What's new

Mark II to be a world winner: DRDO

the IA was not interested because it could not be carried on goods train. In hilly region if you go, you will see how those bridges are built. That is not the problem .
The problem is its range, its fire control and maneuvering mechanism.

nope,Arjun specific goods train is already inducted.and Arjun's speed is better in off-road too..i don't know why some members are freaking out,but its IA who ordered something that is bound to be heavier.and transportation of tanks is not DRDO's problem.In our Country most of the bridges can't carry upto 30 ton.most roads aren't build for 20 tons vehicle.so,where they can't use heavy tanks,they'll use AFV,Light Tanks etc.and where they can use these tanks,they will use it.a tank doesn't have to climb mountains or swim river.they will be provided right route to cross Rivers.that goes for soft grounds too.Engineering corps is responsible to check these issues.Arjun MK II will be used in Pak border and Plains.don't worry about their transportation.

Do you have a image of it ???

this is arjun bridge layer...

arjun_blt.jpg

Arjun BLT Armored Bridgelayer | Military-Today.com

size of this bridge is 24-26m.

I have seen 4/5 Bridge layers being transported on NH-4 on road carriers last month. Surprisingly they were 3layers unlike the image in below link which has 2 layers. Try to measure the length before the centry shoo us off. It was more than 10m
Arjun BLT Armored Bridgelayer | Military-Today.com
Do you have a image of it ???

I have read about this Sarvatra Truck-Mounted Bridging System

bridges.jpg
Length: 15-20 metres span.

Width: 4 metres - fully decked.

Multi-span Capacity: Up to 100 units.

Load Class: MLC-70.

Pier Height: 2.5 to 6.0 meters.

Chassis: Tatra (8x8).

Construction Time: 15 to 20 minutes per span.

Comments: DRDO has developed a wheel based universal bridging system to overcome obstacles or varied nature at remote/hostile locations, capable of carrying MLC-70 traffic. It features state of the art trestle-cum-span bridge. A single span bridge can cover a width of 15 to 20 meters and a multi-span bridge can cover upto 100 meters, providing a roadway of 4 meters. The bridge could be launched/recovered from either end in 15 to 20 minutes.

But i want to know that if a tank is 60 plus tons(Mark 2) and the max load of a bridge is 70 tons, will te tank be allowed?

I saw a video long back, a US Army dude was saying that normally if the weight of a vehicle is 50 tons then we use a MLC-70 specification bridge.. I have no Idea how it is in IA... or if that person was over cautious..

thats what I meant, it is meant for only those areas.. then why expect very big orders when DRDO knew that Army will not buy it en mass..
I don't know what you mean by this?
thinking-002.gif

The bridges which can cover 100 meters are they inducted into the army now? Any links you have?
Have you heard of the The Sarvatra & BLT-T-72, both with a Cl of 70?

Apart from ground mobility, they are difficult to airlift too.. Which bridges are you talking about?
Difficult to airlift? Why do you think the C-17 Globemasters were inducted? With a payload of 164,900 pounds (72 tons)these aircraft are eminently suited for transportation of Arjuns that weigh less than 60 tons.

Here's the Big Daddy...

C-17-Globemaster_III_Heavy_Transport_Aircraft_1.jpg

web_030409-F-8705R-577.jpg

Ground crews load a 66 ton Abrams tank onto a
C-17 Globemaster III aircraft here.

Cheers!

nope,Arjun specific goods train is already inducted.and Arjun's speed is better in off-road too..i don't know why some members are freaking out,but its IA who ordered something that is bound to be heavier.and transportation of tanks is not DRDO's problem.In our Country most of the bridges can't carry upto 30 ton.most roads aren't build for 20 tons vehicle.so,where they can't use heavy tanks,they'll use AFV,Light Tanks etc.and where they can use these tanks,they will use it.a tank doesn't have to climb mountains or swim river.they will be provided right route to cross Rivers.that goes for soft grounds too.Engineering corps is responsible to check these issues.Arjun MK II will be used in Pak border and Plains.don't worry about their transportation.

No one is freaking out, we are just discussing mate. The discussion turned to the load capability of the existing platforms as there is some news that Arjun Mark 2 will be heavier than 60 tons..

Now, Im sure that for Arjun Mark 1 itself lot of changes were done.. My contention was that we should have made a tank in the class of T-90S to have been used widely.. My contention is NOT that it is a useless tank!

the suspension of the tank is designed in such a way that the overall pressure per sqr. feet will be very low. Plus bridges are not weak that they cannot uphold 55 tons of weight. even a Roadroler weighs 20-25 tons easily.

And in hilly region the same problems will be faced by the enemy force. Finally Tanks are not to climb peaks.

Normal road roller is just 10 Ton. Its called a 10 ton roller. And heavy rollers are not transported above even express highway bridges in developed countries unless axle load is reduced using huge low bed with lot of wheels. They take alternate routes. forget using bridges along borders. If it can take 45 to 50 tons then they may as well take 55 to 60 tons. but I doubt if they can even take 45 tons point load, so lets use DRDO bridges.

NATION

Mark II to be a world winner: DRDO

13 July 2012, New Delhi, Pinaki Bhattacharya
For example, the main gun can now launch missiles; the tank commander in Mark I just had a viewer which gave a panoramic view of the battle-field, now night vision capability to the commander’s viewer. That means the night blindness will no longer be a problem either for the gunner [he had night vision even in Mark I] or the commander. The DRDO source claimed that Mark II will be capable of perf
orming day and night in ‘hunt and kill mode’.

The remote firing capability with 360 degree coverage for the Air Defence weapon.

Experts say that there are three main elements that constitute the attributes of a MBT: armour, firepower and maneuverability.

The DRDO sources say that all the protection army wanted for survivability, have made the Mark II heavy, but its powerful engine provides it enough maneuverability. Also, a unique feature of the tank is that it can pivot around 360 degrees, while firing its main gun.

All of the above mentioned points are already present in Al-Khalid. So, Al-Khalid 2 is obviously going to be better than Al-Khalid 1. Looking at these facts, I don't think that Arjun II will be 'World winner' when most of it's newer capabilities are already present in old tanks of Pakistan.

All of the above mentioned points are already present in Al-Khalid. So, Al-Khalid 2 is obviously going to be better than Al-Khalid 1. Looking at these facts, I don't think that Arjun II will be 'World winner' when most of it's newer capabilities are already present in old tanks of Pakistan.

Oh so by your logic all BVR planes are equal?? and a brand new F 35 can not be a world winner because old planes like Mirage 2000 etc also already have a BVR ??

Oh so by your logic all BVR planes are equal?? and a brand new F 35 can not be a world winner because old planes like Mirage 2000 etc also already have a BVR ??
Don't blame me for what you interpreted wrong. My logic is that Al-Khalid II will be better than Arjun II. The work on Al-Khalid II was stopped and the two prototypes were kept aside in HIT, without any attention and they faced hardware problems because of no oil or maintenance was given to them for years. After PA found the specifications of Arjun II, the work on Al-Khalid II has resumed and it will ensure to be superior to the Arjun II on papers, cannot say about battle field and non of the tanks are operational yet. Arjun II maybe the best tank of India, but it is not 'World winner'.

No offence guys, im just another citizen who sees that our defence projects are not well thought out.. I have no doubts on the capability of the tank but think a lighter tank would have been cheaper and better overall.. :argh: :cry:

Don't blame me for what you interpreted wrong. My logic is that Al-Khalid II will be better than Arjun II. The work on Al-Khalid II was stopped and the two prototypes were kept aside in HIT, without any attention and they faced hardware problems because of no oil or maintenance was given to them for years. After PA found the specifications of Arjun II, the work on Al-Khalid II has resumed and it will ensure to be superior to the Arjun II on papers, cannot say about battle field and non of the tanks are operational yet. Arjun II maybe the best tank of India, but it is not 'World winner'.

Reasonable.. Now whether its a world winner or not, remains to be seen but I do think that our DRDO chief though is a little over excited for his own good :)

How many tanks do IA have and how many are Arjuns???
Currently I think there are plans to have a tank force of 4000 tanks. It would have been bigger but we realized that tanks are no good for the indo china border so nearly all these 4000 are just for pakistan. By my count there should be 2000 T72s, 1650 T90s, 250 Arjuns. Currently the upgradation of only 1000 T72s is taking place which leads me to believe(my personal opinion) that the IA will replace the un upgraded T72s with the Arjun mk2(if they find it to their liking) and then will replace the upgraded T72s with the FMBT(around 2022-2025)

How can you say that the AK-II (whose basic design is based on old Soviet tanks) will definitively be better than the Arjun MK.II? By all accounts the Arjun on paper is superior- in terms of mobility, fire control, survivabilty, network-centric connectivity etc

(baring in mind this is just for Mk.I):

P5200036.JPG

"World-winner" seems fitting.

Back
Top Bottom