What's new

Massive flooding in Zhengzhou, Henan

Unfortunately some of the subway passengers have perished. RIP.

1626794155021.jpeg

1626796679631.jpeg

Those who escaped made it by the skin of their teeth. Kudos to the rescuers.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Apologies if its a stupid question but why are people riding the underground during torrential rains?

200 mm of water got dumped on the city within a span of an hour. People pretty much got caught with their pants down with this one. City in Northern China don't usually deal with rain/flooding of this magnitude, not since the 1980s anyway.

200 mm of water got dumped on the city within a span of an hour. People pretty much got caught with their pants down with this one. City in Northern China don't usually deal with rain/flooding of this magnitude, not since the 1980s anyway.

don‘t people in China monitor local weather like we do here in the US? The local met office should have weather radar and advance warning of torrential rainfall?

don‘t people in China monitor local weather like we do here in the US? The local met office should have weather radar and advance warning of torrential rainfall?

They did. They just went about not thinking that it was going to be serious. Local government are to blame for not shutting the metro down and clearing the streets in time. Earlier in the morning they actually had a emergency meeting planning for contingencies... 🤦‍♂️

They did. They just went about not thinking that it was going to be serious. Local government are to blame for not shutting the metro down and clearing the streets in time. Earlier in the morning they actually had a emergency meeting planning for contingencies... 🤦‍♂️

In the US and Europe I always check the weather before I leave home it often dictates my choice of clothing and transportation. In London, I’d stay home at the merest hint of snow while in Norway I’d ignore snow with the exception of blizzards. In Dubai, I’d never even look at local weather ditto in Cairo or KL. In these cities the emphasis on local weather isn’t as strong as it is in Europe or the US. I wondered if there is a strong local interest in the weather in Chinese cities or is the weather so stable that most don’t even bother checking?

In the US and Europe I always check the weather before I leave home it often dictates my choice of clothing and transportation. In London, I’d stay home at the merest hint of snow while in Norway I’d ignore snow with the exception of blizzards. In Dubai, I’d never even look at local weather ditto in Cairo or KL. In these cities the emphasis on local weather isn’t as strong as it is in Europe or the US. I wondered if there is a strong local interest in the weather in Chinese cities or is the weather so stable that most don’t even bother checking?

I think there is a combination of factors at work here. Around this time of the year cities in central/northern China usually have to worry about drought, not torrential rain. Locals also probably didn't have informal lessons/drills on what to do in a flooding situation. A close comparison would be how a week of blizzard caused major headaches in Texas this February -- we never expected this kind of weather condition and our infrastructure wasn't designed to handle it.

But I think that the authorities should've known better and shut down public transport/road systems. It is a better safe than sorry type of scenario.

I think there is a combination of factors at work here. Around this time of the year cities in central/northern China usually have to worry about drought, not torrential rain. Locals also probably didn't have informal lessons/drills on what to do in a flooding situation. A close comparison would be how a week of blizzard caused major headaches in Texas this February -- we never expected this kind of weather condition and our infrastructure wasn't designed to handle it.

But I think that the authorities should've known better and shut down public transport/road systems. It is a better safe than sorry type of scenario.

How about these things

Back
Top Bottom