What's new

Massive floods across Pakistan | Thousands Killed

We are thinking of POSITIVE

It is a bit timid at the moment due to the recession, financial + socio/economic crisis and ramadam = increased prices etc... There is a lot on the minds of the average citizen.

but will this compound matters Economic costs.....am afraid..here too..it rains heavily and we r in low lying area..TAKE CARE

but will this compound matters Economic costs.....am afraid..here too..it rains heavily and we r in low lying area..TAKE CARE

Ofcourse it will compound matters but you are commenting without understanding the bigger problem:

Pakistani Government and its people have beeb supporting:
  • IDPs
  • Reeling from a very damaging recessions
  • Detrimental impact of the GWOT on the economy
  • Price hike's in tarrif's of fuel, energy and utility
  • Rise in cost of living
  • Rise in Taxes
  • Rise is cost of commodities
  • Now they have to help our brothers and sisters from this disaster
  • Ramadam is coming: I have explained what happens in Ramadan

You fail to consider donor fatigue... Which is a very serious problem.

Just saying "we are in low lying areas... take care" what does that solve, did you look at the wider problem in the country? Did you try to understand why many on this forum feel the way they do?

Ofcourse it will compound matters but you are commenting without understanding the bigger problem:

Pakistani Government and its people have beeb supporting:
  • IDPs
  • Reeling from a very damaging recessions
  • Detrimental impact of the GWOT on the economy
  • Price hike's in tarrif's of fuel, energy and utility
  • Rise in cost of living
  • Rise in Taxes
  • Rise is cost of commodities
  • Now they have to help our brothers and sisters from this disaster
  • Ramadam is coming: I have explained what happens in Ramadan

You fail to consider donor fatigue... Which is a very serious problem.

Just saying "we are in low lying areas... take care" what does that solve, did you look at the wider problem in the country? Did you try to understand why many on this forum feel the way they do?
but our local govt is more efficient...it happened 2 yrs ago when a small DAM when its shutters has to be opened when its capacity was reached and the resulting flood flood and the Govt swung into action with no casualties reported..

but our local govt is more efficient...it happened 2 yrs ago when a small DAM when its shutters has to be opened when its capacity was reached and the resulting flood flood and the Govt swung into action with no casualties reported..

Dude you are comparing a Country wide disaster or a localised event? Do you understand the scale of the devestation within the country? Have you been reading the papers?

This is not one town, village, city, district, this is three bloody provinces.. Let me put it into perspective for you:
PKfloodmap.jpg

This map shows the Indus River and the areas worst affected by the flooding. The floods spread to southern Sindh province after roaring down from the northwest and through the central agricultural heartland of Punjab, along a path at least 1,000 km (620 miles) long.

This is not one town, this is THREE PROVINCES. Get it?

So unless your trolling, by quoting something a meaningless as a localised event and how "your" local government dealt with it is like comparing the Baluchistan Earthquake to Haiti...

Dude you are comparing a Country wide disaster or a localised event? Do you understand the scale of the devestation within the country? Have you been reading the papers?

This is not one town, village, city, district, this is three bloody provinces.. Let me put it into perspective for you:
PKfloodmap.jpg

This is not one town, this is THREE PROVINCES. Get it?

So unless your trolling, by quoting something a meaningless as a localised event and how "your" local government dealt with it is like comparing the Baluchistan Earthquake to Haiti...

an earthquake happens in few minutes..but floods take hours to devastate..

an earthquake happens in few minutes..but floods take hours to devastate..

:rofl: ( That was so dumb im going to use that as a Quote)

.but floods take hours to devastate

I suggest you educate yourself first by reading this:
Flooding

This is an un-precedented event, if your not able to comprehend that then I'm afraid we have nothing further to talk about.

US announces 20 million dollars more in aid for Pakistan

WASHINGTON — The United States announced Tuesday it is increasing its aid to flood-hit Pakistan by another 20 million dollars, bringing the total to 55 million dollars.

Mark Ward, acting director of the US Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, also told reporters that still more aid could be announced as the full scope of the disaster becomes clearer as the weather improves.

"We're announcing an additional 20 million dollars in humanitarian assistance from the United States for the flood-affected citizens of Pakistan," Ward told reporters.

"What we're going to be doing with this additional money is, just as the flood is moving south, we are going to move south," he said.

He said US agencies are distributing the aid via international humanitarian groups as well as Pakistani non-government organizations (NGOs) which are vetted to ensure they are not linked to extremist Islamist groups.

"We're also going to be using Pakistani NGOs that have particular access to parts of the country where we have not been active before," Ward said.

US funds have already been used to help the UN High Commissioner for Refugees provide tents, clothing, food, clean drinking water and medicine to people displaced by floods.

Daniel Feldman, a senior State Department official working on Afghanistan and Pakistan, meanwhile dismissed reports of extremist groups providing aid to needy Pakistanis as "quite overblown."

Referring to US efforts to win public support in a country where anti-American feelings run high, Ward said the US government tries to "brand as much as possible" the aid that it delivers.

"In this crisis, in the face of this disaster, we very much want the Pakistani people to know that the people of the United States are behind them, are helping," Ward said.

For example, US helicopters and other military assets delivering aid "show the flag," while plastic sheeting sent by the US Agency for International Development is stamped with "from the American people," Ward said.

"We do, however, consider exceptions to the branding where it could have an impact on the safety of our aid workers in the field," Ward said.

"And from time to time in Pakistan we take that into account and we waive the branding requirement," he added.

Concerned about anti-American sentiment, the Obama administration is trying to engage more fully with Pakistan, which has long seen Washington as interested only in securing its military cooperation in fighting terrorism.

Last week, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton vowed that Washington will help Pakistan, a top ally in the fight against Islamist militants, cope with its flood disaster "in the days and weeks ahead."

The floods have swamped the Swat Valley, a stronghold of the Taliban and its Al-Qaeda allies. Pakistan launched a major offensive in Swat last year to clear it of Taliban and restore government control.

AFP: US announces 20 million dollars more in aid for Pakistan

razgriz19, may I ask how you or your family are contributing to flood relief? Will you take refugees into your home? Do think it is possible that you and your family may eventually have to evacuate yourselves?

U.S. Army and Pakistani soldiers sit on the cargo bay ramp of a CH-47 heavy-lift helicopter while flying over a flooded area in the Swat Valley on Tuesday, Aug. 10. The United States sent four Chinooks and two Blackhawks to Pakistan and as of Tuesday, delivered 211,000 pounds of supplies and rescued 2,305 people.

ss-100910-pakistan-floods-01.ss_full.jpg

In this image released on Aug. 6, severe flooding continues in northwest Pakistan.
ss-100806-pakistan-03.ss_full.jpg

AID FROM UK

2cr54py.jpg

2w3oo4l.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

16atfmr.jpg

123miqa.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

wmea03.jpg

qysva1.jpg

Muzaffargarh town gives a haunted look

MUZAFFARGARH: Troops and irrigation officials are trying hard to save Muzaffargarh town by plugging breaches in the Tulhairy branch canal, but the situation will remain critical till Thursday, District Coordination Officer (DCO) Farasat Iqbal said on Tuesday.

An irrigation official said a fresh flood of 750,000 cusecs in the Indus was likely to hit the already inundated areas of Kot Addu, Sanawan, Gurmani and Qasba Gujrat.

Almost the entire Kot Addu tehsil is under water.

Muzaffargarh looks like a haunted town as most of its inhabitants have migrated. The district administration had ordered evacuation of the town on Monday morning, forcing about 750,000 residents, including over 300,000 displaced people, to leave because of looming floods in the Chenab and breaches in the canal.

The flow of the Chenab is still increasing. The DCO said all dykes protecting the town were being monitored.

Evacuation of the locals and those coming from villages flooded earlier continued.

All shops, restaurants and relief camps were shut and the people left there are awaiting transport and facing an extreme shortage of food.

Shaukat Ali of Budh, who was heading towards Multan on a motorcycle with his family, said petrol was not available and his children were hungry because they did not have any food and milk.

Most of the localities, including the Faisal Stadium, Mohallah Sheikhupura and Railway Phatak, were empty except for a few people sitting outside their homes.

Tahir Shah of Railway Phatak said his family was in Multan and he was guarding his house. He said most of the families had left one or two people to guard their areas.

FLOODS:

A high flood in the Chenab has inundated more parts of Muradabad, Loharwala, Jatoi and Alipur.

Water from a breach in the Muzaffargarh canal near Nusratwala is heading towards Shah Jamal and Muzaffargarh town. It is 8km away from the Muzaffargarh thermal power plant.

Officials said the plant was safe because there was a 5km desert range between it and Adda Lakhi on the Mahmood Kot road.

There are six breaches in the Muzaffargarh canal and about the same number in the Taunsa-Punjnad canal that have submerged the Kot Addu and Muzaffargarh tehsils for the past seven days.

Traffic between Muzaffargarh and Dera Ghazi Khan is suspended because of five to six feet deep water on the road.

Patients are facing immense difficulties because of the closure of the district headquarters hospital for the past three days. Doctors and paramedics have left the hospital for safe places.

The administration has sent all the 45 nurses of the hospital to the cardiology institute in Multan.

MIANWALI:

Floodwater has again entered Purana Mari, Kalabagh and the kutcha area spread on both sides of the Indus from the Jinnah barrage to the Chashma barrage. People are again moving towards safe places.

Got this article from Friend

Dear Mr. President, It's quite pathetic and sad that I'm forced to call you that, because the vast majority of this nation as well as myself don't regard you as a President let alone a sane human being fit to live in this world. How you got to where you are now was the... most disgusting display of corruption and heartlessness I have ever seen in my entire life, and I thought rigging polls were bad enough; you killed your own wife! Was that the only way you could have taken over Pakistan? By emotionally blackmailing people to voting for you and your corrupt party? It's hilarious to see you trying to compare yourself to the likes of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto or even Muhammad Ali Jinnah. You are in no way, shape or form even in the same universe as those people. As stuck up as Bhutto was, he did a lot for this nation and the youth responded to him. When he spoke of development and progress, they listened to him. When you speak, nobody gives a damn. Why? Because you're not really our President, you're just another guy who's filling up his Swiss Bank Account. Mister Ten Percent eh? More like Mister One Hundred Percent now. You promised us democracy, you failed. You promised us a stable economy, you failed. You promised us peace and security, you failed. You promised us a new age in politics, you failed. You promised to eradicate power outages, you failed. What good have you brought this nation? What Gunnah did the people of Pakistan commit to have you as the leader of this nation? Instead of doing what you promised, you have allowed American intelligence agencies to wreek havoc in Khyber Pakthunkhwa and now the rest of Pakistan sadly. And for what? So you can fill up your Swiss Bank Account with American dollars. How do you sleep every night? How do you sleep knowing that God is watching your every move? Do you have any shame? Don't you fear that one day what you have done you will be accountable for? I doesn't seem like it. I'm not criticizing you simply for the sake of it or because I belong to a rival party. Infact, all political parties in Pakistan are run by crooks and thieves be it Nawaz Sharif or Altaf Hussain. You all deserve to die...and die horrible deaths might I add. What I'm writing here is not only the sentiments of one person, but of an entire nation. Trust me on this one, you will pay for what you've done to Pakistan and if not in this life than in the next one surely. If you truly love Pakistan, which I honestly doubt you do, step down and admit to what you've done and what you are doing right now. But we all know it won't happen. You are not of that caliber as people like Quaid-e-Azam, Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, Allama Iqbal, Abdul Sattar Edhi and countless others who have earned there way into the hearts of everyone in Pakistan. If you have no intention to change and help Pakistan and the people of this great country, then people like you belong in prison. They should rot there until they die, so then they can burn in hell for eternity after that, because that's where you're going - Hell. I'd start packing some ice if I were you. Do humanity a favour. Step down and get lost. Thank You, From The People of Pakistan P.S: Take you retarded EMO son Bilawal Zardari with you

At least 40 killed in GB rains, landslides

Wednesday, 11 Aug, 2010

DIAMER: Severe rains, lightning and land sliding in the Diamer district of Gilgit-Baltistan on Wednesday killed at least 40 people, including four women and 29 children.

According to sources, rains along with lighting destroyed hundreds of houses in the Gaisbala and Doga villages of the district.

Several bodies were pulled out from the debris as the local administration was busy in rescue operations, trying to search and save other affected victims.

Experts said the Diamer incident took place due to the cloud burst.

Meanwhile, Shahrah-i-Karakoram, which was still closed due to floods and land sliding for the past 12 days, had caused severe shortages of food items in the Gilgit-Baltistan areas.—DawnNews

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | At least 40 killed in GB rains, landslides

Back
Top Bottom