What's new

Meteor missile has a range of 200 km says Germany military

Nothing beats the air launched Aim54 Phoenix and its Iranian twin Fakour-90 A2A missile. Effective range almost 190 KM. Kill zone close to 150 KM.
These missiles don't need the launching platform to track the target.
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Obsolete system
If an American or a Russian aviationist said this, then i would have taken it seriously. But man, an Indian? What makes you say that?
The only platform that could outperform them is the latest generation of Aim-120 and that its D/X series deployed on F-22s.

A couple of months back range of PL-15 was revealed to be 145 km.

and the meteor's manufacturer says its range is merely a little over 100kms on their own official website:
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.58.17 PM-1.png

read it for yourself, right off of the original manufacturer's website.

Last edited:
and the meteor's manufacturer says its range is merely a little over 100kms on their own official website:
View attachment 810000
read it for yourself, right off of the original manufacturer's website.
It says 100+
200 km is also a 100+ km category range.

Anyways SAAB only manufactures the radar proximty fuse of meteor whereas Gemenay makes the main deal. i.e the ramjet motor and proulsion fuel so it makes the official German claim as more credible.

And just like the video game, it's pure fantasy.

The Rafale is fantastic, no doubt, but unless it's deployed in sufficient numbers, it's just another fighter.

Even if it has sufficient numbers, it would still be no match for the J-20. The tech gap between a 4th and 5th gen is night and day.

where has been J-20 battle tested...... Like Most of the Chinese stuff ... it looks awesome on papers...yet to undergo real test

It says 100+
200 km is also a 100+ km category range.

Anyways SAAB only manufactures the radar proximty fuse of meteor whereas Gemenay makes the main deal. i.e the ramjet motor and proulsion fuel so it makes the official German claim as more credible.
in the real world, "100+" means 100 and some change, not 100 x 2. but yeah, I know I know I get it, in the sanghi world, 100+ meanj 1 thoujund kilametarrrrj, whatever rocks your boat. ;)

and saab is none the less one of the major partners with the mbda corporation, so them mentioning the range in their official website carries a lot of weight since neither mbda nor any of its subcontractors have disclosed the actual range. furthermore, as worried as the usnavy is about the range of the PL15 (and PL21), if meteor would've held any promise against them, america would've happily integrated the meteor with its carrier borne fighters including the f35 but it didn't. face it, meteor is not gonna bail you out. by the time your rafale gets ready to launch the meteor, it'll already be stuck in the PL15's NEZ. but hey, don't let me wake you up, keep drifting in your lil sanghi lala land. ;)

Last edited:
where has been J-20 battle tested...... Like Most of the Chinese stuff ... it looks awesome on papers...yet to undergo real test
Going by that logic most of the military equipment is not battle tested.
For export version yes, however Pakistan is getting PLAAF version.

Export variant is 145km. Actual variant which the PAF is getting will be the same one the PLAAF is getting. That being 170-200km+

Technically up to date

In addition to the successful multinational cooperation, the Meteor is also technically very innovative. While common guided missiles only use a rocket booster as a drive, Meteor only needs it initially to reach supersonic speed. "After that, the drive works similarly to a turbine, but without moving parts: the air flowing in is compressed by an air inlet before it enters the combustion chamber, so it does not require a mechanical compressor." Range increase with high reliability.

An MBDA Meoteor air-to-air missile lies on a loading rack.
The modern air-to-air guided missile Meteor flies controllably at up to four times the speed of sound and has a range of up to 200 kilometers

Shoot earlier, hit better
Modern air combat has little to do with the representation in film and television: It is possible, but not realistic, that two fighter planes chase each other in sharp maneuvers a few hundred meters away. Rather, it is a long-range battle. "So it is important to be able to fire the rocket as early as possible, which then flies to its target independently." This principle, also known as " Fire and Forget" , ensures that the carrier aircraft can already turn away and pursue the next order and at the same time removed from the range of the enemy aircraft. "So you try to identify possible enemy aircraft at an early stage in order to surpass their protection systems but also the capabilities of their armament."

200 km range... Whats the range of radar of rafael for a fighter size as small as thunder f 16 or j10?

Furthermore 200 km could be possibly an absolute maximum range but question is at what speed? What height ? What relative height of the target? There r so many variables that we dont even know about ...

Stop d*** measuring contest as we have seen similar contest with MKIs as well and the end result was that your MKIs and mirages fled they couldnt even stop 50 years old mirages 3 and 5 from hitting backyard of your military headquarters

Last edited:
Going by that logic most of the military equipment is not battle tested.

Yes, it's true for most of the Chinese military equipment. whereas Rafael has been in Syria, Mali, Iraq.....

Yes, it's true for most of the Chinese military equipment. whereas Rafael has been in Syria, Mali, Iraq.....
Pray tell me against exactly who? Did they face F16s, Eurofighters, Su35 or any other plane?

Rafales armed with Meteor missiles reminds me of Dragonborn from Skyrim equipped with the Dragonrend shout (thu'um).
J-20, JF-17, F-16, J-10 are the dragons in Skyrim who the Dragonborn kills and then devours their souls.
This mediocrity should not be the level here on a decent forum. There is so much detail in this forum and these kind of topics have been discussed at length. You need to wake up to the reality, I don't know what you Indians get by fantasizing about Rafaels and Meteors most of your population is still suffering from poverty. There will be no dragons or Thu'um for the masses that only exists in cheap bollywood films.

Back
Top Bottom