What's new

Mehran Bank Scandal~ SC petition

and General Retired Aslam bain apologizes unconditionally to the SC for contemptuous remarks in court...

kuttay ki dum, terri ki terri ... :lol:

but nonetheless, khuttay retard general lal baig ko SC nay maat tou di...:tup:

and General Retired Aslam bain apologizes unconditionally to the SC for contemptuous remarks in court...

kuttay ki dum, terri ki terri ... :lol:

but nonetheless, khuttay retard general lal baig ko SC nay maat tou di...:tup:

yep good move court deciplined the dimagh kharab bloody general in a minute , its near time for these guys to resume full power to civilans and treat them like masters ...

Its reallY horible to see media, playing & taking part in the politics but they never, show a singal journalist who took ,plots & money from politicians,& from genrls, crouption is & was evrywhere in our nation,but this whole episode of chowdry insaaf will taKe us where?
Will tHis commision , is going to declare some1 gullty?
I think no one, those in politics , in the govt, or in the opposition, will keep winning elections?
We must take out this crazy. System of. Democrazy,& should move forward towards a clear socalist system bassed on islamic dynamics!!!

yep good move court deciplined the dimagh kharab bloody general in a minute , its near time for these guys to resume full power to civilans and treat them like masters ...

sooner the better #CivilSupremacy

Givers and takers of money both responsible: CJ

ISLAMABAD: Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry on Friday said that those who had distributed money and those who had received the money in the Mehrangate scandal were equally responsible, adding that the allegations would have to be proven.

Former army chief Mirza Aslam Beg on Friday apologised for using contemptuous language in the counter-affidavit in which he had claimed to have completed a ‘hat trick’ of appearing before the Supreme Court.

Chief Justice Chaudhry took strong exception to the language used by the former army chief in the counter-affidavit filed in response to the affidavit filed by Younis Habib, former Mehran Bank president.

In his counter-affidavit, Mirza Aslam Beg, in para 14, contended to have completed his hat trick of appearing before the court, an honour that no other army chief could possibly claim. “I sincerely thank this honourable court for making me complete my hat trick of appearing before the apex court. The first time I appeared before Chief Justice M Afzal Zullah, second time before Chief Justice Sajjad Ali Shah and now before this honourable court under the dynamic leadership of Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry,” Aslam Beg said in the affidavit. “And yet, I wonder ‘Janay kis jurm ki pai hai saza yad nahin’ (why I am being punished, I know not),” he added.

The court took serious exception to what it declared contemptuous language and asked the former army chief to tender a written apology.

Mirza Aslam Beg submittedcounsel Muhammad Akram Sheikh before a three-member bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry hearing a plea moved by Air Marshal (R) Asghar Khan in 1996 regarding the alleged disbursement of money among anti-PPP politicians through the ISI.

The chief justice admonished Muhammad Akram Sheikh, counsel for Mirza Aslam Beg, upon his failure to properly guide his client on filing the affidavit. “Why did you fail to ask your client not to reply in such a contemptuous manner?” the chief justice admonished Akram Sheikh, saying the language used by Aslam Beg was contemptuous and could not be allowed. “Do you think such language could be used for the court,” Justice Iftikhar asked Akrami Shiekh, asking that his client come to the rostrum and tender a written apology and expunge para 14 of his affidavit.

“Give us a written apology right now otherwise we will take action against your client,” the Chief Justice told Akram Sheikh. Akram Sheikh then asked Aslam Beg, who was present in the courtroom, to come to the rostrum and tender a written apology before the court, which the former army chief did. “With reference to my affidavit in response to the affidavit of Younus Habib I sincerely apologise for the contents of para 14 of my affidavit, and submit that it may be deleted and not considered part of my affidavit,” Aslam Beg said in his written apology.

The court accepted the unconditional apology of Aslam Beg along with the request to delete the paragraph from his counter affidavit. Earlier during the hearing, when the court drew the attention of Akram Sheikh towards para 14 of the affidavit, Akram Sheikh stated that it was to be read in the context of other paragraphs as according to him, his client was being maligned at the behest of the Pakistan People’s Party government.

During the hearing, Lt Gen (R) Asad Durrani, former DG ISI, submitted under oath that he received instruction from then army chief Mirza Aslam Beg that a certain business community in Karachi had raised some contribution to support the election campaign of the IJI and “If I could arrange for it to be distributed as per the formulas, that would be conveyed to me by the election cell in the president’s office.”

He added that he already stated that there was no political cell in the ISI but that political work could be done by some designated persons. “In 1994 I was not aware of the Mehran Bank scandal, but as I was asked only to provide details of the money amounting to Rs140 million spent in the election, therefore, I never tried to learn under whose instructions the said amount was collected from the business community of Karachi. I do not recall whether I was cross-examined in camera or not.”

Muhammad Akram Sheikh said from day one his point of view was that this case was absolutely based upon disputed facts. Under instructions, he said, he was of the opinion that a political cell was created under an administrative instrument/executive order passed by the late Zulfikqar Ali Bhutto by means of an SRO issued in the year of 1975. “The existence of such a political cell is unwarranted and is an interference in the fundamental rights of the people of Pakistan, guaranteed under Article 17 and this court could declare that no such political cell be allowed to continue in the security agencies,” Akram Sheikh said.

He contended: “I have further argued that the petitioner, Asghar Khan, also confined himself to the extent of existence of the political cell in ISI as is evident from his letters addressed to this court, available at pages 268, dated April 17, 1998; 273 dated January 30, 1999 and 289, dated November 9, 1999, respectively”.

Salman Akram Raja, counsel for the petitioner, stated that his client had sought relief for direction that all persons, including defence/army Officers, who were respondents, who acted so as to interfere with and manoeuvre the electoral process in any manner, including through disbursement of funds, had subverted the constitution. He further recalled that the petitioner had prayed for direction to the federation to initiate appropriate proceedings under criminal and election laws against the alleged givers and recipients of funds for political purposes, including the respondents and the various persons named in Lt Gen(R) Durrani’s letter to the premier dated June 7, 1994 and affidavit dated July 24, 1994.

Younus Habib, while appearing before the court, submitted that he did not want to add anything further except the statement, which he had already filed/given before this court. The court directed Attorney General Maulvi Anwarul Haq to inquire from the federal government whether commission reports regarding Mehran Bank and Habib Bank had been made public and if not, reasons should be assigned and the said reports should be made available for court perusal in camera.

The attorney general said he would submit an application for permission to go through the cross-examination of the affidavits of Lt Gen(R) Asad Durrani and Maj Gen(R) Nasirullah Khan Babar and thereafter would assist the court whether such proceedings could be considered classified by the state or if the courts could declare them declassified.

The court directed its office to hand over photocopies of the affidavits filed by Asad Durrani and Younus Habib as well as counter affidavit submitted by Mirza Aslam Baig along with authentic copies of the orders sheet, to the attorney general during course of the day.

Later, the court adjourned the hearing till March 14. Mirza Aslam Beg in his counter affidavit denied the contents of the affidavit submitted by Younus Habib. In his counter affidavit, he said Younus Habib had tried to malign him and former president Ghulam Ishaq Khan and several others in this sordid game of mixing politics with justice, with the sordid intent to obstruct the wheel of justice.

He said in response to the allegations of Habib, a self condemned perjurer, he considered it proper to bring on record for the kind attention of the court, the disappearance of the statements of General (R) Asad Durrani and Maj General (R) Naseerullah Khan Babar recorded by this court in camera but not yet found. “This fact supports the respondent’s apprehension that the vested interests, which carry the legacy of the vendetta of the lady Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto against the respondent for allegedly causing the fall of her government in 1990, continue to haunt him and endeavour to interfere with even the record of this august court,” Aslam Beg said.

The former army chief further said in the earlier statement quoted to have been made by Younus Habib, there was no mention of Rs1,800 million and other allegations that “He talked about now and claims that he was directed to produce this amount by hook or by crook.”

He submitted Habib had tried to develop a new story to cover up his own crimes of having siphoned of Rs1,800 million from Habib Bank/Mehran Bank for which he was prosecuted, jailed and made to pay almost double the amount of over Rs3 billion. “Thus, politics and crime mingled together to create space for denial of justice,” he added.

“I find myself handicapped in properly replying to the affidavit filed by Younus Habib without having in hand the report of Mehran Bank Scandal Commission and Habib Bank Scandal Commission,” Aslam Beg submitted.

He requested the court to direct the present incumbent PPP government to supply him a copy of the report so that he might submit his detailed response to what he called malicious, prompted and absolutely false allegations.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

I was pleased to discover that some patriotic politicians like MQM's were NOT involved!

Money was distributed among Altaf, Nawaz, Shahbaz: Younis Habib | The News Tribe

:no:

‘Yousuf Advocate didn’t deliver money to Altaf Hussain’

Habib, in an exclusive interview with Express News said that Rs20 million which were handed to Yousuf Advocate to be sent to Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain, were not delivered.
Habib said that Advocate had embezzled the money.

MQM celebrates after Col Akbar’s statement

As reports that Hussain did not take money in the Mehrangate scandal surfaced, MQM called for celebrations throughout its units present in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur and Nawabshah.
The party’s coordination committee said that the explanatory statement given in the case razed all the allegations against him. The committee also said that the elements which are conspiring against Hussain were trying to mislead the masses by alleging that Hussain received money from ISI.
However, after Colonel (retd) Akbar said in an interview that in his presence, Brigadier Hamid tried to persuade Hussain to take money, but the latter refused.

:no:

‘Yousuf Advocate didn’t deliver money to Altaf Hussain’

Habib, in an exclusive interview with Express News said that Rs20 million which were handed to Yousuf Advocate to be sent to Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain, were not delivered.
Habib said that Advocate had embezzled the money.

MQM celebrates after Col Akbar’s statement

As reports that Hussain did not take money in the Mehrangate scandal surfaced, MQM called for celebrations throughout its units present in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur and Nawabshah.
The party’s coordination committee said that the explanatory statement given in the case razed all the allegations against him. The committee also said that the elements which are conspiring against Hussain were trying to mislead the masses by alleging that Hussain received money from ISI.
However, after Colonel (retd) Akbar said in an interview that in his presence, Brigadier Hamid tried to persuade Hussain to take money, but the latter refused.

There must be an investigation.

is hamam main sub he nage ho ja hain ge
interested case in the history of man
soon we see many media persons who took money
this case also gives benefit to ppp
the point is that where is man of asool
mian nawaz Sharif he did not denied the allegations

20 years and no corruption proven against zardari shall i believe that too if i am to believe that altaf bhai is a saint?

20 years and no corruption proven against zardari shall i believe that too if i am to believe that altaf bhai is a saint?

Nobody is siant here, not Altaf hussain and neither imran khan or anyone else, what is required here is that if sumone had recieved money in the past shud call a press confrence and say sorry to the nation its as simple as that, everybody make mistakes but genuine people r those who accept thier mistakes and ask forgiveness from people.

Nobody is siant here, not Altaf hussain and neither imran khan or anyone else, what is required here is that if sumone had recieved money in the past shud call a press confrence and say sorry to the nation its as simple as that, everybody make mistakes but genuine people r those who accept thier mistakes and ask forgiveness from people.

sorry brother in our nation no minister ever resigns and apologizes!!!

in the west and even in the east if a train has an accident the minister resigns firstly due to his conscious!!! in our nation the minister says was a driving the train why should i resign!

APOLOGY & RESIGNATIONS will not happen in pakistan until we keep electing the same rotten people!

sorry brother in our nation no minister ever resigns and apologizes!!!

in the west and even in the east if a train has an accident the minister resigns firstly due to his conscious!!! in our nation the minister says was a driving the train why should i resign!

APOLOGY & RESIGNATIONS will not happen in pakistan until we keep electing the same rotten people!

Then iam afraid nothing is gonna change.

Mehrangate: Durrani, Babar in-camera statements to be declassified

By Web Desk / Azam Khan
Published: March 14, 2012

Attorney general tells court there is no harm in publicising statements of former ISI chief, former interior minister.

ISLAMABAD: The Attorney General of Pakistan told the Supreme Court on Wednesday that there was no problem in declassifying the in-camera statements of former Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) chief Asad Durrani and former Interior Minister Major Gen (retd) Naseerullah Khan Babar.

Durrani and Babar had recorded their statements during the hearing of Air Marshal (retd) Asghar Khan’s petition in 1999. The Supreme Court hearing the Mehrangate scandal said that a written order to make the report public will be passed during the next hearing.
Attorney General Maulvi Anwarul Haq told the court that there was no issue in declassifying the statements as many things were already public.
However, the court expressed discontentment with the attorney general for not producing the former inquiry commission reports regarding Mehran Bank and Habib Bank.

The attorney general, on failing to produce the documents, told the court that they could not be retrieved as the interior secretary was currently on a foreign trip and the law ministry does not have them either. Responding to which, the Supreme Court sarcastically remarked whether the interior secretary carries the reports in his pockets. :lol:
The attorney general sought more time from the court to present the documents.
Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, heading the three-member bench, remarked that the agencies were not working within their mandate. :butcher:
During the hearing, Durrani told the court that there were elements outside the ISI who were appointed for the task of distributing money. The chief justice replied that Durrani was holding office at the time when the money was being distributed, how could he deny the involvement of the ISI. :thank_you2:
Former chief of Mehran Bank Younis Habib submitted an application in the Supreme Court for the recovery of the money allegedly distributed by the ISI to various politicians in 1990.
In the application, Habib requested that a judicial commission be established for the recovery of the money, while the task can also be assigned to National Accountability Bureau (NAB) which is currently looking into the matter. :pop:
SC takes notice of The Express Tribune’s story
The Supreme Court took notice of a news story published in The Express Tribune on Wednesday (Misappropriation: Govt withdrew millions from Intelligence Bureau’s account) claiming that classified documents have revealed that the Pakistan Peoples Party withdrawing Rs270 million from the secret fund of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) – allegedly for pushing its political agenda in Punjab. :sick:
The chief justice, while remarking that The Express Tribune is a credible newspaper said that their news would not be inaccurate. He ordered the attorney general to contact the editor, publisher and reporter to assist the court with the hearing and provide the classified documents.
The hearing of the case was adjourned till March 30.
In the previous hearing, the chief justice had asked the attorney general to inquire from the federal government whether the reports were made public or not. If not, the reports should be made available for the court’s use in-camera, the chief justice had said.
The Mehrangate scandal emerged after the Supreme Court began the hearing of air marshal Asghar Khan’s 20-year-old petition in which he stated that the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) rigged the 1990 elections by handing out money to several politicians.
Former chief of Mehran Bank Younis Habib appeared before the Supreme Court and had admitted of handing out Rs140 million to various politicians.

There must be an investigation.

Well its a hearing accusing all , i hope every name comes to light .. Pakistanis should know how their money is used by dud generals and agencies as a pay out for magarmaches

Coming home to roost

By Saroop Ijaz
Published: March 17, 2012

The writer is a lawyer and partner at Ijaz and Ijaz Co in Lahore saroop.ijaz@tribune.com.pk
“…nobody who felt shocked, depressed or angry after reading the edited White House transcripts should ever be allowed to hear the actual tapes, except under heavy sedation or locked in the trunk of a car. Only a terminal cynic, they say, can listen for any length of time to the real stuff without feeling a compulsion to do something like drive down to the White House and throw a bag of live rats over the fence.” These were reportedly the words of Hunter S Thompson on the occasion of the discovery of the Watergate tapes. I can pretend that we are this enraged by the Mehran Bank Scandal, but I will have to pretend real hard, but then all of us should be. Our subdued anger can be attributed to the fact that most of us knew this for some time, still the “real stuff” is fairly jolting and spares us nothing, and it is in short the stuff to get livid about.
Further, I can still maintain that while it is a good thing that the matter has been taken up but why did it take this long, and in any event it is nothing special, the Courts are supposed to hear matters pending for more than fifteen years, but again I know I will be protesting too much. It is indeed extraordinary and the cynicism can be momentarily put at rest, to extend the Supreme Court a genuine congratulation, a rarity in recent times. While we are at it, also dip our flag and salute the old yet indefatigable lion, Asghar Khan.
Once one gets past the minor irritation of the almost universal habit of mercilessly plugging the ‘gate’ suffix after every scandal, the realisation that the Asghar Khan hearing is truly groundbreaking is unavoidable. A former army chief and the DG-ISI coming to Court and submitting sworn affidavits of confession of bribing and rigging the election process provides some closure and an almost guilty pleasure, even if we knew all along that something like this happened and perhaps happens. The most grotesque feature of the episode is the tactlessness of our ‘commandos’ and politicians, there are no subtle promises or sophisticated indirect campaign donations. It is the crudest, most stereotypical form of petty corruption, direct cash payments.
The episode should also put an end to a vague, rather witless notion that though the ‘Generals’ might undertake some enterprises which are not strictly legal, but their patriotism should not be doubted, heart in the right place and similar clap trap. They evidently behave like the most crooked of mafia bosses, at least those in question did.
The case of the Generals is simple, there is a confession on record and a remorseless admission of deliberately breaching their constitutional oath and hence, they should stand the necessary trial and be sentenced. There is irony lurking somewhere in their feeble defence that they were merely carrying orders handed down by the now deceased Ghulam Ishaq Khan, I am not sure if they are aware that this is identical to the plea taken by the Nazi officials in the Nuremberg trials. In any event, if General (Retd) Aslam Beg is fit enough to come on television and spin the most fantastic of conspiracy theories, I am sure he will manage to survive a trial and hopefully a prison term.
It is easy to get detracted by the pleasure derived from possibly viewing the spectacle of the Generals going to prison and miss the bigger picture. The Supreme Court has displayed a fondness for looking at the ‘holistic’ picture and one hopes it continues in the same vein. Not only should the guilty Generals be incarcerated, but also the question asked is there a political cell of the ISI now? If yes, under what authority is it constituted or does the ISI still undertake any activity which is political? If not, when was it disbanded, and if a record has been maintained, which it would have been, that should be declassified. A gentle notice to the new DG-ISI to explain the agency’s position, of course, along with a warm and fuzzy welcome, might be in order.
The most startling thing on the political front is that the PML-N has suddenly lost all its zeal for the formation of high powered fact finding commissions. Perhaps Mian Nawaz Sharif does not consider this matter to be of equal significance to the ramblings of Mansoor Ijaz. The response of many PML-N representatives is evasive denial, and betrays a lack of conviction. The list submitted in court is an assorted ‘who is who’ of our politics, including some surprises. No politician has yet confessed and hence, it is slightly premature and speculative, however, it is good speculation. Separate proceedings can be initiated against the individual politicians on the basis of prima facie evidence and the allegations proved. However, one would be pleasantly surprised if someone volunteers to defend themselves in the Supreme Court if they feel they have been wrongly accused or even more pleasantly and more surprisingly confess. Here again, the guilty should be convicted for violations of Representation of Peoples Act and disbarred from politics alongside with addressing the larger issue of campaign finance. The regulations governing campaign finance are obscure, outdated and most significantly not enforced. This is an opportunity for the Court to set guidelines and perhaps urge parliament to legislate more realistic and more implementable guidelines.
Optimism is very rarely justified in Pakistan, however, equally rare are moments which mandate such almost unguarded hopefulness. My Lords, do not let this moment pass, it will be a long while before a Pakistani Court has a similar opportunity to make history, if this one is squandered. It might not solve load shedding and corruption, but seeing the mirthless, arrogant face of Gen Beg in the back of a prison wagon, will certainly make it easier to endure all of this, knowing that there is, perhaps, justice at the end of the road.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 18th, 2012.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom