What's new

Mexico offers China US$300b in infrastructure deals

qwerrty

Reaction score
Wednesday, 11 September, 2013, 4:49am

Latin American country is seeking Chinese partners for US$300 billion of projects, providing investors a back door for entry into the US market

Mexico is looking to China to boost its economy while offering Chinese companies a share of US$300 billion of infrastructure projects being planned for the country, which could serve as a back door for mainland manufacturers to export their goods to the United States.

"Mexico requires large investments in infrastructure, such as oil platforms, trains, ports, bridges and highways. China has premier quality in infrastructure and time-to-market delivery," said Banco Interacciones managing director Fernando Moreno, who is in Beijing seeking mainland investment and building relations with potential Chinese partners.
Mexico has a large border with the US. There is going to be a lot of interest from Chinese companies in putting up factories to supply to the US market. This infrastructure can help

"Mexico has a large border with the US. There is going to be a lot of interest from Chinese companies in putting up factories to supply to the US market. This infrastructure can help.

"Our bank is looking for Chinese industrial companies to invest in Mexico to supply the US market."

Banco Interacciones is Mexico's largest infrastructure-financing bank. Under the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement, there are no tariffs on most goods moved between the US and Mexico.

Previously, Mexican factories that exported to the US were seen as competitors by Chinese manufacturers.

As one example of a Mexican project seeking Chinese investment, Pemex, the state oil monopoly, will require 52 oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico in the next six years. Each platform would cost about US$280 million, Moreno said.

Other projects for which Chinese investment was being sought were three railway lines with a total cost of US$2 billion to US$2.5 billion to be completed within six years.

Mexico also required large investments in the renovation of two ports and the construction of a new port, Moreno added.

"The Mexican government wants to upgrade ports," he said. "Chinese technology is very state-of-the-art."

Earlier this year, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto announced a transport and communications infrastructure investment programme for the six years to 2018, under which the government would allocate US$300 billion for building highways, railway, ports, airports and telecommunications infrastructure.

Pena Nieto also announced the opening of opportunities for foreign investment in energy and mining, which were previously closed to foreign investment.

"There is greater possibility of Chinese companies investing in Mexican oil," Moreno said.

The government aimed to boost infrastructure spending from about 4 per cent of gross domestic product in the past to 7 per cent, he said.

Moreno said the two previous governments had neglected foreign investment, but Pena Nieto, who took office in December last year, was more proactive in courting foreign investment.

Chinese investment in Mexico was still small, he said. The US was the biggest investor last year with investments reaching US$7.52 billion, according to government data. China invested US$80.7 million.

China was also Mexico's second-biggest trading partner after the US, with trade between the two countries soaring to US$62.7 billion last year from just US$3.2 billion in 2000, Mexican data showed.

*ttp://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/1307863/mexico-banks-china-get-back-feet

This is great.

Go and win at least 100 billion UDS worth of infrastructure deals in Mexico. :azn:

The question is that whether China can get paid and also get paid on time.

ding ding ding ding ding. Another winner.

Don't worry. They can always pay in Tequila.

^^
Are you kidding me? Tequila is my favrouite. I am downing it right now.

Edit- Oh btw, China just signed a $400million of Tequila deal with Mexico on the last Xi visit.

^^
Are you kidding me? Tequila is my favrouite. I am downing it right now.

I'm not saying it is bad (taste isn't that important for hard spirits), but it tastes awful compared to say, a good vodka.

:lol: how do you know what cleaning liquid and gasoline tastes like?

When I smell cleaning fluid or gasoline, that's the closest thing I can use to describe the taste of Tequila. :no:

^^^

May be you are a sissy drinker (just kidding). You can try Margarita. You will like it. It is made with Tequila.

^^^

May be you are a sissy drinker (just kidding). You can try Margarita. You will like it. It is made with Tequila.

LOL I do drink it, just it tastes worse than any other hard spirit in my opinion.

Margarita, I don't know about that. These are all Mexican things.

^^^

Give it a chance, you will like the Mexican stuff. Not just drinks but food. They are very healthy too.

Edit: When you buy Tequila, don't be cheap. Get the best that is made with 100% Blue Agave.

This is how you drink Tequila - cut up some lime first in small section, put a pinch of salt on between the thumb and the first finger, pour a shot. Lick the salt, GanBei, bite a section of lime.

^^^

Give it a chance, you will like the Mexican stuff. Not just drinks but food. They are very healthy too.

Edit: When you buy Tequila, don't be cheap. Get the best that is made with 100% Blue Agave.

This is how you drink Tequila - cut up some lime first in small section, put a pinch of salt on between the thumb and the first finger, pour a shot. Lick the salt, GanBei, bite a section of lime.

Isn't it drink the shot, then bite the piece of lemon and then lick the salt from the hand?
I think it's salt AFTER biting the lemon.

LOL I do drink it, just it tastes worse than any other hard spirit in my opinion.

Margarita, I don't know about that. These are all Mexican things.

Try Absinthe, it's got 90% alcohol content.
Incredibly strong, try it one time.

Isn't it drink the shot, then bite the piece of lemon and then lick the salt from the hand?
I think it's salt AFTER biting the lemon.

Yeah that's how we do it as well.

That might be the problem, the only Tequila I have drunk was cheap. I'll try an expensive one and see how it goes. :P

That might be the problem, the only Tequila I have drunk was cheap. I'll try an expensive one and see how it goes. :P

psh. how about a compromise. down 3 shots of vodka then wash it down with another 3 shots of tequila. :cheers:

LOL this thread is all about alcohol now:laughcry:

Back
Top Bottom