What's new

Martin Jacques: Understanding the rise of China

Goldman Sachs predicted that China would overtake the US economy by 2020? That is a bit soon I think.

Anyway... I agree with Martin Jacques' proposition, that China can be characterized as a "civilization-state".

Chinese people have always been unified by a shared sense of belonging to the same Chinese civilization, whether one lives in Hong Kong or in Beijing.

Last edited:
Goldman Sachs predicted that China would overtake the US economy by 2020? That is a bit soon I think.

Anyway... I agree with Martin Jacques' proposition, that China can be characterized as a "civilization-state".

Chinese people have always been unified by a shared sense of belonging to the same Chinese civilization, whether one lives in Hong Kong or in Beijing.

Golf was invented by the Mings omgosh. I still like the Han empires better.

I think all of these small Chinese ethnic groups like the Manchus are going to eventually call themselves Hans too and join in this big blob civilization state.

I think all of these small Chinese ethnic groups like the Manchus are going to eventually call themselves Hans too and join in this big blob civilization state.

There are like 5 million Manchus in China (the definition of Manchu is that "Manchu" is written on your ethnicity slot on your national ID card). The number of Manchu speakers, is less than 100.

Even in the Qing Dynasty, the number of Manchu speakers among Manchus was something like 5%.

The assimilation of almost all ethnic groups by Han is inevitable. You can't even tell Mongols, Manchu, Bai, Tujia, etc. apart from Han. Only Kazakhs, Russians and Uighurs stand out, because they're white.

There are like 5 million Manchus in China (the definition of Manchu is that "Manchu" is written on your ethnicity slot on your national ID card). The number of Manchu speakers, is less than 100.

Even in the Qing Dynasty, the number of Manchu speakers among Manchus was something like 5%.

The assimilation of almost all ethnic groups by Han is inevitable. You can't even tell Mongols, Manchu, Bai, Tujia, etc. apart from Han. Only Kazakhs, Russians and Uighurs stand out, because they're white.

I can tell Tibetans and Uighurs.

Most people cant tell between Koreans, Chinese a part either. Koreans are taller thats what I have noticed.

000bcdb95f1709e132421f.jpg

《仕女图》 杜堇 明 ming dynasty painting

the game played in 500BC 春秋 in china

I can tell Tibetans and Uighurs.

Most people cant tell between Koreans, Chinese a part either. Koreans are taller thats what I have noticed.

Koreans are indeed statistically taller than Chinese and Japanese. We must wonder then why despite their physical tallness, they are so militarily weak, from 1000 years ago to now.

Koreans are indeed statistically taller than Chinese and Japanese. We must wonder then why despite their physical tallness, they are so militarily weak, from 1000 years ago to now.

northen chinese are genetically taller, koreans alike, nutrition matters too, and young generations often taller

northen chinese are genetically taller, koreans alike, nutrition matters too, and young generations often taller

Yes, Its seems all the migrants children in USA are taller then their parents.

My dad is 5'5-5'6!! Im know 5'10 and my brother 6'!!

Though I think my tall grandfather had something to do with it too.

But its the same for my Korean friend, MUCH taller then his parents.

Yes, Its seems all the migrants children in USA are taller then their parents.

My dad is 5'5-5'6!! Im know 5'10 and my brother 6'!!

Though I think my tall grandfather had something to do with it too.

But its the same for my Korean friend, MUCH taller then his parents.

Yao Ming and YI Jianlian

res03_attpic_brief.jpg

You cannot say they are small when you talk about Chinese ethinc groups. Any group is comparable in terms of numbers when compared to other countries around the world!

As for Ming, Han or what not, it does not matter. The only thing that matter is, they are all "Chinese". They all speak mandarin, live on the same united motherland, spend the same currency and fly the same flag. :cheers:

They were not that weak, the failure of conquering Korea was one of the reasons Sui dynasty collapsed, and the greatest emperor of Tang dynasty alse failed in annexing Korea, his son succeeded though.

As for the Japanese invasion, they were a medieval country, no different from us, fighting agaist an industrialized power, it was a lost cause.

Back
Top Bottom