What's new

Massive Turkish Naval Exercise Underway & Turkish SOM Missile

cabatli_53

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
DSEi: Turkish cruise missile design breaks cover

Turkey has performed a successful first flight test with an indigenously-developed cruise missile design, which the nation hopes could eventually be integrated with its future fleet of Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighters.

Developed by the Defence Industries Research and Development Institute, or Tubitak Sage, the modular stand-off missile (SOM) design was released by a McDonnell Douglas F-4E 2020 strike aircraft on 9 August.

"The missile hit its target with a high accuracy by covering a distance of over 100nm [185km]," Tubitak Sage said.

41838.jpg

The institute is displaying a full-scale model of the weapon at the Defence & Security Equipment International (DSEi) exhibition in London, UK.

In addition to the recent test involving the F-4E Phantom, Tubitak Sage is also currently working on the integration of the SOM design with the Lockheed F-16 Block 40 fighter for the Turkish air force.
Installation trials have already been performed (below), with the remaining work expected to conclude later this year. A production order is anticipated later, with this to potentially prompt interest from export customers, the institute said.

41839.jpg

Material released by Tubitak Sage describes the SOM as having a release weight of 600kg (1,300lb), including a high-explosive warhead weighing 230kg.

Intended targets for the turbojet-powered design are cited as including command and control facilities, surface-to-air missile sites, parked aircraft and surface ships.

Guidance is provided by using inertial navigation system/global positioning satellite equipment and a terrain-referenced navigation system, with the use of pre-programmed waypoints to avoid air defence assets.

During its terminal attack phase, the weapon's intended target is verified by using an imaging infrared seeker. Its accuracy is described as being "within a few metres".

41841.jpg

"SOM is currently being developed as three variants, in accordance with the requirements of the Turkish air force," said Tubitak Sage. These include the provision of different warhead options.

DSEi: Turkish cruise missile design breaks cover

hope to see Atmaca soon! any recent news about it?

Source

According to the Greek DefenceNet website a massive Turkish naval exercise using live ammunition is currently underway in international waters between the Greek islands of Rhodes & Kastelorizo. The website reports that the fleet consists of OHPerry & Meko200TN class frigates as well as missile FACs of the Kilic class backed by Turkish type 209/1400 submarines, a lone Greek patrol boat was apparetly deployed to monitor the Turkish naval exercise.

The Defencenet.gr article claims that the reason for such a display of naval power is an attempt by Turkey to send a message to Greece & Cyprus to back down in regards to gas drilling in the Aegean.

The Defencenet.gr website also has an article regarding the Turkish developed SOM stand off missile & the range of the missile has officially been revised upwards after testing from 120km to 185km with current efforts by Turkey to integrate the weapon onto the soon to be acquired F-35.

With the SOM 90 percent of the Greek AA defense network is vulnerable with only the PAC-3 providing protection to the remaining 10 percent of Greek territory however in combination with SOM equipped F-35s it becomes clear that any hot conflict in the future between Turkey & Greece will result in devastating loses for Greece on the very first day of hostilities. With regards to the Turkish acquisition of 110+ F-35s & local production to follow soon after, it remains to be seen what Greece will acquire to counter the Turkish acquisition of the F-35.

The fact is the SOM alone has skewed the power balance positively towards Turkey which not only enjoys a numerical superiority over Greece but has gained a decisive tech advantage as well. Turkey in the 80's made the decision to modernize it's military a program that continues to this very day.

Bleh, doesn't really matter greece and turkey are allies. What I'm more interested in is lessening the dependency of our air force on US aircrafts. Swedish or Korean would be nice.

Bleh, doesn't really matter greece and turkey are allies. What I'm more interested in is lessening the dependency of our air force on US aircrafts. Swedish or Korean would be nice.

f-35 isn't a US aircraft. it is a jointly produced aircraft. :D

If it can't maintain the leaks in Wiki leaks I don't think it can maintain any F35 Source code

Cabatli bro just wandering why is your very informative posts above mine? I started this thread lol, did ya hijack it or something?? lol :P

SOM B-1 and SOM B-2 Variants.
B2 has Turkish developed version of BROACH warhead.

som-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Cabatli bro just wandering why is your very informative posts above mine? I started this thread lol, did ya hijack it or something?? lol :P

Most propbably, The website had some problems When I was sending it bro... :)

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

SOM Development

Conceptual Design: 12 months
Initıal Design: 15 Months
Land Test: 24 Months
Flight Test: 24 Months

SOM

IIR Seeker: 640x512 resolution (The Missile which TurAF will use the highest resolution IIR Seeker )
IIR seeker is stabilized with 2 axis gimbal...

Comparison by Navigation Capabilities;
-Only TAURUS KEPD 350 has GPS+INS, YRNS and GRNS navigation methods like SOM.

Comparison by WArheads;
-Storm SHADOW and TAURUS Cruise Missiles have tandem BROACH warheads like SOM B2

Comparison by IIR Seeker;
-All those Missiles have IIR seeker but have lower resolution

According to sources, JSM and SOM cruise missiles would be the main rivals for the certification for F-35's to deploy inner wing stations...

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

som3.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom