What's new

Meet the 23-year-old who single-handedly beat 7 Pakistani tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistani kids, who have little knowledge of history should not be expected to Know, who 2ndLt. Arun Khetreapal was. Especially since his legend was born in 1971 war, a war Pakistanis generally don't like to read about. Since its too painful for them. But ignorance is not be an excuse for idiocy.

Lt. Arun Khetrepal is one of the very few recipients of Indias highest Gallantry award, there is an entire wing named after him at Indian Military accade'my Dehradun.

He almost single handedly defeated an entire Pakistani tank regiment of Patton tanks. His squadron of centurian tanks took down 10 Pakistani tanks with thim.

He died fighting but he was able to blunt the Pakistani offensive, which if succeded would have severed India's road link to Kashmir.

These were the words of Brigadier Khawja Mohammad Naser ( Pakistani tank commander, who finally destroyed 2nd Lt Arun Khetrepal's tank.) too Brigadier M.L. Khetarpal's father)

Brigadier Naser said 'Sir, there is something that I wanted to tell you for many years but I did not know how to get through to you. Finally, fate has intervened and sent you to me as an honoured guest. The last few days we have become close to one another and that has made my task even more difficult. It is regarding your son who is, of course, a national hero in India. However, on that fateful day, your son and I were soldiers, unknown to one another, fighting for the respect and safety of our respective countries. I regret to tell you that your son died in my hands. Arun's courage was exemplary and he moved his tank with fearless courage and daring, totally unconcerned about his safety. Tank casualties were very high till finally there were just two of us left facing one another. We both fired simultaneously. It was destined that I was to live and he was to die.
1971 war in western front was balanced.
both sides gain almost equal land in kashmir. somewhere pakistan won somewhere india won.In fertile lands of sind and punjab pakistan army gained less but important land including ferozpor headworks. In deserts in sindh indian unlike 1965 war captured thousand of sq km of desert. India did well in barapind jarpal. but the gains were so small that even they can't be shown on map. In short it was a draw on western front.
Ferozpor headworks and sulumanki headworks were greatest achievements of the western war. for india the land captured in kashmir gave it an easy access to siachin.

about khetarpal he was 21 not 23 year old. Secondly 2 indian tanks destroyed 10 pakistani tanks. but anti tanks gun were also present and they also made some kills. Khetarpal is hero because of his last words and commitment. 7 or 10 tanks figure is little exaggerated.

On the contrary history does happen to be my forte.

Since you quoted a Russian General about Indians, I ll quote an American attorney general about Pakistanis.

Does the statement " Pakistanis would even sell their mothers for $100" ring any bells ?

If you don't want to get bogged down, in pissing battles, don't start one.!!
Ah there you go, grasping straws to salvage yourself, some Westerner also said that Indian Metro stops are called Molestation....so while talking about sinking low, try to keep your head above water since we are talking about military history and not corrupt politicians, rapes or open sewers.... i guess history didn't teach you that.

1971 war in western front was balanced.
both sides gain almost equal land in kashmir. somewhere pakistan won somewhere india won.In fertile lands of sind and punjab pakistan army gained less but important land including ferozpor headworks. In deserts in sindh indian unlike 1965 war captured thousand of sq km of desert. India did well in barapind jarpal. but the gains were so small that even they can't be shown on map. In short it was a draw on western front.
Ferozpor headworks and sulumanki headworks were greatest achievements of the western war. for india the land captured in kashmir gave it an easy access to siachin.

about khetarpal he was 21 not 23 year old. Secondly 2 indian tanks destroyed 10 pakistani tanks. but anti tanks gun were also present and they also made some kills. Khetarpal is hero because of his last words and commitment. 7 or 10 tanks figure is little exaggerated.

Indian gains were limited (with comparison to the East) in West because it ambitions were so.

India fought a totally defensive war in the West, as bulk of Indian army was deployed in the East

Where as Pakistan went on full scale offensive in the West, India not only blunted that offensive but counterattacked to make limited gains into West Pakistan.

Yes Arun khetrepal was 21 and not 23 and had been commissioned into the army only 6 months.
Reason why Arun Khetrapal is considered a hero was not because, he destroyed 7 Pakistani tanks, but because he fought alone against insurmountable odds.

In the beginning it was 14 Pakistani Patton tanks against 3 Indian centurion tanks bogged in a minefield.

Indian tanks took out 3 Pakistani tanks following which Pakistani tanks started withdrawing . 2ndLt Khetrepal followed the retreating Pakistani tanks and took out another one.

At which Pakistani tanks turned back, went on offensive against the 3 Indian tanks.'
In ensuing battle one Indian was taken out another one malfunctioned.

Lt Khertrepal was alone fighting off more than half a dozen Pakistani tanks, despite the fact his tank had taken a hit and was on fire. He fought on, till every Pakistani tank was beaten into retreat.

Score in end was off the 14 Pakistani tanks that entered the battlefield , Pakistan had lost 10 tanks and Indian had lost 2 of its 3 tanks.

Last edited:
Ah there you go, grasping straws to salvage yourself, some Westerner also said that Indian Metro stops are called Molestation....so while talking about sinking low, try to keep your head above water since we are talking about military history and not corrupt politicians, rapes or open sewers.... i guess history didn't teach you that.

And here you continue with the pissing battles instead of historical one.

As the famous German proverb goes, " don't wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it " I ll heed that wiseman's advise and I bid adieu..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom