What's new

meet the space liner - the most ambitious Airbus / ESA project

MarkusS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Italy
If you want fly from germany to australia it takes up to 21 hours. That is an incredible long time. And so far no real alternative is existing at the moment.

The Deutsche Luft- und Raumfahrtagentur plans to change that. They started a project called space liner. It is a hybrid between a conventional airplane and the space shuttle. The project is funded from ESA, Airbus and the german government. construction is planned in the next ten years and commercial use by 2050.

The space liner can give room for up to 50 passengers. It launches and accelerates up to 28.000 km/h. It enters space in a few minutes and goes into a parabolic orbit. It would re enter the athmosphere and land at the target destination at the airport like any normal airplane.

jet2-DW-Wissenschaft-Bremen.jpg

ILA_spaceliner.jpg

spaceliner-hypersonic.jpg

You can see here potential profitable routes for our system:

Routen_380.jpg

The space liner solves a problem that other hypersonic airplanes suffer. It enters space, so it escapes much of the friction of athmospheric flight.

It would fly from germany around the world in under 90 minutes.

flugzeug1-HA-Sport-Bremen.jpg

The basic technology was tested through the FAST20XX program, which served as basis for the entire project.

They already made the actual concept of the machine and develop the interior at the moment and integrate the heat protection system for reentry. That is the touchy part of the project, since the tiles of the space shuttle always were a sensitive subject. They also develop a version for shorter distances that can carry 100 passengers.

You can see more details about the SpaceLiner at the webcast of the DLR.

We also did a first drop and gliding test with a scale model at Airbus. The model was dropped from a 3000 meter altitude and the data collected for further improvements

airbus_defence_and_space_spaceplane_demonstrator_945.jpg

Are there two hypersonic projects going on?

There's also Airbus with it's ZEHST project. Has similar characteristics, speed, passanger capacity etc....so i'm wondering if money is being spent on two instead of joining it all in one programme.

Are there two hypersonic projects going on?

There's also Airbus with it's ZEHST project. Has similar characteristics, speed, passanger capacity etc....so i'm wondering if money is being spent on two instead of joining it all in one programme.

It is the same project. Just two design studies within the same project.

You can reach a space station with a space elevator, though that's still some way into the future...

Space-Elevator2.jpg

A space elevator is science fiction. We don´t even have the material at the moment to build it. A functional space plane is the best option we have right now

It is the same project. Just two design studies within the same project.

I'm, not so sure. Namely, what you presented is mostly two stage to orbit, rocket engine propelled, while the thing i presented is a single stage to orbit, with three different types of engines.

Although, if those guys from UK (Skylon) manage to get their air breathing rocket engine up and running (~2020 according to their own estimates) this would effectively be a jump start to hypersonic passenger/military vehicles.

I'm, not so sure. Namely, what you presented is mostly two stage to orbit, rocket engine propelled, while the thing i presented is a single stage to orbit, with three different types of engines.

Although, if those guys from UK (Skylon) manage to get their air breathing rocket engine up and running (~2020 according to their own estimates) this would effectively be a jump start to hypersonic passenger/military vehicles.

As i said, its two concepts for one project. In the end it will be build from Airbus, the better concept will win. Same was done with Concorde, which was started as "Super Caravelle" or the various conceps of the Shuttle. Its really exciting.

If you want fly from germany to australia it takes up to 21 hours. That is an incredible long time. And so far no real alternative is existing at the moment.

The Deutsche Luft- und Raumfahrtagentur plans to change that. They started a project called space liner. It is a hybrid between a conventional airplane and the space shuttle. The project is funded from ESA, Airbus and the german government. construction is planned in the next ten years and commercial use by 2050.

The space liner can give room for up to 50 passengers. It launches and accelerates up to 28.000 km/h. It enters space in a few minutes and goes into a parabolic orbit. It would re enter the athmosphere and land at the target destination at the airport like any normal airplane.

jet2-DW-Wissenschaft-Bremen.jpg

ILA_spaceliner.jpg

spaceliner-hypersonic.jpg

You can see here potential profitable routes for our system:

Routen_380.jpg

The space liner solves a problem that other hypersonic airplanes suffer. It enters space, so it escapes much of the friction of athmospheric flight.

It would fly from germany around the world in under 90 minutes.

flugzeug1-HA-Sport-Bremen.jpg

The basic technology was tested through the FAST20XX program, which served as basis for the entire project.

They already made the actual concept of the machine and develop the interior at the moment and integrate the heat protection system for reentry. That is the touchy part of the project, since the tiles of the space shuttle always were a sensitive subject. They also develop a version for shorter distances that can carry 100 passengers.

You can see more details about the SpaceLiner at the webcast of the DLR.

We also did a first drop and gliding test with a scale model at Airbus. The model was dropped from a 3000 meter altitude and the data collected for further improvements

airbus_defence_and_space_spaceplane_demonstrator_945.jpg

Impressive.

As i said, its two concepts for one project. In the end it will be build from Airbus, the better concept will win. Same was done with Concorde, which was started as "Super Caravelle" or the various conceps of the Shuttle. Its really exciting.

Either way, if anything goes wrong in the descent / landing...at least it will be quick. lol. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom