What's new

Micro stories - small news bits too small to have their own thread

Watch What Happens When You Put A Hummingbird In A Wind Tunnel

moudnrbhatdkqfrjp4is.gif

High speed footage can reveal the unusual mechanics of a hummingbird's wingbeat. Here's how this remarkable aerialist keeps a level head, even in the face of aggressive wind and rain.

For its season finale, KQED's outstanding science series Deep Look (previously here and here) caught up with scientists at UC Berkeley who are studying the flight dynamics of wild hummingbirds. With the help of high speed videography, the researchers can monitor the hummingbirds' atypical wing movements one flap at a time, as the tiny birds respond to inclement weather scenarios inside a little hummingbird-sized wind tunnel, which doubles as a rain-simulation chamber:

We knew dogs weren't the only animals that shake to shed water (mammals of all shapes and sizes employ the technique), but who would have guessed that hummingbirds do it, too?

r4rf00jhzbp7re3qsl5p.gif

Cool video.
Possible explanations:
1) Star Wars situation....A long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away.
They simply got advanced...had a big war...and then sort of went back to a simplistic life.

2) There was plenty of life and then the Universe had a "Big Crunch" and everything went back to square one.

3) This dimension we are in is considered an "uninteresting desert" and they moved to a more exciting one leaving us behind like some cactus in the middle of the Badlands.

4) The universe we are in is like Horton Hears a Who! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia we are so small nobody can hear us.

Very cool. The iBot is freaky though.

I'm guessing he irked somebody by saying "stupid" a bunch of times. Doesn't take much..I'm back from being banned myself.
See his last few in the "Whatever" thread under "Postings"
SvenSvensonov
It's ridiculous because he contributes a lot to the forum. It seems the admins want to cut off people like him and keep the quality of the forum down.

It's ridiculous because he contributes a lot to the forum. It seems the admins want to cut off people like him and keep the quality of the forum down.

Well it has been way more than a week so something permanent has happened.

Well it has been way more than a week so something permanent has happened.
Well, if the admins on this forum can't tolerate someone actually contribute something useful for the forum while letting trolls run freely then I think it's much better to move on to a more civilized forum like skyscrapercity.

Well, if the admins on this forum can't tolerate someone actually contribute something useful for the forum while letting trolls run freely then I think it's much better to move on to a more civilized forum like skyscrapercity.

Are non-skyscraper topics even allowed there? There appears to be only a single thread for military matters, and the political discussion is nearly non-existent. Do you know the tolerance level of the mods/admins there for transferring PDF-type discussions over there?

On a side note, to be fair to the PDF admins, I suspect Sven had himself banned in order to concentrate on his work. Not confirmed, just a gut feeling.

Are non-skyscraper topics even allowed there? There appears to be only a single thread for military matters, and the political discussion is nearly non-existent. Do you know the tolerance level of the mods/admins there for transferring PDF-type discussions over there?

On a side note, to be fair to the PDF admins, I suspect Sven had himself banned in order to concentrate on his work. Not confirmed, just a gut feeling.
Political matters are barely allowed there but there's enough room for economic discussions. Your posts are very informative and since economic discussions are tolerated, I think you should be alright. To be honest, I don't like the absence of political discussions either so I am also searching a forum that features intense debates with strict moderation.

The first ban is only a week (just suffered my first one recently). So considering he has never been banned I would expect he either requested some kind of lengthy ban or he posted something so incredibly bad (very unlikely) that he got a lengthy ban.

I don't see a chat with Horus/Webmaster but maybe he has privacy privileges.

Last edited:

I don't know Sven quite as well as some other members do, but he has come off as a class act from what I have observed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom