Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Medical student Asma Rani’s murderer ‘pardoned’
Girl's father denies he acted under duress or took money

SAMAA | Siraj Khan - Posted: Aug 30, 2021 | Last Updated: 6 days ago

Medical student Asma Rani (File)

A man convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of medical student Asma Rani has been ‘pardoned’ by her father, SAMAA Digital has learnt.

Rani’s father Ghulam Dastageer says he had faced threats but he decided to pardon the killer only for the sake of Allah’s blessings after consulting with local notables and ulema.

Mujahid Afridi had gunned down Rani on January 27, 2018, in Kohat after she turned down his marriage proposal. The young prodigy had named Mujahid in her last statement recorded on the video.

Dastageer said Mujahid Afridi’s family visited him at his home and implored for pardoning the killer.

“They wronged my daughter but I have decided to pardon the culprit for the sake of Allah’s blessings,” he said.

“I was also receiving threats in connection with the case and I was also told that ‘we are in the government, so you should consent to the settlement’ but I was adamant that I will see Asma’s killer at the gallows,” Dastageer said.

He said after consulting with local notables and ulema he made the decision for the sake of Allah’s blessings and he was thankful to all the people who had supported him in the case.

Mujahid Afridi’s family and the Kohat Police confirmed that a settlement had been concluded.

The police say Dastageer pardoned the death sentence convict Mujahid Afridi at a Jirga, and the formal declaration of the settlement would be announced at the Kohat Tabligi Markaz next Sunday (on September 5).

Meanwhile, Asma Rani’s father has been accused of making the decision under duress or in exchange for money. Dastageer has rejected the claims in a video message.

Who was Asma Rani?

Asma Rani was a 3rd-year MBBS student at the Ayub Medical College Abbottabad.

Rani’s family hails from Lakki Marwat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, but they lived in Kohat.

The video statement that Rani recorded before she breathed her last went viral and led to the arrest of Mujahid who had fled to Saudi Arabia.

“Mujahid Afridi,” she clearly names the killer after repeating his first name three times.

The video caused outrage in the country.

After the murder, Mujahid Afridi fled to Saudi Arabia, where he was arrested by Interpol at the request of Pakistan. He was extradited in March 2018.

Security concerns caused officials to move the murder trial to Peshawar from Kohat after the initial few proceedings. In June 2021, a Peshawar court sentence Mujahid Afridi to death, acquitting two other accused Shahzeb and Siddiqullah.

so he openly that he was threatened and was told of consequences if he went ahead and thus he has left it in hands of Allah.

Aisa hi hota hai, does anyone remember Shahrukh Jatoi case? heck that's way too old, does anyone heard anything about that Islamabad maniac case?

bhai influence and paisa bolta hai yahan par

A man convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of medical student Asma Rani has been ‘pardoned’ by her father, SAMAA Digital has learnt.

Rani’s father Ghulam Dastageer says he had faced threats but he decided to pardon the killer only for the sake of Allah’s blessings after consulting with local notables and ulema.

Mujahid Afridi had gunned down Rani on January 27, 2018, in Kohat after she turned down his marriage proposal. The young prodigy had named Mujahid in her last statement recorded on the video.

Dastageer said Mujahid Afridi’s family visited him at his home and implored for pardoning the killer.

“They wronged my daughter but I have decided to pardon the culprit for the sake of Allah’s blessings,” he said.

“I was also receiving threats in connection with the case and I was also told that ‘we are in the government, so you should consent to the settlement’ but I was adamant that I will see Asma’s killer at the gallows,” Dastageer said.

He said after consulting with local notables and ulema he made the decision for the sake of Allah’s blessings and he was thankful to all the people who had supported him in the case.

Mujahid Afridi’s family and the Kohat Police confirmed that a settlement had been concluded.

The police say Dastageer pardoned the death sentence convict Mujahid Afridi at a Jirga, and the formal declaration of the settlement would be announced at the Kohat Tabligi Markaz next Sunday (on September 5).

Meanwhile, Asma Rani’s father has been accused of making the decision under duress or in exchange for money. Dastageer has rejected the claims in a video message.

Who was Asma Rani?

Rani’s family hails from Lakki Marwat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, but they lived in Kohat.

The video statement that Rani recorded before she breathed her last went viral and led to the arrest of Mujahid who had fled to Saudi Arabia.

“Mujahid Afridi,” she clearly names the killer after repeating his first name three times.

After the murder, Mujahid Afridi fled to Saudi Arabia, where he was arrested by Interpol at the request of Pakistan. He was extradited in March 2018.

Security concerns caused officials to move the murder trial to Peshawar from Kohat after the initial few proceedings. In June 2021, a Peshawar court sentence Mujahid Afridi to death, acquitting two other accused Shahzeb and Siddiqullah.

Government should ignore the reconciliation and carry out the sentence regardless. IK keeps on reminding us that the law is equal for all of us then why threats, collusion of so called good for nothing elders and blood money wins the day. Why our rulers and laws are ar*e, no wonder crime rate seems to on the upward trajectory. IK is just proving to the doubters he is no different then the rulers before him. All lectures and examples of China progress then grow the balls like Chinese law and order too as both are not mutually exclusive.

Why does Pakistan have such pardon laws in the 21st century?
This pretty much ensures that the high and mighty can get away with murder.

People exploiting the religion. However the one condition of Blood Libel is the other party can’t be forced, coerced or threatening or it’s nullified. In this case this agreement isn’t even valid.

People exploiting the religion. However the one condition of Blood Libel is the other party can’t be forced, coerced or threatening or it’s nullified. In this case this agreement isn’t even valid.
If you give an opening in the law, the rich will exploit. It should not be in the hands of private citizens to be able to pardon any crime. The courts should decide based on merits.

Who was Asma Rani?

Should have killed him as soon as he was sentenced, and now the father speaks about threats to him.
He may have escaped this time round, but justice will catch up with him. Such types are always gunned down, and of course when he dies he faces the ultimate judge.....

Didn't one of the Bollywood Khan's run over some homeless person a few years back...

Never saw that individual behind bars. I suppose the high & mighty have the same rules extended to them in India as well.

Why does Pakistan have such pardon laws in the 21st century?
we are still living in 1800 by justice system
yes this is how its worked you have money go kill and get away with is few years with victory sign

Didn't one of the Bollywood Khan's run over some homeless person a few years back...

Never saw that individual behind bars. I suppose the high & mighty have the same rules extended to them in India as well.
I did not say legal loopholes dont exist in India. However, once convicted by courts, the convict gets punished. Pakistan has an additional loophole where a rich convict can go scot free by bribing / threatening / emotonally blackmailing victims' relatives.

I did not say legal loopholes dont exist in India. However, once convicted by courts, the convict gets punished. Pakistan has an additional loophole where a rich convict can go scot free by bribing / threatening / emotonally blackmailing victims' relatives.
My good man. Loopholes exists in the Legal System all over the World. For someone living in the US, I would've assumed you'd be aware of that.

A convict sentenced to death by Lethal Injection can be pardoned by the Governor of the State OR the President.

Threatening isn't uncommon in the US either, which is why the US Marshals have the Witness Protection Program and the Witness Relocation Program.

Isn't it odd that the examples i've set before you is for the so-called: Land of the Free

And here you are speaking about Pakistan. I could give you countless examples of India with similar cases if I were to put 5-man hours on it.

We aren't perfect, but US & certainly India aren't the Gold standards either.

I believe it was Shakespeare who said, "Let's kill all the lawyers".

My good man. Loopholes exists in the Legal System all over the World. For someone living in the US, I would've assumed you'd be aware of that.

A convict sentenced to death by Lethal Injection can be pardoned by the Governor of the State OR the President.

Threatening isn't uncommon in the US either, which is why the US Marshals have the Witness Protection Program and the Witness Relocation Program.

Isn't it odd that the examples i've set before you is for the so-called: Land of the Free

And here you are speaking about Pakistan. I could give you countless examples of India with similar cases if I were to put 5-man hours on it.

We aren't perfect, but US & certainly India aren't the Gold standards either.

I believe it was Shakespeare who said, "Let's kill all the lawyers".
Pardon by Head of State --> Exists in India, US, Pakistan
Possibility of threats to the witness --> Exists in India, US, Pakistan
Pardon by Relatives --> Exists in Pakistan only

Back
Top Bottom