a planet.

Of course, if your aim is really good (or if you're really unlucky), you could end up shooting yourself. How? If you're in orbit around a planet — meaning you're being held by a weak gravitational field — and you shoot straight ahead, the bullet will stay in orbit, come around the planet and shoot you in the back [source:Wolchover].

Not an honorable way for a movie to play out — but it might be fun in a dark comedy.

This is quite interesting, especially the last part, @Gufi ........
Well i have got a mango tree that bears 5 different types of mango back at our farm in village. Even that is great fun to watch seeing five different shape/size mangoes on one same plant and all having different taste. I wonder that this 40 kind tree will be like :)

Well i have got a mango tree that bears 5 different types of mango back at our farm in village. Even that is great fun to watch seeing five different shape/size mangoes on one same plant and all having different taste. I wonder that this 40 kind tree will be like :)
We have apricot trees, they grow different types of apricots and berries. It's own apricots are of bad qualities. My uncle told me, he once brought and still does: those big reddish, good quality apricots and peaches and he 'chip grafted' them. I hope i am using the term correctly, it's fascinating, isn't it. This should be practiced, this technique is not very well know in Pakistan, expect where i come from. We still have those trees, huge and are producing different types of fruits.

I wonder that this 40 kind tree will be like :)
Quite fascinating, indeed.

We have apricot trees, it grows different types of apricots and berries. It's own apricots are of bad qualities. My uncle told me, he once brought and still does: those big reddish, good quality apricots and peaches and he 'chip grafted' them. I hope i am using the term correctly, it's fascinating, isn't it. This should be practiced, this technique is not very well know in Pakistan, expect where i come from.
mm well it is not very uncommon actually, all the mango you eat today are varieties developed by grafting. The basic mango (desi mango that is) are grafted with various variates to produce all these types you see in market (like Chaunsa, Sindhri, Dusehri etc). Grafting a plant with one type is common a easy, in fact, essential in many fruits. The mango tree mentioned is one tree with one branch producing one variety and the other one bearing a different variety. The tree you mentioned in your post is also one single tree that is bearing 40 different varieties/fruits and that indeed is a remarkable feat on part of the farmer.

@Akheilos ......
:agree: grafting is taking new levels...

The tree you mentioned in your post is also one single tree that is bearing 40 different varieties/fruits and that indeed is a remarkable feat on part of the farmer.
It is interesting but all the fruits belong to the same family called: Rosaceae

Wonder if they can do cross family....

'chip grafted' them
chip-budding.jpg

graft-Chip-Bud_200.jpg

The process is one of patience
:agree:

:agree: grafting is taking new levels...

It is interesting but all the fruits belong to the same family called: Rosaceae

Wonder if they can do cross family....

chip-budding.jpg

graft-Chip-Bud_200.jpg

:agree:
Have not done cross family grafting myself but here in AARI Faisalabad they are doing cross family grafting. In fact grafting is a relatively old technique now they are messing up with genes and what not :)

lolz...not really :ashamed:

Faisalabad? Can I get some info on Strawberry??
Hey what is this with you and strawberries man? :lol: what are you trying to do?? That is if you do not mind sharing!
And about messing with genes, they are, my Mamu is a Post Doc Research Scientist working there am there almost once every week :)

Back
Top Bottom