What's new

Mark II to be a world winner: DRDO

ironman1

Reaction score
NATION

13 July 2012, New Delhi, Pinaki Bhattacharya

The advanced Mark II version of the indigenously built, Arjun Main Battle Tank [MBT], is undergoing ‘development trials’ since last month in the presence of representatives of the user agency, the army. ‘The current phase of trials is expected to continue till September 2012,’ a source in the Defence Research and Development Organisation [DRDO] said.

Though the senior levels of the army have decided to hold back their counsel till the end of the trials, the DRDO claims that the army sought 89 changes upon the Mark I model, and all 89 of them have been incorporated in the final version of the Mark II. ‘We have done that in record two years,’ a source said. The changes include 19 improvements, which are major. For example, the main gun can now launch missiles; the tank commander in Mark I just had a viewer which gave a panoramic view of the battle-field, now night vision capability to the commander’s viewer. That means the night blindness will no longer be a problem either for the gunner [he had night vision even in Mark I] or the commander. The DRDO source claimed that Mark II will be capable of performing day and night in ‘hunt and kill mode’.

Advanced explosive reactive armour [ERA] has been incorporated for additional protection for the tank and its crew. Mine ploughs have also been installed. Added to this, is the remote firing capability with 360 degree coverage for the Air Defence weapon.

Experts say that there are three main elements that constitute the attributes of a MBT: armour, firepower and maneuverability. To attain optimal level in one element is to give in to sub-optimality in another. For example, the German tank Leopold has heavy armour but is not all that maneuverable. The American Abrams is focused on fire-power. The Israeli Merkava IV has fast maneuverability.

The DRDO sources say that all the protection army wanted for survivability, have made the Mark II heavy, but its powerful engine provides it enough maneuverability. Also, a unique feature of the tank is that it can pivot around 360 degrees, while firing its main gun.

The sources however do not want to indulge in any discussion about the specifications of the tank. But they claim, ‘It is noteworthy that these 89 changes, make Arjun Mark II among the best tanks in the world in its class.’

Mark II to be a world winner: DRDO | Millennium Post
-----------------------------------------------

NATION

13 July 2012, New Delhi, Pinaki Bhattacharya

The advanced Mark II version of the indigenously built, Arjun Main Battle Tank [MBT], is undergoing ‘development trials’ since last month in the presence of representatives of the user agency, the army. ‘The current phase of trials is expected to continue till September 2012,’ a source in the Defence Research and Development Organisation [DRDO] said.

Though the senior levels of the army have decided to hold back their counsel till the end of the trials, the DRDO claims that the army sought 89 changes upon the Mark I model, and all 89 of them have been incorporated in the final version of the Mark II. ‘We have done that in record two years,’ a source said. The changes include 19 improvements, which are major. For example, the main gun can now launch missiles; the tank commander in Mark I just had a viewer which gave a panoramic view of the battle-field, now night vision capability to the commander’s viewer. That means the night blindness will no longer be a problem either for the gunner [he had night vision even in Mark I] or the commander. The DRDO source claimed that Mark II will be capable of performing day and night in ‘hunt and kill mode’.

Advanced explosive reactive armour [ERA] has been incorporated for additional protection for the tank and its crew. Mine ploughs have also been installed. Added to this, is the remote firing capability with 360 degree coverage for the Air Defence weapon.

Experts say that there are three main elements that constitute the attributes of a MBT: armour, firepower and maneuverability. To attain optimal level in one element is to give in to sub-optimality in another. For example, the German tank Leopold has heavy armour but is not all that maneuverable. The American Abrams is focused on fire-power. The Israeli Merkava IV has fast maneuverability.

The DRDO sources say that all the protection army wanted for survivability, have made the Mark II heavy, but its powerful engine provides it enough maneuverability. Also, a unique feature of the tank is that it can pivot around 360 degrees, while firing its main gun.

The sources however do not want to indulge in any discussion about the specifications of the tank. But they claim, ‘It is noteworthy that these 89 changes, make Arjun Mark II among the best tanks in the world in its class.’

Mark II to be a world winner: DRDO | Millennium Post
-----------------------------------------------

All this hoopla regarding a tank which can be used only in one region?

Arjun is a misfit in the overall strategy and geographical territory it will be operational.

Only for the plains and deserts can Arjun be useful and when you come to a bridge which cannot take Arjun's weight what will you do?? Despite the ferrari of Tanks, you need the roads to run it on too...

The Mark IIs once inducted around 2014 along with Upgraded T-90s will go a long way in ensuring Indian borders are safe .. India should also quicken its R&D on FMBTs

Arjun is a misfit in the overall strategy and geographical territory it will be operational.

Only for the plains and deserts can Arjun be useful and when you come to a bridge which cannot take Arjun's weight what will you do?? Despite the ferrari of Tanks, you need the roads to run it on too...

Dont be too critical on Mark II version ,they seem to have overcome most of loopholes from the earlier version

Dont be too critical on Mark II version ,they seem to have overcome most of loopholes from the earlier version
How can they reduce the weight now, Mark II is 55 tons.. it can only be used in one terrain, for others T-90 will be the mainstay till FMBT does not come into the picture.. I guess the Army against what I thought earlier is actually giving it a life...

they haven't discussed all the changes brought according to the Military specifications so who knows what exactly Arjun Mk2 can do. Even the exact weight, exact width and other major specifications are unknown.

Let the trials complete. If it impresses the Indian army then indeed it will be the world's best.

they haven't discussed all the changes brought according to the Military specifications so who knows what exactly Arjun Mk2 can do. Even the exact weight, exact width and other major specifications are unknown.

Let the trials complete. If it impresses the Indian army then indeed it will be the world's best.
Some sources are quoting it above 55 tons too... it looks that it will be above 55 tons and much heavier than T-90s (less than 50 tons)

How can they reduce the weight now, Mark II is 55 tons.. it can only be used in one terrain, for others T-90 will be the mainstay till FMBT does not come into the picture.. I guess the Army against what I thought earlier is actually giving it a life...

The powerful Arjun will complement the lightweight T-90s and in future FMBTs very well .... when me and you know that Arjuns may not suit all terrains then dont you think the Indian Army knows what it wants too ? ... Arjun MBTs will be dominating in the western borders and Indian army needed a terrific fighting machine like that there .... If there is any shortage of light weight MBTs we have the license we can manufacture T-90s anytime we want in Avadhi factory .

T-90s can be used more at Chinese borders and Arjuns at Pak borders

Oh boy ..... How many phases of trials are there ????
June trials were over. Tests were good. Now what the hell hey are going to test till Sept ???

Some sources are quoting it above 55 tons too... it looks that it will be above 55 tons and much heavier than T-90s (less than 50 tons)

as they say, they have upgraded it so only after the conclusion of trials we can exactly say if its hit or flop. 55 short tons is okay for transportation.

Oh boy ..... How many phases of trials are there ????
June trials were over. Tests were good. Now what the hell hey are going to test till Sept ???

waiting for winter trials lol

as they say, they have upgraded it so only after the conclusion of trials we can exactly say if its hit or flop. 55 short tons is okay for transportation.
Is it okay in mountain terrains? what about the bridges which are not meant to take that weight?

waiting for winter trials lol

DRDO says world class.

Army says we dont want World class, we want out of the world class.

Back to modification, trails, blames and .....

DRDO is the only Agency in India pointing at which pakistanis can laugh . They Overshoot Costs , timelines and their projects ( at least quite a few of them) are not seen in positive light by our defense Forces . I think there sould be 49 % of Private partership in DRDO with private companies like Larsen and Toubro , Tata , Mahindra etc . That will really change the Face of DRDO . Lets hope This time Arjun impresses IA .

The powerful Arjun will complement the lightweight T-90s and in future FMBTs very well .... when me and you know that Arjuns may not suit all terrains then dont you think the Indian Army knows what it wants too ? ... Arjun MBTs will be dominating in the western borders and Indian army needed a terrific fighting machine like that there .... If there is any shortage of light weight MBTs we have the license we can manufacture T-90s anytime we want in Avadhi factory .

T-90s can be used more at Chinese borders and Arjuns at Pak borders
It will but not throughout the Pak border, also it will be limited in areas of deserts only.. a bridge comes and guess what!!! :P

It will but not throughout the Pak border, also it will be limited in areas of deserts only.. a bridge comes and guess what!!! :P

Whats your fantasy with bridges?? where is it reproted that Arjun is not fit for bridges?? and what bridges are you talking about? all the bridges developed by DRDO can take more than 70 tons. Arjuns are meant for westerns sector. For northern areas, light tanks can only work. and as far as weight is concerned, army demanded addition of ERA that results in increase in weight and army did that keeping in mind the limitations of the infrastructure in the western sector.

Mark 2 is heavy. But it isn't that much you think.
Every tank formation carry a portable bridge with them and those portable bridges have carried Arjun successfully in Past :D so nothing to guess
( 5m and 10m bridges are inducted and 15 and 20meter are being tested in Pune )

Sand don't sink Arjun as Pakistani say or wish. It just slow it down in particular type of sand.

Back
Top Bottom