What's new

Memorial held for WWII naval strategist Yamamoto

he would be a war criminal, if not assassinated.

I don't see any good of memorizing a war criminal like Hitler.

he know first hand if Japanese can't outgun the American in long run games, but he still proceed the attacks of Hawaii although he is reluctantly to do so at first. Why not do a coup instead? bring and execute the war against America and combination of British Empire, Netherlands Indies, Canada, Australia, South African at a time is a foolish yet daring adventure...

he know first hand if Japanese can't outgun the American in long run games, but he still proceed the attacks of Hawaii although he is reluctantly to do so at first. Why not do a coup instead? bring and execute the war against America and combination of British Empire, Netherlands Indies, Canada, Australia, South African at a time is a foolish yet daring adventure...
Right. He should flee out of JP and accuse the stupid Emperor for making the war crime, and the world will thanks him for making the right decision :)

Yamamoto was a legitimate military target. He was not assassinated.

We do not legally prosecute snipers when they specifically targeted individuals vital to the war making capabilities of the enemy, and those capabilities includes the intellect and charisma of an army's leadership and Yamamoto had the intellect and plenty of charisma in the Japanese military.

I'm ok with this. Invasion of China, may have been wrong, devastating, and many things, but just that by itself is no different than any other invasion. I'm ok with this, however terrible it is.

What I have a problem is yasukuni shrine that houses CRIMINALS like Doihara, Iwane Matsui, and more. These guys didn't conduct warfare, they were committing genocide.

This I believe is done in extreme bad taste, and poor judgement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/w...e-minister-sends-gift-to-yasukuni-shrine.html

Overall, I'm ok with Yamamoto.

There would be an outrage in Germany and Europe if one were to be held for Rommel.

Why should there be an outrage if Germans held a ceremony for Field Marshall Erwin Rommel? The man was a military genius, and respected not only in Gernany but even in Allied lines. Rommel was a man of principle. Much like the late Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku.

This is more the equivalent of memorials for Rommel/Guderian/von Manstein. I don't see this as Yasukuni-level depravity.

Agreed. In life, Yamamoto was hated by Tojo and the prominent members of the Imperial Supreme War Command such as Prince Kon'in, Baron Sugiyama, Baron Itagaki, Baron Korechika, all of whom were powerful members.

Yamamoto, a graduate of Tokyo Imperial University and Harvard University, was a man of international culture and he had a modicum of pride in the United States as well as respect for the Western military establishment, especially the British Royal Navy. He was also a man that believed in the power of diplomacy.

These qualities was the reason why he lambasted Sugiyama for his principal actions in orchestrating the Manchurian incidident , and was one of the leading military opposition to the War in China in 1931. He was absolutely incensed as with a number of Japanese Military Officers for the decision to invade Mainland China. He was censored multiple times in various meetings with the Imperial Supreme Military Command.

I know that he was hated deeply by Tojo, who actually wanted him dead. The late Admiral, too, did not share positive feelings for Tojo.

In that aspect I find great semblance between Rommel and Yamamoto.

I'm ok with this. Invasion of China, may have been wrong, devastating, and many things, but just that by itself is no different than any other invasion. I'm ok with this, however terrible it is.

What I have a problem is yasukuni shrine that houses CRIMINALS like Doihara, Iwane Matsui, and more. These guys didn't conduct warfare, they were committing genocide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/w...e-minister-sends-gift-to-yasukuni-shrine.html

The Admiral would have never talked to those men you listed. He openly criticized the highest ranking members of the Imperial Supreme Military Command, and leaders of the Imperial Army. You think he would even give the light of day for those men you listed?

They were beneath his moral caliber.

Why should there be an outrage if Germans held a ceremony for Field Marshall Erwin Rommel? The man was a military genius, and respected not only in Gernany but even in Allied lines. Rommel was a man of principle. Much like the late Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku.

He would have faced a trial at the Nuremburg and be executed like Goerring, Nazis are a taboo. Same reason there are alarm bells across Asia when your PM visits a shrine...

I am wondering why the 'shame culture' doesn't work in the international community for Japanese even in a peace context regarding to those criminals.

Morally, I think it is not approriate.

Weird, it's just weird.

He is a respectable career naval admiral, his brilliance in profession shall be be overshadowed by his country's strategic mistake.
But I questioned why a brilliant admiral would draw the US into the conflict?

I second that, Ariana, and I personally wouldn't mind if a ceremony in honour of Rommel were to be held, either, as he was well-respected by his adversaries. You lot remember what Churchill wrote about him?

By the same token it would surely be controversial if memorials dedicated to Wehrmacht war criminals, such as Model, von Rundstedt, Kesselring, Dostler etc. were held comparable to the generals/officers Ariana mentioned. Just my two pennies worth.

But I questioned why a brilliant admiral would draw the US into the conflict?

No matter how good is his professional talent or skills in naval combat, he is just a career admiral taking orders from politicians in Tokyo. He was against the foolish political decision to drag Japan into a two-front war. Yes he pulled the trigger against his will, because he had to obey orders.

That's why I respect him for (1) Talent in profession (2) Wisdom in seeing the big picture (3) Courage to voice out opinions against authorities (4) Loyalty to his country.

He is a man of noble qualities.

Last edited:
Has Yamamoto written any personal account, diary or book on his days in the IJN? He was a daring & cunning commander no less, it would be interesting to read the mnd of such great figure in IJN history.

Back
Top Bottom