ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Markhor, blind dolphin no longer endangered, claims PM’s adviser
October 03, 2019

5d9577c983d60.jpg

Markhor and the blind dolphin, which were on the verge of extinction in the country, have made a successful comeback, claimed Adviser to the Prime Minister on Climate Change Malik Amin Aslam on Wednesday. — AFP/File

ISLAMABAD: Markhor and the blind dolphin, which were on the verge of extinction in the country, have made a successful comeback, claimed Adviser to the Prime Minister on Climate Change Malik Amin Aslam on Wednesday.

“Although there is no credible data of every species in the country, some species are being monitored. The Markhor and the blind dolphin have come out of the list of animals at risk of getting extinct,” Malik Amin Aslam said while sharing the success story with the National Assembly Standing Committee on Climate Change.

Since 1947, the department of Zoological Survey of Pakistan has failed to conduct a survey of species in the country or prepare a red list of endangered animals, Ministry of Climate Change, Joint Secretary Administration Suleman Khan told the committee.

“There is no credible data available of all species in Pakistan. Surveys conducted by provincial departments on biodiversity did not adopt international methodologies and were merely formalities thus not accepted worldwide,” Suleman Khan said.

Fresh survey will be carried out of all species based on a standardised format, the joint secretary says

Spread over four years, a fresh survey will be carried out of all species, the joint secretary said, adding that the survey would be based on a standardised format. The first exercise along these lines will be launched this year, he added.

Responding to a question on trophy hunting of Markhors, Suleman Khan said the government only issued 12 permits a year, four each for the Suleman Markhor, Kashmir Markhor and Astor Markhor.

“Markhor is the most expensive trophy in Pakistan which fetches over $100,000 per licence. Unless the authentic numbers of Markhor population are confirmed after the surveys, the government will not increase the number of permits despite considerable pressure,” the senior official said.

PTI ministers/advisers are quite famous for making bogus claims
maybe he should back it up with some sort of a reference

The's a number of markers for wildlife protection, and coming out of the endangered category is only a step towards normalcy.
  • Extinct (EX)
  • Extinct in the Wild (EW)
  • Critically Endangered (CR)
  • Endangered (EN)
  • Vulnerable (VU)
  • Near Threatened (NT)
  • Least Concern (LC)
  • Data Deficient (DD)
  • Not Evaluated (NE)
Further information would be welcome, bust still good news if true.

Bullshit.
I go to the north a lot. Yes markhor are recovering but slowly. The people often confuse markhor with ibex.
Here is a pic of me holding a ibex horn on my trek after is was killed by a snow leaopard a few days earlier. Each ring indicates 1 year of life. On my way to Laila Peak
20190626_122912-01.jpeg

Bullshit.
I go to the north a lot. Yes markhor are recovering but slowly. The people often confuse markhor with ibex.
Here is a pic of me holding a ibex horn on my trek after is was killed by a snow leaopard a few days earlier. Each ring indicates 1 year of life. On my way to Laila Peak
View attachment 582290
Yes Markhoor is much larger than Ibex

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom