What's new

Metro bus in Rawalpindi soon: CM punjab

I think this is where it will finally lead too and buss service will convert to metro train. Not sure if this possible as of this point.

It should be implemented in steps as it is done all over the world.
We did a little working some time ago..

The segment of Line 5 From Koral Chowk to Airport will be at Ground Level because it is in the Approach of the airport.

ISB MRT MAP 2.jpg

The thing with BRT systems is that Affluent residents - those who have Cars - always deem it useless and very expensive.

To get an accurate account of whether or not it is successful - go and ask the daily wagers and small time workers who use that route and the students.

If they say it has made their life simpler, then the system is successful, else not.
Same thing in Delhi as well. Those in cars say its horrible, those in the buses say its made things better.

you have hit the nail on the head,.

These nay-syaers need to come to Karachi and use the bus/wagon based transportation instead of driving around in the car.

Believe me a good mass transit system even like BRT is badly needed in karachi

But our leader mota chor bhatta khor is enjoying tube system of London. Why does he care?

Why the forking he would care.

The CAA objected that an elevated track for such a Metrobus will impair flight operations from BB International.
However, who cares if aircraft strike the elevated track some years down the line.

I can not imagine how an elevated Metro track can interfere with flight ops. If that were the case, Atlanta's MARTA would never approach Atlanta Hartsfield airport. I wish you would provide the reference so that I may know which Einstein or Sherlock came up with this

It only covers small part of Lahore and was way overpriced Project. I have not heard positive feedback from Lahore residents.

Sorry to disagree sir. Judging by the number of people who willingly stuff themselves into Metro buses, the project is a success. For a route which includes more than a third on elevated track (there was no other way), the price is not bad at all. As for covering a small part of Lahore, sir, this is just the first stage.

The thing with BRT systems is that Affluent residents - those who have Cars - always deem it useless and very expensive.

To get an accurate account of whether or not it is successful - go and ask the daily wagers and small time workers who use that route and the students.

If they say it has made their life simpler, then the system is successful, else not.
Same thing in Delhi as well. Those in cars say its horrible, those in the buses say its made things better.

Thats exactly the attitude. Those who have cars would in fact become happier in the case of roads being widened to have multiple lanes.

A question to ponder.

South Asian cities: ‘If 40% of Lahore walks, why change it just for the car drivers?’ – The Express Tribune

Last edited:
The CAA objected that an elevated track for such a Metrobus will impair flight operations from BB International.
However, who cares if aircraft strike the elevated track some years down the line.
I can not imagine how an elevated Metro track can interfere with flight ops. If that were the case, Atlanta's MARTA would never approach Atlanta Hartsfield airport. I wish you would provide the reference so that I may know which Einstein or Sherlock came up with this
You folks would be interested to know one more fact then. The civil aviation rules of both India and Pakistan were last redeveloped/changed in the 1970's.
In consonance with that, they framed guidelines based on the then available technology due to which there are ridiculous restrictions around the airports and their approaches.
For example where there could be 15 floor buildings around some route, the current rules only permit 4 floor ones.

This again is being changed in India now, GAGAN is an initiative which among other things (airspace management) would also lead to approach route and height management for airports throughout India.

Apologies to give the examples of India, but they are most relevant to Pakistan having similar bureaucracies and the attitude of the people - and I know an excruciating amount on related to development/developmental activities of India.

So the crux - no the airplanes will not strike the elevated track anytime. They would unlikely be even close together.
What this will most likely result in is that Pakistani CAA would modify its rules to reflect today's aircraft requirements.

Thats exactly the attitude. Those who have cars would in fact become happier in the case of roads being widened to have multiple lanes on it.

A question to ponder.

South Asian cities: ‘If 40% of Lahore walks, why change it just for the car drivers?’ – The Express Tribune
Very correct. One of the many problems we are also dealing with.
Tokyo is an inspiration in transport department.
They have amazingly well built and very wide, functional pedestrian and cycle routes all over the city along with metro(train) systems built throughout.
I think the only city trying to emulate this now is Beijing.

Last edited:
@Contrarian , thanks for your input.

I appreciate your examples from India. At PDF, since we have a large number of posters from India, that is why it is important to keep focus on Pakistan and its defense. Otherwise it might become an Indian forum. I appreciate your sensitivity in this regard.

I hope we get to a stage where relations between our two countries would become normal. I wish I could meet many of Indian posters like yourself, and invite them over to Lahore.

I appreciate your examples from India. At PDF, since we have a large number of posters from India, that is why it is important to keep focus on Pakistan and its defense. Otherwise it might become an Indian forum. I appreciate your sensitivity in this regard.
Well examples from India on developmental issues are most relevant to Pakistan for multiple reasons:
1. Similarity of laws.
2. Extreme Similarity of bureacuracy/bureaucratic attitude.
3. Extreme Similarity of social behaviour of public
4. Extreme similarity of environment - physical and political

An example would be that we are the first country in South Asia/Southern Asia to have a wide Metro system and multiple Metro's running. We had to learn from the Japanese and Koreans and import their technology initially. This did not work out for us as the technology and devices manufactured were for Japanese/Korean/Chinese physical environment.

In our environment with extreme dust/pollution and (over)population, their technology simply did not work. It broke down. We had to make changes in almost everything - and this trial and error took years and a lot of money.

Now if say Pakistan's decides to put up a Metro system in a few years, if they learn from India, they can avoid the massive cost and time issues that they would face if they do it from Japan/Korea/China. This would work out great for Pakistan.

This example extends to most of the things in developmental sector. So here, analogies from India are quire relevant and are possibly lead indicators of the problems Pakistan may face. Learn from Other's mistakes and successes as they say.

Last edited:
I can not imagine how an elevated Metro track can interfere with flight ops. If that were the case, Atlanta's MARTA would never approach Atlanta Hartsfield airport. I wish you would provide the reference so that I may know which Einstein or Sherlock came up with this.
Metro bus service: Pindi admin takes first steps towards bus project – The Express Tribune

Oddly, no official from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) had been invited to the meeting despite the fact it had expressed apprehensions about the proposed project. The CAA is concerned primarily by the risk to flights from Benazir Bhutto International Hospital due to the height of the proposed flyover at Chandi Chowk.

The commissioner, however, said that the height of the parallel flyover at Chandni Chowk would be kept low enough to avoid obstructing air traffic.

When contacted, CAA Spokesman Mubarik Shah said that so far the Rawalpindi administration has not contacted them for getting the no-objection certificate (NOC). “The project is still at an early phase. I think, they will contact us about the NOC at a later stage,” he said.

Punjab cabinet approves Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project

Punjab Cabinet has on Saturday given formal approval to 23.2-km long Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project at the cost of Rs 38 billion and the foundation stone of this project will be laid on February 28. It also gave approval to Multan and Faisalabad metro bus projects, which would be started by the end of current year. Also, the process of computerisation of land record under Punjab Land Record Management Information System in 36 districts of the province would be completed by December 2014.

This was decided in a meeting of Punjab Cabinet, held under the chairmanship of Punjab Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif, disclosed an official. Provincial ministers, advisors, special assistants, Punjab Chief Secretary, Inspector General Police Punjab, secretaries concerned and senior officials were present.

Speaking on the occasion, the Chief Minister said after success of metro bus project in Lahore, the Punjab government has decided to launch metro bus service in three major cities of the province, including Multan, Faisalabad and Rawalpindi. He said Rawalpindi-Islamabad project would be completed in 11 months while those in Multan and Faisalabad would be executed in a period of ten months. "Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project would start from Flashman Hotel and go up to Islamabad Secretariat. The 8.6-km long route of metro bus in Rawalpindi would be elevated while 14.6-km route in Islamabad would be at grade. The project would cost a total amount of Rs 38 billion and more than 150 million people would avail comfortable economical and speedy transport facilities daily. Sixty metro buses would ply on the route of Rawalpindi-Islamabad," he added.

He said the Rawalpindi-Islamabad project would be completed speedily, transparently and within the timeframe. He directed that effective planning be made for maintaining the flow of traffic during the execution of Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project and special attention be paid to the convenience of the people. He further directed that the process of acquisition of land be completed in a transparent manner.

He issued instructions for formation of a committee under the chairmanship of the Punjab Chief Secretary and directed that the committee should supervise the process of acquisition of land and payment of compensation by visiting Rawalpindi twice a month. "Work would be carried out round the clock for the completion of the project within stipulated period. Metro bus projects in Multan and Faisalabad would be constructed on the pattern of metro system of Dubai and started during the current year," he added.

On Land Record Management Information System (LRMIS), he said it is of vital importance and would rid the people of corrupt patwari culture. He said this system will result in provision of ownership deeds to the citizens within 50 minutes. He also said the process of land record computerisation would be completed in 24 districts of the province by June 2014 and the remaining 12 by December 2014.
The meeting also gave approval to Punjab Free and Compulsory Education Bill 2013 and annual report of Punjab Public Service Commission for year 2012. Commissioner Rawalpindi gave a briefing on Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project, Chairman Planning and Development on Land Record Management Information System and Additional Chief Secretary Energy on coal-fire electricity project.

Punjab cabinet approves Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project | Business Recorder

Punjab cabinet approves Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project

"Rawalpindi-Islamabad metro bus project would start from Flashman Hotel and go up to Islamabad Secretariat. The 8.6-km long route of metro bus in Rawalpindi would be elevated while 14.6-km route in Islamabad would be at grade. The project would cost a total amount of Rs 38 billion and more than 150 million people would avail comfortable economical and speedy transport facilities daily. Sixty metro buses would ply on the route of Rawalpindi-Islamabad," he added.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Back
Top Bottom